"Wordle," a strangely compelling word game (Part 1)

Wordle 329 4/6* 5/14/2022

:yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:yellow_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::green_square::yellow_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

TIPSY → Some help, I guess… let me try something with O and A
LOATH → No O, but the L helps… E or U next? Try E
CLEAT → OK, T in the middle, LETA? and E?TAL go nowhere, PETAL is out…
METAL

Didn’t even see FETAL before Wheelz mentioned it. Seems like 4 is a bit over par for this puzzle…

Bah! Coulda had it in three.

Wordle 329 4/6*

:black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square:
:black_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::green_square::green_square:
:black_large_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

IRATE
STEAL
PETAL
METAL

Better luck next time!

Wordle 329 3/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square:
:green_square::green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::yellow_square:

CHORE
MEANT
METAL

Quick-n-easy one for me today. I don’t usually use the same start word two days in a row, and I struck out with it again, but I got lucky with my second word.

Hitting few letters on your first word is a good thing, assuming you guess five good letters. None of them hitting is arguably the best possible result. That lets you check 10 different letters in your first two words.

To that end, I start with what I consider to be the second best group of letters, hoping for no hits, which I then follow up with the best letters. In practice that means my ideal opener starts with clamp (no hits) followed by store. That’s also why I limit myself to only a single vowel in my first word. Vowels are more likely to hit.

I will concede that if you then hit no letters again on the second word, that can be discouraging. Still winnable in three, but discouraging.

Yep, agreed! It does help to eliminate letters when no hits, but it sure is nice when you get some greens out the gate, which then can give you a better chance at getting it in two tries, though that is rarely the case, for me anyways. :wink:

It is interesting to hear of people’s different strategies, and it’s fun to read people’s thought processes, especially on a challenging word. I tend to go with whatever word I’m feeling or pops into my head for my start word, but I do try for most common letters (as most here do) and usually change it up day to day.

My biggest issue is conflating common letters with common words. For example, if I end up with two possible choices left, for example hutch and butch, I’ll think to myself “H is more common than B, so hutch…” even though I know that’s stupid.

I can usually talk myself out of that kind of play, but it’s always my first instinct.

Here’s tomorrow’s. I should’ve got it sooner, and I think many people will do much better than me.

Wordle 330 5/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::green_square::white_large_square::yellow_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

Wordle 329 5/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::yellow_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square::yellow_square:

ROAST
TACKY
BUTTE
PETAL
METAL

Not fun, today (too time-consuming). Having the A and T only for so long, with T ruled-out as ending the word, was frustrating. (“BUTTE” was just to get myself out of the morass.) As was true of another poster here, “fetal” occurred as an option, but I was pretty sure they wouldn’t be using it.

Tomorrow’s Wordle, Today
Not quite as good as my previous two results, but I’ll take it.

Wordle 330 3/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square:

Wordle 330

COUGH → Wordlebot tells me that this was actually the unluckiest possible starting word.
TEARY → Only one possible solution left.
YIELD

Wordle 330 5/6

:black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square:
:black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::green_square::yellow_square:

CLOMP
METAL
WHILE
FIELD
YIELD

Based on what I wrote yesterday about wanting few or no letters in your first word, we all knew what was going to happen to me today, right? A grand total of two letters after 2, neither green, is pretty discouraging.

Even still, I felt good about 3, and then naively thought I had a safe 4, not seeing the mini-trap at all. Once I did, I sure was happy I had already tried W. That’s a rarity for me.

The weakness of my strategy is when it takes three guesses just to narrow down into a trap, like in this example. If the trap were much bigger, I might/would have needed to break hard mode rules with my fifth guess to narrow it down to one choice for 6.

The original concept, though, is to avoid getting caught in a trap early. The first word is supposed to use up trap letters before hard mode traps me. So in that respect, this crappy 5 is technically an example of it working as intended. Yay?

An all green five. Haven’t done that in awhile.

Wordle 330 5/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square::green_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square::green_square:

BREAK
SPEND
TWEED
FIELD
YIELD

Wordle 330 4/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:yellow_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:

RATIO
LIENS
FIELD
YIELD

Wordle 330 5/6*

:white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::yellow_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::green_square::yellow_square:

VALUE
LEMON
STILE
FIELD
YIELD

Wordle 330 6/6

:black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::yellow_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::green_square::yellow_square:
:black_large_square::black_large_square::green_square::green_square::black_large_square:

Ugh, not one of my best sessions.

FALSE
ELBOW
LEMUR
CHILE
KNELT
YIELD

Wordle 330 3/6*

:black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::yellow_square:
:black_large_square::green_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:

Unite, miser, yield

Wordle 330 5/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square:
:yellow_square::green_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:

CRANE
LITES
At this point I’m fairly certain it’s one of three words. Do I pick a word that guarantees a 4 or take a chance and get either 3, 4 or 5. I choose to take a chance and let Excel randomly choose the order. Bad luck on this.

Wordle 330 4/6

:black_large_square::blue_square::blue_square::black_large_square::blue_square:
:blue_square::orange_square::black_large_square::blue_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::orange_square::orange_square::orange_square::orange_square:
:orange_square::orange_square::orange_square::orange_square::orange_square:

OLIVE
LITER
FIELD
YIELD

Like so many others, I went with FIELD before YIELD. Not too mad about a four on a tough word like this.

Wordle 330 6/6*

:black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square:

SNIDE
IDLER
DEVIL
FIELD
WIELD
YIELDî

Wordle 330 4/6* 5/15/2022

:white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square:
:yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:

METAL → Good start… can I keep the momentum going?
LOSER → No. Perhaps not the best guess to “keep momentum going…”
ELIDE → So no repeated E, and the E & L must go 3rd and 4th, D looks best in last, I before E, and then…
YIELD

I didn’t even see the other two alternatives before I typed in the answer, so a lucky 4 for me.

Wordle 330 4/6*

:white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::green_square:

BEARD
FIEND
WIELD
YIELD