Words you won't say because you're not sure how they're pronounced...

I had the “mawv” vs. “mohv” discussion with a friend not too very long ago. She said “mawv” and I snickered. I asked her how she pronounced t-a-u-p-e and she said that wrong too. When I told her the ‘au’ sounds like ‘oh’ because its origin is French, she said “Yeah, well I speak American.” So I asked her if she orders fi-LETT MIG-non in restaurants.

And speaking of restaurants, I once had a customer who ordered TUR-boh and his date asked for a glass of mer-LOTT. I’m still not sure if they were doing that deliberately.

As for me, it took me forever to realize that the word I read as ep-i-tohm was the word I KNEW as e-PIT-oh-mee.

I can remember having a drama teacher correct me when I made a reference to “Waiting for Godot,” a play I had read about but apparantly never discussed before.

Go, dot, go!

I remembered another one: New Orleans.

Noo OR-lens?
Noo or-LEANS?
N’awlins?

I believe Fresnel is fre-NELL. Named after a French guy.

Mine is deus ex machina. OK, I just looked up in the dictionary and listened to the audio clip so I know now but I’m still not sure if I’d be understood if I tried to say it… Nor am I confident about being able to say albeit.

Seems to me there’s a Yosemite Sam bit about this. “War-ches-ter-sheer-shire-sheer-shire…”:smiley:

LifeOnWry: Isn’t “turbot” pronounced TUR-boh? I’ve never actually ordered it in a restaurant (I live in Montana; give me a break!), but that’s always how I’ve pronounced it in my head. :o

trishdish: It isn’t just the Midwest; I’ve got a friend who grew up in Idaho who still says “EYE-talian”. And he’s got a Ph.D. in microbiology and he’s a lawyer.

“Second” (V.R.)
I say it the American way as both an adjective and verb. My educated British friends pronounce the verb say-GOND. When around British folks I need to make a serious effort not to talk like them.

say-GOND? really? That sounds really odd, no offense to all you brits :slight_smile:

Mine was the word fetid. Reading fantasy books, this word was often in there, but nobody ever says it any more. At one point I said it “fet-EED”, just because that sounds better to my French-educated ears, but was told it was pronounced “FET-ihd”

Also, apparently in the south they say “frap-PAY” instead of “frap” for a milkshake. Just sounds odd to me.

racer…it sounds like an o but starts with an e cuz it’s french :slight_smile: They’re just weird like that.

I once took an order from someone for “ques-a-dil-las”…I repeated their order, pronouncing it correctly, and they actually corrected my correct pronunciation of the spanish!

Nope - it’s a TUR-bott. (Between you and me, I think it sounds ridiculous, too.)

Well. How embarassing. Any idea of the etymology of this word? I’d always assumed it was French. Good thing I’ve never ordered it in a restaurant! :wink:

[sub]And that is a pretty stupid way to pronounce it. I agree.[/sub]

I am going to tell on my mother-in-law (since she will never read this anyway–I’m such a coward!). Some years back she was helping me sew some maternity dresses. (By “helping” I mean she was doing the sewing and I was reading the directions–I stink at sewing!) Whenever she would read the instructions, she invariably pronounced the word bodice as “BOW-dyce” instead of “BAH-diss.” Nearly drove me nuts, but I managed to not say a word!! My sister and I had a giggle fit over it later in the car going home, though!

BTW, I do love my MIL–she’s a terrific lady and I wouldn’t hurt her feelings for the world!

Always neesh in Britain. Nitch mostly (always?) in America.

Don’t bother, they taste like nothing much anyhow. And I kinda goofed the pronunciation, too - it’s more like TUR-butt, than TUR-bott. This is where that stupid schwa thing we learned about in sixth grade comes into play, I think. I have no idea where the name comes from.

Incidentally, I once had a customer ask for a “keh-sa-dilda” (quesadilla), and another one request “Rice pee-FALL” (rice pilaf <PEE-lahf>)

No more ridiculous than robot. And Turandot (yes, you pronounce the final “t” in that too).

No, no, no…“robot” is Slavic. I can’t remember whether it’s Czech, or Polish, or Russian, but the final “t” should definitely be pronounced.

About “Turandot”, though, I definitely agree. :slight_smile:

And “rice pee-fall” is just moronic. I mean, just look at the damn word!

“Syntagm.” Fortunately, I can’t think of any conversation I’d want to use it in.

homosexual should be pronounced with short "o"s a it is derived from the Greek “homos” meaning the same, not the latin “homo” meaning man.

The name, is Dumas.

Ok, so i feel I must explain the joke. There’s a TV commercial, American, where a guy is on a job interview talking overenthusiastically about how he wants for work for “Dumbass and Dumbass” and how he’s real “Dumbass material”. Mr. Dumas, the interviewer, sets him straight. The commercial was a failure, because I don’t remember the product.

And, more closely to the spirit of the OP:

Until I was eight, expensive boats were yakhuts.

Clique

I always pronounce it ‘kleek’ although I’ve heard it pronounced ‘klick’ countless times. I think this could be similar to niche, depends on where you’re from.

There are countless words that I avoid because I don’t know how to say them. I read too darn much, and I’ve developed entire systems to get around saying words that I don’t know how to say. I’ll even go to the length of pretending that I have the word on the tip of my tongue even though I know perfectly well what the word is, just not how to spell it

I always have trouble with “kitchy”. Is it “kitch-ee” or “keetch-ee”? And how do you say “peony”? There are countless more.