World Knowledge Trivia (money, meet mouth)

Seems like everybody’s getting into the geography spirit on the SDMB since yet another thread popped up about how little Americans seem to know about it compared to people in the rest of the world. Some people have been testing their map identification skills and reporting their scores, but it seems to me there’s a lot more to know about the world than identifying blobs on a map.

So I’ve picked a few areas of good, rich trivia from the CIA factbook and here is the result. I came up with questions about land area, population, GDP, currency, capitals, and length of coastline. There are no questions about US states or Canadian provinces or English counties. (The CIA isn’t known for assassinating rivers or funding coup d’états on mountain ranges, so my questions are a socio-geopolitical thing.)

I also broke up the questions into areas that I felt were easy, harder, mega-hard, and super-biggo-difficult based upon my own limited knowledge. The categorization of “easy” and “hard” national capitals is especially arbitrary. Don’t snicker if your country’s capital pops up in the “very hard” category because I realize most of 'em are going to be pretty easy anyway, especially if you happen to live there. :slight_smile:

The standard rules apply. Don’t look up the answers on the Internet until after you’ve already finished the quiz, don’t read the other posts before you answer, and so on.

Oh, and I had to look up the answers to my own questions, so I don’t know how well I’d do on this thing. Not too well, I suspect.

Questions in next post.

All references come from the CIA factbook at www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/
Coastline refers to oceanic coastline and does not include the coasts of lakes or inland seas.
References to GDP and purchasing power parity based on CIA factbook, 2002 estimates.

EASY PICKINGS

1. Which country has more kilometers of coastline, the UK or Russia?
  2. Which country has more kilometers of coastline, Vietnam or Mexico?
  3. Which country has a greater GDP, India or Romania?
  4. Which country has a greater GDP, Iran or Germany?
  5. Which country has a greater indigenous population, Russia or Egypt?
  6. Which country has a greater indigenous population, Greece or Iran?
  7. What is the national currency of Japan?
  8. What is the national currency of France?
  9. What is the national currency of Sweden?
  10. What are the capitals of the following countries: Rome, Brazil, Egypt, South Korea, Japan and Greece?

Extra credit. Which country has more kilometers of coastline, Greece or New Zealand?
Extra credit. Which country has a greater indigenous population, Japan or China?

HARDER

1. Which country has more kilometers of coastline, Madagascar or Cuba?
  2. Which country has more kilometers of coastline, Italy or the Solomon Islands?
  3. Which country has a greater GDP, France or Japan?
  4. Which country has a greater GDP, Austria or Greece?
  5. Which country has a greater indigenous population, the United Kingdom or Vietnam?
  6. Which country has a greater indigenous population, Germany or Turkey?
  7. What is the national currency of Israel?
  8. What is the national currency of India?
  9. What is the national currency of Thailand?
  10. What are the capitals of the following countries: Sweden, Iceland, New Zealand, Israel, India, Vietnam?

Extra credit. Which country has more kilometers of coastline, Argentina or Iceland?
Extra credit. Which country has a greater indigenous population, Ireland or Norway?
GRAND DOPER

1. Arrange the following four countries from the most kilometers of coastline to the least: the United States, Australia, the Philippines, Norway.
  2. Arrange the following four countries from the most kilometers of coastline to the least: South Africa, Tunisia, Ecuador, Panama.
  3. Arrange the following four countries from the greatest GDP to the least: Peru, Sweden, New Zealand, Kazakhstan.
  4. Arrange the following four countries from the greatest GDP to the least: Thailand, Switzerland, South Korea, Austria.
  5. Arrange the following five countries from the greatest population to the least: Mexico, Japan, Pakistan, the Philippines, Argentina.
  6. Arrange the following five countries from the greatest population to the least: France, South Africa, Australia, Cuba, Syria.
  7. What is the currency of South Korea?
  8. What is the currency of Libya?
  9. Which of the following countries does not officially use the euro as its national currency: Germany, Sweden, Greece, Austria, or France?
  10. What are the capitals of the following countries: South Africa, Panama, Syria, Tunisia, Peru, Madagascar?

Extra credit. Arrange the following four countries from the most kilometers of coastline to the least: Brazil, Turkey, Denmark, Italy.
Extra credit. What are the two names for the national currency of China?
WOW, YOU MUST BE CHEATING :slight_smile:

1. Arrange the following fifteen countries from the most kilometers of coastline to the least: Norway, Democratic Republic of Congo, Mexico, Australia, Chile, Denmark, Argentina, Canada, Turkey, Tunisia, the Philippines, the United Kingdom, Brazil, Panama, Russia.

2. Arrange the following twelve countries from the greatest GDP to the least: Germany, Iceland, Canada, Israel, Qatar, Iran, China, Belize, Libya, Chad, Switzerland, Japan.

3. What are the capitals of the following countries: Paraguay, Pakistan, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Laos, Belarus, Latvia?

Rome isn’t a country

Well, let’s see how badly I can do…

E1. United Kingdom
E2. Mexico
E3. India
E4. Germany
E5. Russia
E6. Iran
E7. The yen
E8. The franc
E9. The krone
E10. Um, Italy? Brasilia, Cairo, Seoul, Tokyo, Athens
EX1. Greece
EX2. China

H1. Madagascar
H2. Solomon Islands
H3. Japan
H4. Austria
H5. Vietnam
H6. Turkey
H7. The pound
H8. The rupee
H9. The bhat
H10. Stockholm, Reykjavik, Wellington, Tel Aviv, Delhi, Ho Chi Minh City
HX1. Iceland
HX2. Norway

G9. Greece
G10. Johannesburg, Panama, Damascus, Lima
GX1. The yuan and the yen?

