Words one can get confused

When I was in the military, I used to tell my teen son “Stay uninformed and end up uniformed.”

Ok, so like the second definition for “whoops” I gave. Here in the US, at least, “whoops” is said for accidents and such small mishaps, as well as “oops.” I, myself, probably say “whoops” and “whoopsie” most often.

With an “s” used as an interjection, that’s the only definition given. “Whoop” as a verb or noun is different.

“Whoops” as an interjection also seems to precede “oops.”

whoops
exclamation of dismay, 1925; see oops.

oops (interj.)
“a natural exclamation” [OED] of surprise at doing something awkward, attested from 1933 (compare whoops).

From etymonline.com

Endogenous: having an internal cause or origin.
Indigenous: originating or occurring naturally in a particular place; native.

which also leads to-

Indigent: a needy person.
Indignant: feeling or showing anger or annoyance at what is perceived as unfair treatment.

Not sure if this counts, but dampen is often used incorrectly by engineers, e.g. “Adding some mass will help dampen the response.”

Dampen means to make something wet. They should be using damp, not dampen, e.g. “Adding some mass will help damp the response.”

The definition that you say is incorrect is literally the first one in Merriam Webster. It’s also the term I learned in differential equations a million years ago.

I already knew the difference between those two words but this is the most compact and elegant definition that I’ve seen. Congratulations !

When dampen is used a technical term, if this the way the technical experts use it… I think you’re on dubious ground claiming that this is incorrect. I think technical terminology is an area where strict prescriptivism does hold up, in the sense that when it’s critically important in technical writing to use precise language, the technical community does tend to converge on a strict consensus for appropriate terminology, and it’s objectively a problem if you deviate from that. Unless there is a school of thought among engineers that this is incorrect usage, I would tend to defer to the technical experts here.

I really hate that usage, but as @Maserschmidt points out, the dictionary says it’s correct, and that particular usage goes back hundreds of years.

Picaresque: relating to an episodic style of fiction dealing with the adventures of a rough and dishonest but appealing hero.

Picturesque: visually attractive, especially in a quaint or pretty style.

I have seen this misused in published book reviews, where you’d think someone would know better.

For me, “picaresque” is one of those words that I think I have looked up half a dozen times and then immediately forgotten the exact meaning of. Orally, I might risk pretentiously throwing it in to sound sophisticated in the hope that everyone else is in the same boat. But in writing you’re just asking for trouble.

I stand corrected, then. :slight_smile: But I agree with you; I still don’t like “dampen.”

Enervate and energize.

Poisonous means it contains poison. All venomous things contain poison, so it is not actually wrong to call them poisonous. Less specific, certainly, but not wrong per se.

It’s beyond nonspecific - if you do choose to respect the strict poisonous/venomous distinction, for a snake “poisonous” is irrelevant and therefore misleading. Even if you were discussing eat snake meat, the meat is not poisonous. I suppose in the narrow circumstance of advising someone not to boil the head of a venomous snake in a broth… although I suspect that most venoms are probably rendered non-poisonous by cooking.

There is, however, a reasonable case for arguing that colloquial usage is not as strict as the pedant wants it to be.

Well, if we’re going to mention “brake” and “break,” we need to talk about “rein” and “reign.” It seems like I can’t go a day without seeing something like, “He’s out of control and needs to reign himself in.”

Meretricious and meritorious.

Well, I think that most would agree that @Colibri was the board’s expert on such matters. I defer to his opinion which he expressed in several threads.

Malfeasance in office is the doing of an act for which there is no authority or warrant of law.

Misfeasance is the wrongful and injurious exercise of lawful authority — that is, the doing of an act which might lawfully be done, but is done in an improper manner.

Don’t you dare bring up nonfeasance.

Bemused means confused. But bemused now also means amused. It’s often surprisingly hard to figure out which one people mean even from context.

Spelled: write or name the letters that form (a word) in correct sequence.
Spelt: an old kind of wheat with bearded ears and spikelets that each contain two narrow grains, not widely grown but favored as a health food.
Smelled: perceive or detect the odor or scent of (something).
Smelt: a small silvery fish which lives in both marine and fresh water and is sometimes fished commercially.

Although online sources say that -elt is often used in British English as synonymous with the past tense of -elled; e.g. dwelled, dwelt.

I read a lot of restaurant reviews when clicking around on Google Maps and two words come up misspelled time & time again: Costumer instead of customer and desert instead of dessert.

I sometimes get a giggle from the first one. “Serving cheap, offbrand ketchup is no way to treat a costumer.”