Woman volunteers to breastfeed tiger cubs. You heard right.

Well, these little 'uns need milk and she’s lactating, so she figured, what the hell:
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-04/04/content_430915.htm

What the hell?

Aren’t those little teeth kind of sharp?

And, um, ewww.

Why eww? They’re creatures, as we all are. She has productive mammary glands and is willing to nourish the little kitties. I see no problem.

They have no teeth during the time they’re breastfeeding, just like babies. Where’s the oww in gumming?

It’s pretty well-known that cow’s milk isn’t good for a human newborn - is human milk going to be harmful for a tiger newborn?

snerk There’s my favorite username/post combo of the night! :smiley:

Oops - dang Submit button!

It doesn’t say that she’s actually nursing them, just that she’s providing breast milk - it could be that she’s pumping the milk and bringing it to the zoo for bottle feeding. Once they get their teeth in, they can eat pureed meat.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I must go pump milk for my little one in the hospital. sigh

The article calls it a breast-feeding session. I had a brief eeww moment, but now I think it’s a good thing.
-Lil

I found pictures of it.

She wasn’t pumping.

No way in hell am I going to link to it.

Even with no teeth, cats have tongues like sandpaper.

Oops, hit “enter” before I meant to.

I was going to say that I bottle-fed a kitten until it was weaned. When it tried to nurse on my arm, it would draw blood just from the tongue action. And that was a house-cat.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that in the way-long ago pre-missionary times, a Polynesian delicacy was human breast-fed pig. Human perversity and ingenuity amazes me.

That said, my first response to the tiger thing is “Ow!”, as others here have said. Biting and rough tonguing would make this a real trial, especially since, IIRC, cats can’t suck.

I also remember reading that in ancient China, women would breastfeed the nobles’ Pekingnese pups.

Another vote for “Ow!”

…and for the rest of the tigers’ lives, everytime they saw a pair of breasts they reared up on their hind legs and roared, " They’re grrreat!"
shakes head at self

has to laugh with Daithi Lacha :stuck_out_tongue:

How about another vote for ‘ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, OW’?

Cal, cats can suck. Kittens suckle, just like any other baby mammal. And their tongues aren’t nearly so rough at that stage, so mamma cats’ nipples aren’t all traumatized. Adult cats usually don’t suck, but that doesn’t mean that they can’t. Cats with weaning or security issues often suck on stuff, a behavior known as woolsucking.

Although I would think that kitten formula would be more nutritionally complete for a cub’s needs, I don’t see anything eeeewww-inducing about it. Now, that client we used to have that nursed her adult housecat as a comfort mechanism, that was icky.

“So I told Gladys that they’d love some catnip, but I never thought she’d…”

rimshot

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Her comfort mechanism, or the cat’s?

You have my blessing, young Padawan. :cool:

Thank you, thank you - I’m here all week.

Try the veal!