W3. Asuncion, Paraguay and Riga, Latvia

I can’t help you with many of the others, but here’s your capitals:

• Rome, Brazil, Egypt, South Korea, Japan and Greece?

Rome’s the capital of Italy, Brasilia, Cairo, Seoul, Tokyo, Athens.

• Sweden, Iceland, New Zealand, Israel, India, Vietnam?

Stockholm, Reykjavik, Wellington, Tel Aviv, New Delhi, Hanoi.

• South Africa, Panama, Syria, Tunisia, Peru, Madagascar?

Johannesburg/Pretoria, Panama City, Damascus, Tunis, Lima, Antananarivo.

• Paraguay, Pakistan, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Laos, Belarus, Latvia?

Asuncion, Islamabad, Kinshasa, Vientiane, Minsk, Riga.

Do I win anything? :slight_smile:

As close as I can figure…

1. Russia
  2. Mexico
  3. India
  4. Germany
  5. Russia
  6. Iran
  7. Yen
  8. Franc
  9. Kroner
  10. (I guess everyone’s picked up on Rome/Italy by now) Brasilia, Cairo, Seoul, Tokyo, Athens

Extra Credit 1: Greece
Extra Credit 2: China

1. Madagascar
  2. Italy
  3. France
  4. Austria
  5. United Kingdom
  6. Turkey
  7. Shekel
  8. Rupee
  9. ?
  10. Stockholm, Reyjavik, Wellington, Tel Aviv, New Delhi, Ho Chi Minh City

Extra credit 1: Argentina
Extra credit 2: Ireland

GRAND DOPER

1. United States, Australia, Norway, Phillipines
  2. South Africa, Panama, Tunisia, Ecuador
  3. Sweden, New Zealand, Peru, Kazakhstan.
  4. South Korea, Switzerland, Austria, Thailand
  5. Pakistan, Mexico, Japan, Argentina, the Phillipines
  6. France, Australia, South Africa, Cuba, Syria.
  7. ?
  8. ?
  9. Sweden
  10. Johannesburg, Capetown, & Pretoria; Panama City; Damascus; Tunis; Lima; Antanadavario

Extra credit 1: Brazil, Turkey, Denmark, Italy.
Extra credit. ?
Wow, you must be Cheating:

1. Canada, Russia, Australia, Mexico, Argentina, Chile, Brazil, Norway, Turkey, the Phillipines, the United Kingdom, Denmark, Panama, Tunisia, Democratic Republic of the Congo

2. Arrange the following twelve countries from the greatest GDP to the least: Germany, China, Canada, Japan, Switzerland, Israel, Iceland, Qatar, Belize, Libya, Iran, Chad,

3. Asuncion, Islamabad, Kinshasha, ? , Minsk, Riga

E1 Russia
E2 Mexico
E3 India
E4 Germany
E5 Russia
E6 Iran
E7 Yen
E8 Euro
E9 Svenske Kronor
E10 Italy :wink: , Brazilia, Kairo, Seoul, Tokyo, Athen

Greece
China

H1 Cuba
H2 Solomon Islands
H3 Japan
H4 Austria
H5 UK
H6 Germany
H7
H8 Rupi
H9 Dong
H10 Stockholm, Reykjavik, Auckland, Tel Aviv, New Delhi, Hanoi

Argentina
Norway

G1 Phillipines, US, Australia, Norway
G2 South Africa, Panama, Tunisia, Ecuador
G3 Sweden, New Zealand, Peru, Kazakhstan
G4 Switzerland, south Korea, Austria, Thaniland
G5 Japan, Argentina, Pakistan, Phillipines, Mexico
G6 France, South Africa, Australia, Cuba, Syria
G7
G8
G9 Sweden
G10 Pretoria, Panama City, Damaskus, Tunis, , Antananarivo

Italy, Turkey, Brazil, Denmark
Peking, Beijing

W1 Canada, Russia, the Philippines, Norway, Australia, Turkey, Argentina, Mexico, Chile, Brazil, the United Kingdom, Denmark, Panama, Tunisia, Democratic Republic of Congo
W2 Japan, Germany, China, Canada, Switzerland, Iran, Qatar, Israel, Iceland, Libya, Belize, Chad,
W3 (…), Lahore, Kinshasa, (…), Minsk, Riga

EASY PICKINGS

1. Russia
  2. Mexico
  3. India
  4. Germany
  5. Russia
  6. Greece?
  7. Yen
  8. Franc
  9. Euro?
  10. Rome, Brasilia, Cairo, Seoul, Tokyo and Athens

Extra credit. Greece
Extra credit. China

HARDER

1. Madagascar
  2. Solomon Islands
  3. Japan
  4. Austria
  5. Vietnam
  6. Turkey
  7. I should know this but don’t.
  8. Rupee?
  9. Don’t Know.
  10. Don’t know, Rekjavik (I know it’s spelled wrong), Auckland?, Tel Aviv, Delhi?, Don’t know

Extra credit. Argentina
Extra credit. Ireland
GRAND DOPER

1. Norway, Australia, the Philippines, the United States.
  2. South Africa, Panama, Ecuador, Tunisia.
  3. Sweden, Peru, New Zealand, Kazakhstan.
  4. Thailand, South Korea, Switzerland, Austria.
  5. Pakistan, Japan, Mexico, the Philippines, Argentina.
  6. South Africa, France, Cuba, Australia, Syria.
  7. Don’t know
  8. Don’t know
  9. Sweden?
  10. Don’t know, Panama City, Don’t know, Tunis, Lima, Don’t know

Extra credit. Turkey, Denmark, Brazil, Italy.
Extra credit. Don’t know
WOW, YOU MUST BE CHEATING
Not even going to try to guess.