Words that seem meant for only one other word

Any kind of lucre other than the filthy kind?

:neutral_face:

Can anything else be applied to “ante” other than “up”?
(meh, there’s ‘penny ante’, I spose, even though ‘ante’ is used more as a noun than verb, there)

Anything akimbo besides arms?

Everybody knows that Shakespeare quote, but, when they bother to use the word, people write about fell fortune, fell winds, fell foes, fell fire, fell poison, fell seas, etc. Definitely not any kind of exclusive use. Maybe other meanings of “fell” are nowadays more fixed into phrases, like flesh and fell (more Shakespeare :), fell and skin, etc.

I don’t want my body riddled with anything. It always seems to be either cancer or bullets.

Legs, at a minimum.

Aren’t legs usually ‘splayed’?

-“BB”-

I’ve always read it as “arms and legs akimbo”. YMMV.

I’d say that an object can be riddled with things. (“The door of his jeep was riddled with pockmarks.”)

Can a neti be anything other than a pot?

Are we addled by anything other than drugs?

I’ve heard woo-addled. Also god-addled. But they used the hyphen.

This reminds me of one of the stupider things in 1st Edition AD+D: the command spell, which forces its victim to perform an action for one round, but, being a low-level spell it was limited to one word which had to be a verb. So “Surrender” would work because it is a one-word imperative verb. But “suicide” would not work, nor would “kill yourself” because that’s two words.

In English, that is. Everyone in a fantasy setting speaks English because of course they do. Logic prevailed in subsequent editions and the spell restriction was no longer constructed like that.

How about Guns Akimbo?

Actually that sounds like it should be the name of a member of the Yakuza.

Well, you’re obviously thinking of the word “commit”. But one can also ‘attempt’ suicide, which is usually the pairing when one tries to kill oneself but fails.

And of course, since the days of Dr. Kevorkian, one can ‘assist’ a suicide. I believe in certain states it’s even been legalized.

-“BB”-

If you’re a doctor, you’ll probably have other pairing words, but what else goes with “proctological” except “examination”?

Is “asunder” the only way one can be “rent”?

probe?
prod?
poke?
paw?
query?

Considering the well-known phrase cliche, have we come across a petard that has been anything but hoisted upon? Never came across any other use for it, myself.

I took the whole kit but not the kaboodle.

Jeez! TIL!

All this time - I stupidly thought it was “kitten kaboodle”, and was always wondering what sense that tried to make.

Yes it also gets wreaked.