Words you hate people using

I’d say it’s about 90cm.

I find it’s generally a description of a dead young woman. It seems almost a legal requirement for someone to describe victims of car crashes and the like as “bubbly” in newspapers.

Better than “mute”.

I actually find “normalcy” annoying, but apparently that’s just how it is in the US.

“Pleaded”. Um, the word you are looking for is “pled”.

(I know it’s in the dictionary and all, but it’s baffling how “pled” was the word regular people used for as long as I can remember and about 10-20 years ago “pleaded” started showing up.)

“Lay”, or more typically “laying”. It’s a transitive verb, for christ’s sake.

“I was just laying on the couch, watching TV.” No. You were lying on the couch. You lie on things, while you lay things on other things. In other words, “lay” must have a direct object. A chicken can lay eggs. A carpet layer can lay carpet on the floor. You cannot just “lay” on a couch.

I also hate:
all-important - Up next, the results of the all important Iowa Caucus. Umm…no, it isn’t all important. I’ll keep breathing without it. Life goes on.
-D/a

Due to the putrefaction of the body?

“Monetize”. What a vapid word. If I hear it one more time in a meeting, I’ll go postal. Well, no I won’t, but I’ll want to.

I have long hated nice. Especially when describing someone you’ve just met. “Oh, he’s so nice!” Why, because he didn’t punch you in the face when you said hi?

Due to.

Use because of or reword the phrase entirely. I’ve kicked back reports for editing that have contained due to three times in the same sentence. It drives me nuts!

Lady. Like “this is mah lay-dee”

I broke up with a guy when he kept to me as his ‘lady’.

Just the most revolting combination of patronization and …smarm.

Pleaded gets to me from time to time, and so does proved, as in, “He has proved the guy was guilty six times.” I really want it to be proven. This comes up a lot in math.

But the one I thought of all by myself for this thread would be populace, which is not a synonym, at least traditionally, for population or people, but rather the common people.

Aso, anxietous. I don’t think it’s really a word. I had a supervisor once who would use it in practically every conversation &, since she didn’t take criticism well, I could never correct her.

Eaches. This is restricted to my workplace, though. Every time I hear “You can buy this by the eaches,” I cringe.

On livejournal, I see people describe having serious thoughts on a subject as having “thinky thoughts.” I fucking hate this phrase. It makes you sound like a four-year-old already, and that’s even worse when you’re using this self-deprecating and self-infantilizing phrase to describe your honest opinion on something important.

My nickname for my sister is “the lady” or just “lady.” She and I love it! Lady is a proper title for noble women, and is a high designation of respect. What’s wrong with lady?

That being said, in a joking/ironic/sarcastic manner, I call her “woman” too, just to be funny but it’s also become a second nickname in a way. It’s all in good fun.

But seriously, being offended over being called lady? I don’t get it!

I can understand it, I wouldn’t call my girlfriend “my lady”. But it’s not really just “lady”, I wouldn’t call her “my woman” or “my girl” either. I’m not really a feminist (in fact they’re often very annoying) but would seem a bit disrespectful to me, like her most significant characteristic is being attached to the speaker.

On the other hand I don’t mind her saying “my man”… I think maybe I just don’t like the kind of people who say that kind of thing (especially “my girl” said as “mah gel”).

Vibrant is one I could do without. It’s a euphemism for the kind of neighborhood that is supposed to have great ethnic restaurants, but you can’t go there because your car will probably get broken into.

Also, use of the word delicious to describe anything but food.

One I rarely hear spoken but I see in obituaries all the time – sustained.

“Joe Smith died Tuesday from injuries sustained in an automobile accident.”
If Joe had sustained the injuries, he wouldn’t have died from them.

Sustained definition 5.

Veggies for vegetables, unless uttered by a two-year-old.

Think Ron Burgandy, “This is my lady”. Just smarmy.