Wolfgang's Chocolate Strawberry Birthday Cake

You can make this cake for any excuse, or no excuse at all. I often make it without the chocolate-covered strawberries.

I’m sure some clever international chef has already come up with something like this, but as far as I’m concerned, I invented it for my awesome son. :slight_smile:

It comes out so good every time that I wanted to share it with you all.
WOLFGANG’S CHOCOLATE STRAWBERRY BIRTHDAY CAKE

(Because it’s been very warm, and because I wanted to make sure everything had time to cool off, I did steps 1 and 2 the night before, but it isn’t really necessary.)

1 German Chocolate cake mix, {plus whatever eggs and oil and water it calls for on the box + 1 more egg & 1/2 tsp. cinnamon}

1 large (32 ounce) box fresh strawberries

1 bag Guittard (or other good quality) milk chocolate chips

1 pint whipping cream (organic works way better)

1/8 cup cornstarch

1 envelope unflavored gelatine (like “Knox” brand; any grocery store)

1/4 cup sugar for the strawberry stuff, depending on how sweet your strawberries are

1/4 cup sugar, or a bit less, to put in the whipped cream

Step 1: Cover a cookie sheet with aluminum foil, or butter it. Melt about 3/4 of the bag of chocolate chips over a double boiler. You can also melt them in a saucepan over VERY low heat; or in the microwave. If you use the microwave, do it in a series of short bursts, so you don’t burn it. Leaving the hulls on for now, take about a half-dozen of the best strawberries one at a time and, holding them by the green part, dip them in the chocolate and swirl around to coat them thickly. Don’t worry if the stem breaks. Put each one on the cookie sheet. When you’re done, cover them with more foil or whatever and put them in the fridge until shortly before you serve the cake. Eat the leftover chocolate. :slight_smile:

Step 2: Add the extra egg and half-teaspoon of cinnamon to the cake batter with its box-mandated usual amount of eggs, oil, water, etc. and bake the cake in a 9 x 13 sheet cake pan for the recommended amount of time. It’s not a bad idea to check it a little early in case the extra egg makes it bake faster. Leave it out to cool; don’t refrigerate it!

A couple of hours before you serve the cake, do this:

Step 3: Take the remaining strawberries, and put them in a food processor or blender. Blend them down to puree and then add the sugar, cornstarch, and gelatine as best you can & blend again. Pour it into a saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Turn heat slightly down, and boil for one minute, still stirring. Put this in the freezer to cool off and start to set; about an hour? Then spoon it on top of the cake and even it out.

Step 4: Shortly before you serve the cake, whip the cream with the sugar until it’s stiff. Spoon it on top of the cake. Pull the hulls carefully off the chocolate-covered strawberries, and arrange them on top.

I’ve never made a glaze/frosting/etc like that before. Sounds interesting.
What’s the consistency like when it sets up?
Does it hold well afterwards if it sits out in the open? For instance, a cake that sits on a counter at the office for several hours while people nibble at it? Or is it better to use for a situation where you know people will attack it all at once?