"Wordle," a strangely compelling word game (Part 1)

I was wondering about those spelling differences.

They might color our experiences differently.

They might colour our experiences differently. :slight_smile:

My wife just noticed that if you skip any given day, your current streak gets reset. FYI to us here.

Wordle 206 3/6

:yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

My second consecutive 3 ! Feeling a bit cocky which probably means an ignominious fail next time …

RATIO
PRIME
DRINK

Wordle 207 4/6

:yellow_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square::green_square::green_square:
:yellow_square::green_square::white_large_square::green_square::green_square:

RATIO
LABOR
VAPOR
FAVOR

To be honest, I was helped by GuanoLad’s clue above. Should have got it 2 or 3.

BTW I thought there was only one word at any given time.

I think so too. There’s not?

I have some thoughts about strategy but before posting them, and asking for comments, maybe I should first ask if this thread is just for posting game results, not chatting. What say you?

I dunno. GuanoLad could do 207 when everyone was doing 206.

I have an 83% win rate so far. Given that I was a bit confused at the beginning, and that I have difficulty distinguishing between the green and what looks like a lighter shade of green when only the lighter color is present, that’s not bad.

It’s set to local time, AFAIK. Consdering GuanoLad’s gripe about American spelling, I’m guessing Australia or New Zealand. New Zealand is something like 18-19 hours ahead of US Eastern and Central times, which is where most of us are.

Yes, it’s set to the time on your computer.

Ah OK. That makes sense.

Have you seen this thread?

What’s your Wordle Approach

No, I hadn’t.

That’s the place for my strategy chatter. Thanks.

Wordle 206 (1/11/22 PST) 4/6*

:yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square:

ROAST
BRINE
GRIND
DRINK

Ah! That explains why my streaks are so short, despite being at 100%. Sometimes I play at work, sometimes at home.

The word changes right at midnight based on your local time. Which can be changed, of course.

I had never heard that word before today. Ignorance fought!

I’d agree that, depending on what you’ve eliminated thus far, the end is sometimes a crapshoot. I think it’s the mix of cryptological analysis in the early clues turning into an almost crossword-type of game later on is what gives Wordle it’s appeal.

So, in the given example, BRICK was the rainmaker for me. I might have also tried BIRCH. A lot of the other possibilities I could think of had letters I had already eliminated - E is in SIREN, for example. There also aren’t many 5-letter words ending in IR or RI, so my third row placement of those two were almost mandatory. IRISH would have probably been my worst-case scenario after I had gone with BRICK.

I started the game on 12/24 with my phone, and because of this I’m going to keep using my phone every day.

I should have spoilered that PRINK — I realized only too late.

That crypto analysis is how this game is a little like the old game, Mastermind. (From 1970, invented by an Israeli postmaster and telecommunications expert)

Whoops, people are on Jan 12 already, and I’m not going to look at the rest of the thread yet because somebody always seems to post without specifying which one.

Jan 11, which I gather is 206 though I never seem to see any numbers: got this one in three, after a long pause thinking about my second result.

ASTER
RUNIC
DRINK

– I’ve occasionally resorted to writing possibilities down on a piece of paper. I’m tempted to go haul out Scrabble tiles and shuffle those around when I get stuck. I don’t think either of those is cheating, but the Scrabble tile idea feels like it, somehow. Opinions? (I’ll look at the thread again after I’ve done tomorrow’s.)

Sorry I gave a clue everyone. I thought everybody else had already done 207, I didn’t realise I was the first on it. In fact, I’m not sure why I was first, I’m usually last.

As above, we’re guessing you’re from Australia or New Zealand.

You get a new one based on midnight on your local machine. It’s still not Jan 12 for most of us for another 6-9 hours.