Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - latecomer and newbie thoughts

OK, thank you. I only have some Beast(?) Oil I think, but I’m trying to collect lots of items for making things along the way.

Kudos to the game for making flowers and many other misc. items have zero weight. I use a mod in Skyrim to make alchemy items weigh zero.

I always just used Aard.

Just met with Yennifer and left to another sector of the map(the No-Man-Lands). Busy trying to investigate a werewolf hideout.

Very fun so far, gorgeous. It really uses my computers full resources even though I got it in 2020. The details are turned up nearly to max and the game is a treat for the eyes.

Have you played the card game Gwent, yet?

Yes. While I neat game, I’m not sure how much time I want to spend playing it. I do know it has a mobile version as well.

Reminds me of Triple Triad, but I’m sure it is better than that.

I know this thread is about witcher and not oblivion, but I have to mention this and I don’t think it’s worth a thread of its own.

After playing about 12 hours of oblivion, I’m really starting to hate the way it zooms in on people’s hideous faces when you talk to them. Every single one is from the lowest creepiest pit sewers of the uncanny valley and it gave me nightmares last night.

Ok, back to witcherchat.

It’s true. My thing with Oblivion is that I did not like the main-quest at all. My recent playthrough avoided it entirely. Once I left the initial dungeon, I never pursued any of the main storyline. I did the Assassins quest and the Knight of Nine(or something) quest. Much more fun and better. I hated Oblivion gates and the stuff inside them. Ugh.

Christ that’s how you do it? I was dorking around trying to figure out how the hell to brew more doses and gave up, figured I’d have to consult a gamefaq or something. I’m pretty early in the game (got past the training-wheels chapter into Great Big World area), and damned if I can figure out some of this stuff with crafting and alchemy.

It’s probably my favorite mini-game of all time. I got into it late on my first play through, then was so addicted my second time through I was prioritizing Gwent tournaments above almost all other quests and feverishly searching for new merchants to buy novel cards :wink:.

You need some sort of alcohol, but that is so ubiquitous you pretty much literally never run out.

How does one learn that a) meditating regens potions, and b) potion regen needs alcohol? I’m finding this game fairly opaque. :confused:

What, you didn’t simply intuit it? Fie, sir!

No, you’re quite right - it actually IS a bit opaque at times. I believe one of those little hints that appear when you meditate mentions that little factoid about replenishing potions/bombs/oils w/meditation + a “strong” alcohol. But I’m pretty sure I had to google it once upon a time. The Witcher 3 tutorial is unfortunately a little incomplete.

I think the learning curve is ultimately worth it - it’s a great game. But there are definitely some stuff that is not obvious and should at least be covered in the glossary section.

Even once I figured that out (which took a long time), it took an even longer time for me to realise that you don’t need to meditate to replenish oils; you always have an unlimited supply.

It was explained(I still have tutorials on 6+ hours in) when I reached an Inn in the No-Man-Land area. I was asking about Ciri and it explained that Inn’s might sell alcohol that you can use to replenish things when you meditate.

Wait, I do? I can just go nuts using oil on my swords and it never runs out? Does this mean I only create/alchemy the oil once and have it forever? :confused:

That is correct. Once you unlock the oil by crafting it, each application of oil only lasts for a certain number of attacks but you can keep reapplying it ad infinitum without ever running out.

I didn’t realise that when I first started, so I tried saving my oils for tough fights (which is completely pointless).

Oh, so always have some kind of oil on them, right? The wrong oil doesn’t heal the wrong enemy does it?

Yes, always have an oil applied. The next oil added simply overrides the one before it and having the wrong oil does absolutely nothing AFAIK. That’s why that oil preparation line I mentioned above is so utilitarian.

Of course it might be awhile until you have an oil that is useful for everything. Alchemy formula discovery I think is at least semi-random - but always hit up alchemists and buy up their stock because they will have a number of them.

I just entered a cave that is very dark; we are looking for signs of Ciri. I have a female witch with me. I have to look for symbols that represent Ciri, like the horse or swallow.

I dove into some water and it is PITCH BLACK down there. I have a torch(never goes out!), but it won’t work in water. I see that “cat” potion give you night vision, but I don’t have ingredients for it.

I ended up enabling the console to add cat potion to my stock and used it. Could immediately see adequately and continued. Still, it was a bit of a crappy situation for them to create.

I have operated at this point like there are only three oils. Beast, Ghost, Monster(or something?) Are there more than 3 kinds?

There are 12 :slight_smile:. Two for the steel sword I think( hanged oil for humans and beast oil for animals ). Ten for your silver sword and the wide variety of monsters you will encounter. And every type has three strengths, so 36 formulae to find for oils alone. If you check your bestiary it notes what critters are vulnerable to which kind of attacks and usually (always?) mentions oils. Some are self-explanatory, like specter oil or vampire oil. Some are not - what is a ‘relict’ vs. a ‘hybrid’ vs. ‘cursed’, what counts as an ‘ogroid’. Can take a bit of fishing. Werewolves for example are effected by cursed oil, a griffin by hybrid oil and you probably haven’t seen a relict yet.

As to formula and ingredients, pick plants as you go( especially if it something new to you - they tend to cluster by area ), loot monsters for parts and you can purchase ingredients from alchemists. For example the one you met in White Orchard when you were making your griffin lure, though there are traveling peddler versions as well.

You did buy every single formula the one in White Orchard had, right :wink:?

By the way, do you know about Places of Power and the free skill point they give the first time you access one? There are good reasons to investigate every little question mark on your map eventually.

I found one Place of Power and was really surprised when I got a skill point. I am in the middle of main-quest stuff, but would love to explore once I get back to sidequests, etc.