Wireless router problem

I have a Cisco wireless router. It works great with 1 PC attached but when I try to attach as #2 it takes a few minutes to attach. Also when I can’t attach as #2 the PC that is wired directly to the router also has problems for a few minutes. This is not a big problem but I was wondering if this is normal or is there an easy fix?

Direct connect PC runs Linux, the 2 laptops run Windows XP and Windows 7.

I’m having some issues parsing that, but I’m guessing you’re having an IP problem. The quick solution would be to make sure all three devices (both computers and the router) are set to handle all internal IP issues with DHCP and then reboot everything.
If that doesn’t help, I’d manually assign the IP addresses.

Was it working before? If so, try changing the wireless channel on the router. Sometimes that’s all it takes, as more and more people get routers I find myself having to do that from time to time.

I think it has always had this problem. It’s mostly annoying to us rather than a big issue.

I’m going to guess it’s either an IP or a Channel issue. If it’s always been like this, it’s more then just needing to be reset. Working on the assumption that all your settings are correctly set (for DHCP), my first suggestion would be to log into your router and in the wireless setting section change the channel. Just randomly pick something else. That’s all you need to do. All your devices will make their changes on their own.
If that doesn’t do it, the next option would be to manually assign IP address. It’s not difficult at all, but it’s more then I’d like to type out if I don’t need to.

The third possibility is the router itself. Cisco bought Linksys. I’ve owned a lot of Linksys equipment over the years and it’s mostly been crap (I don’t know why I kept buying it). I finally starting going for other brands over the past few years and have been having much better results. If Cisco simply put their name on on the Linksys equipment and didn’t actually update the circuity, that could very well be the problem.
BTW, have you tried updating the firmware?

no I have not made any changes, I was a bit worried I could make things worse. It does say Linksys and Cisco on it.

I have a Belkin Router. I have a bunch of both hardwired and wireless devices, mostly Linux, but Mac, Windows, and whatever the VOIP box runs. Usually everything works fine. If I have trouble, often it is coming up after a power down. Months without problems, than months with constant problems. I think it may be as simple as a bad connection between the cable modem and the router.

I’ve got Linksys in my home network, and I’m also the “computer guy” for a friend who owns a motel (that is, he has a problem, I go fix it, motel guest has trouble connecting, I go make it work), who also has Linksys, and the equipment itself has never been a problem. Why people hating on Linksys?:confused:

What Joey said about updating firmware is a good idea. Go to their website and you can find instructions for doing so.

Over the years, I’ve had, I’d guess maybe 15 Linksys Routers/Hubs/Switches. IME, the routers seem to fail after a few years. YMMV, but that’s been my problem with them.

If you’ve never worked with a router, before updating the firmware, I’ll go back to what I said before, try changing the wireless channel. It’s the easiest thing you can do and has tends to fix a lot of wireless problems. Especially as more and more people of wireless routers. Virtually nothing can go wrong doing this. Even if it doesn’t help, it won’t hurt anything…promise.
Updating the firmware isn’t that hard, but it can be a bit tricky, making sure you have the correct firmware package, downloading, extracting, updating etc… Again, not that hard, but if you’ve never worked with a router, I’d rather see you change the channel first.
After those, then we can try going from DHCP to static IP. Again, not hard, but it’ll require making changes on all three devices. As well as changing the default settings on any new wireless devices you intend to connect to this router. I much prefer static IP since it tends to be more stable, but it adds another layer of work to setting things up (including anything wired).