Windows XP - Why won't emulators work?

ahem I’m actually a ‘her’, thank you very much. We’ll just let that one slide.

But really, aren’t ROM’s legal if you have the actual games for them? Because I do in fact have the games I’m trying to download. And everything worked just fine on my Gateway with Windows 98. I’m not trying to do anything “illegal” here. I’m just trying to play some games. It’s not like I’m downloading the games to sell them or anything. LordVor, I’d be willing to bet that you have some MP3’s on your computer, or have a burned CD made with “illegal” MP3’s that were downloaded from the internet.

A thought that first came to mind was that you didn’t have the correct video driver installed, but I assumed a Dell PC came with everything set-up.

Is it on-board video or a known make of video card?

Noted.

IANAL. The ‘backup copy’ argument seems to depend entirely on the copywrite notice on the game in question. In any case, I believe that you’d have to have a PROM reader and make the copy yourself to be entirely legal even in that case. You’re denying the game’s copywrite holder’s right to profit from future legitamate platform-specific releases of the games by running an emulator version of the game on that platform. But at the same time, you’re creating the market for the games in question by keeping them alive. That’s a matter of debate, and I’m not sure what side of it I’m on. So I’m not going to debate it.

What I do know is that any site that nintendo finds discussing things like ‘emulators’ and ‘proms’ tend to get the ‘First Strike Copywrite Lawyers of Death’ treatment, and I do not wish that upon this message board.

Well, you’d be wrong on the second. All MP3s on my system are from legally purchased CDs, as I appreciate the works of the artists and wish to fund them in their efforts. But you don’t find me asking here how to go about burning the mp3s, or downloading them off the internet, or burning them onto cds, because this site takes a narrow view of copywrite issues. And I respect that.

-lv

First, copyright,' damn you. ;) It's related to the right’ to make `copies.’

Second, there is a little, oft-neglected thing called fair use. That means you can not only time-shift property, meaning you can tape a movie to watch later, but you can move property you have licensed to other media. That’s what the OP is doing.

You mean it’s not the ability to ‘write copies’? :slight_smile: oops.

Did you read the part where I talked about it being completely legal if she has a prom reader and made the copy herself? If she doesn’t, then she’s not moving the property she has licensed to other media, she’s employing an agent who has made a copy some other physical prom that happens to contain the same program that resides on a prom that she owns. Which may or may not be legal on her part (IANAL), but is certainly illegal on the agent’s part, as he has no idea whether or not the people he’s distributing to have legal copies of the games.

Anyhow, I’ve likely overstepped my junior modding bounds. Shutting up now.

-lv

LordVor, thanks for helping clue me in on the whole “copyright” issue. Sorry if I sounded snooty there. I’m just not the biggest computer whiz and I lose patience pretty easily when I can’t figure things out! I wasn’t trying to pass judgement or anything.

Anyway, I still can’t get the emulators to work right. I’m really at a loss. We can play other games just fine on the computer, like Everquest and Command and Conquer, and I don’t know why those would work and emulators won’t. I cant even ger a regular Nintendo or Sega emulator to work. Maybe someday I’ll figure it out. But for now, thanks for the help everyone! I appreciate it.

No problem. I wasn’t trying to be a hardass, either. I’ve pirated more than my share of software in my day, although I’ve always ended up owning legit copies of stuff I felt was worth it. But again, I wouldn’t discuss the hows and wheres on a board that has rules against posting about any illegal activities, and that was the point I was going for.

-lv

In case people thought I was talking out my ass, here is a FAQ I came across today detailing the console game developer’s position on emulators and ROMs. Quote on their take on ‘fair use’/ backup copies:

-lv

Windows XP broke compatibility with DOS games (XP is the first desktop Windows which isn’t based on DOS). I believe most older games were programmed for DOS because it was easier to get closer to the machine. There was a loud outcry about this from the gamer community, but moving on to the NT kernel and breaking DOS compatibility was the only thing to do to ensure a (slightly) more stable operating system.

It sucks you can’t use emulators, but you can install Linux and dual-boot. Zsnes and Snes9x, for example, run fine on Linux.

And for those who bring up copyright issues, look at the huge array of homemade ROMs available, games made and distributed for free by kind programmers. Many people use emulators for those.

UnuMondo

But she has the same OS, emulator and version of DirectX as I do but still cannot play. It must be that something is missing. Of course as I said, I’m out of ideas. I can only suggest make sure your copy of XP is completely up to date. Doing the Start - Windows Update brings up a lot of critical updates, as well as many non-critical ones. Use your discretion as to which one of the latter to install.