Words one can get confused

Exactly!

There’s a possibly-apocryphal story that the original concept for the band was Lead Zeppelin, as in the metal, like a lead balloon. But they realized that people might think the word was lead = foremost. So they changed it to Led to be certain of the pronunciation they wanted, without having to say “Well, actually…” a gazillion times. So, weirdly, that’s a different Led/Lead pair.

Decades ago, I recognized that people mix up “exasperate” and “exacerbate,” when the venerable magazine Scientific American did so.

A few years later, when I was managing editor of a technical journal, I created a test for applicants to the position of copy editor. It included a sentence that said something like, “the paucity of trained civil engineers in Indonesia simply exasperates the problem of black spots.”

Almost no one - even sharp-eyed editors who found nearly all the mistakes, and whom I eventually hired - noticed that error.

I remain surprised at this.

Isn’t there an adverb here?

Disinterested - impartial
Uninterested - bored

I still don’t know whether the band Live rhymes with ‘give’ or ‘jive’.

I’m not a grammarian, so I can’t say for sure. But I vote adjective, on the basis of the results you get if you substitute other words:

He is always ready for me. (The substitute for “there” is “ready,” an adjective, and it seems grammatically correct.)

He is always readily for me. (The substitute for “there” is “readily,” an adverb, and it seems grammatically incorrect.)

It’s possible that “flammable” wasn’t very common. However–

Origin of flammable

First recorded in 1805–15; from Latin flammā(re) “to set on fire” + -ble

Well, I’ll be hornswoggled! While it can be used as an adverb, in the sentence to which I referred and the very sentence the good folks at Merriam-Webster provide as an example, it’s used as an adjective according to those same good folks.

No; it’s an adjective, because it modifies “he.”
He is where? He is “there” (even though it’s metaphorical, rather than literal location).
“Always” and “for me” are adverbs, because they modify “there.”

Checking the link I provided just above, He is there as an answer to He is where? has there functioning as an adverb, as shown with that very example. The metaphorical bit about “there for me” is what threw me.

I’m confused about what link / what examples you’re saying are what. Is this correct?

He is there = adjective
He stopped there = adverb

He is there = adverb.
He stopped there = adverb.

Here’s the whole adverb section for that entry on Merriam-Webster:

there

1 of 4

adverb

ˈt͟her

: in or at that place

stand over there

—often used interjectionally

: to or into that place : THITHER

went there after church

: at that point or stage

stop right there before you say something you’ll regret

: in that matter, respect, or relation

there is where I disagree with you

—used interjectionally to express satisfaction, approval, encouragement or sympathy, or defiance

there, it’s finished

I once had an idiotic discussion with a coworker when he staunchly defended the boss’s use of running the “gauntlet” when he should have said gamut.

When I read something with former and latter I always have to remember which is which even though it’s obvious.

People also often confuse conscious with conscience. The latter is a noun referring to one’s internal moral compass: if you hurt someone, you may find that it weighs on your conscience. The former is an adjective referring to a state of awareness of something (or everything): I am conscious.

Mucus: a noun referring to a slick/gooey material secreted by various parts of an organism.

Mucous: a noun specifying some kind of connection to mucus. Mucous membranes secrete mucus.

A brake (noun) is a thing that slows or stops a vehicle. To brake (verb) is to slow or stop. You can brake using a brake, but you don’t have to use a brake to brake; you can brake with pretty much anything. Dinghy coasting toward the dock? You can brake with your hand.

A break (noun) is something you need after a few hours on the job. To break (verb) something is to cause it to fracture (break your arm), fail (break your TV), or interrupt (circuit breaker).

If you break your brake, you may not be able to brake when you need to. If an elevator’s cables break, it can still break its fall using a built-in brake.

Whom are we talking about?

mmm

So the boss meant this:

But wrote this?

That may have been your response to something I posted in a thread. I remember someone taking me to task along the lines of “that doesn’t mean what you think it does”. :smiley:

My wife mixes up wreak and wreck. She always says that someone is wrecking havoc.

feted and fetid. Heh.

Off on a tangent:
People sometimes misspell “reckless” by putting a w on the front (i.e. “wreckless”), but reckless does not mean “without wrecking”. It shares the same etymological origin as “reckon”, meaning “to judge/consider”. “Reckless” means “without judgment/consideration”.

Good point. So I will amend my comment to this:

conscious, conscience, conscientious, and concise