Wireless Networks and Wireless Phone problem

About 2 years ago I bought a wireless network to connect two computers. After some difficulty I got it to work, but I noticed that they would very frequently disconnect (the biggest problem with that was my upstairs computer couldn’t be online). I returned it an replaced it with a wired network.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I decide to get a wireless network again, figuring that the problems will not happen with Windows XP and a new computer. After getting help from the tech support guy, I got the network up but was unable to connect the two computers. Lo and behold after I hang up on the guy I get it to work.

So I keep the network, but still experience very frequent disconnections. But recently I’ve noticed a pattern…I get disconnected whenever someone uses the wireless phone downstairs. I call tech support and find out that the phone is interfering with the network (it is a 2.4 Ghz phone).

So, does anyone know what I can do to avoid this besides getting rid of the phone? Would moving it into a different room make a difference? Any way to lower the frequency (I don’t know the right word) of the phone when it isn’t needed?

Just for reference, my mom uses the 2.4 Ghz phone because she can walk around the neighborhood with it…

You are probably always going to have trouble using a 2.4GHz cordless phone in the same vicinity as a 2.4GHz WiFi network. Your options are to get a 900MHz cordless phone (with obviously less range, sorry Mom) or get a 5GHz (802.11g) wireless systerm. There might be some 5GHz cordless phones out there too, I can’t remember.

Yes, it’s a known problem. The exact degree of interference depends a lot on the phone and the wireless access point. Keep them as far apart as possible. Some people have reported success in changing the channel on which the wireless network is operating.

For the record, I went ahead and bought a 2.4Ghz phone and haven’t had any real problems with my Airport, but then again, I don’t spend a lot of time talking on the phone. And I kept my old 900 Mhz phone, just in case problems arise.