Women's World Cup 2023

Les than a month to the women’s World Cup.

Does anyone know what service is required to stream the matches in the US? Live or upon replay?

For the men, Peacock showed the live matches with Spanish commentary and, I think, Tubi had all the replays in English free of charge.

Does anyone know the situation for the women’s?

Any predictions? I take it the United States are strong contenders again.

The US definitely still are strong contenders and are probably the favourites. There are several European teams close behind them, so my prediction (guess? :)) is that someone will knock the US off this time.

My own country Canada will hopefully make a good showing. They should probably make it out of the group, but it’s felt like a down period for them lately, and there’s a bunch of financial stuff going on with the federation that could derail them a bit.

Anyway it feels like Canada got their big win already with the Olympics gold. That’s still a hard result to believe looking back - they went through the whole knockout only scoring from the penalty spot.

It’s the first time the Philippines have ever made it to the World Cup, men or women. Just qualifying is already huge. The Filipinas a tough draw in Group A against Switzerland, Norway and New Zealand.

Women’s soccer definitely needs more contenders. The more emphasis that the European countries are putting on the women’s game is good trend. Having like 4 countries at a time that aren’t total trash doesn’t make for great tournaments (great semis+, sure), IMO.

Marta will be playing in her 6th WC. Wow.

I don’t know much about American TV providers. But I hope the Canadian team does well. They’ve been demoralized by pay concerns and political infighting. Anything making soccer more popular in Canada is warmly welcomed.

I just checked, and Fox is televising it in the US. That includes Fox, Fox Sports, and other Fox related channels.
Also, I think the set up is kind of stupid, unless I read it wrong. For the knock out stage, Groups A, B, C, and D make up one half of the draw, with the others in the other half. So we could see the two finalists from four years ago, US and Netherlands, meeting at the group stage (they are both in group E) and no later than the the semi-finals.

The scheduling is done so that every match features two teams with a similar amount of rest since their preceding match. You don’t want a well-rested team going against one that’s still exhausted from their last game. Group A plays their final group-stage games on the 30th, and Group C on the 31st. Then teams from those groups meet in the first knockout round on August 5th.

Here’s a grid that shows the schedule by date:

As for Netherlands and the U.S. in the same group, there’s a very elaborate random draw to sort the teams into groups. The top 8 teams are drawn so that there will be one in each group. It’s also done by geography, so there won’t be two African, Asian, etc. teams in the same group. That way, the group stage games are mostly between teams that don’t play against each other in regional tournaments, but only in the World Cup.

I have Tubi and it remains unclear to me if replay are hitting Tubi or not.

This site says Tubi will air replays, which is about all I need since it is in New Zealand anyway.

Canada did well in Tokyo and might surprise. I suspect only Canadian games will make it to the tube here though.

A good primer on the cup here from the Post. It covers the groups, past performances, chances and star players of all 32 teams.

And…. Glad to see they sold a million tickets!

As for US TV I hope this helps.

New Zealand upsets Norway in front of 42,000+.

42,000 for a women’s football game. In New Zealand. You’ve come a long way, indeed.

Watching on Peacock now. It looks like Tubi does not stream English replays like they did before.

USA is actually playing at 9PM Eastern tomorrow, which is pretty convenient for our timezone shift.

This is the lowest attendance for the host team’s opening match since 2003. This only really stands out in comparison to the '95 WWC at 4k average per match.

I won’t speak for @Mighty_Mouse , but you cut off “In New Zealand” from his quote. I think the emphasis is that New Zealand is a small country and this is a large audience.

Yes, for New Zealand these are Rugby numbers!

There’s a period in between. You’d do that if you want to emphasize both.

Brilliant username post combo!