Worst film to get an Oscar nomination

Aha! The 1979 Oscars kinda sticks in my mind, mainly because of those two nominees for best song: “Last Dance” and “Ready to Take a Chance Again.” The other contenders for awards like Deer Hunter, Coming Home, Superman, Midnight Express, Heaven Can Wait, Grease, etc. were just awesome.

All this time I thought I was the only one who thought that. The love this snore-fest garners never ceases to amaze me. That awful wedding scene drags on longer than some actual marriages!

This just goes to show how subjective this can be. I am a Tarantino fan, but I would rank Django Unchained (which I like) well below both Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown. And while I would have voted for Django over Argo, I don’t see it as a travesty that the latter won BP.

Couldn’t disagree more. Snore-fest? How?
There’s always something going on, there are subtleties going on between all the main characters at all time. And the Vietnam scenes… seriously,** snore-fest**???

I guess your life on the edge, playing Russian roulette knowing that your life could be gone in a second, having to spend all that time in a bamboo cage with the possibility that you may NEVER be rescued may be dull to you, but that’s damn good drama to me.

See, for me, it’s the 1976 Oscars that sticks in my mind. How in the world could “Rocky” just an okay underdog film beat such GREAT films as “All The President’s Men”, “Taxi Driver” and “Network” for Best Picture??? (while “Bound for Glory” was the fifth nominee may not have been great, it was very good and introduced a new camera technique)

But as has just been noted here, Best Song and Best Visual Effects are specialized categories in which otherwise bad movies have won.

Citizen Kane, to be fair, was nominated in nine categories, including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Actor. The major issue there was that the film was the subject of a massive campaign by William Randolph Hearst to suppress it and prevent its release altogether which included threats against the studios and against Orson Welles personally. I often disagree with Oscar choices, but this wasn’t a matter of the Academy not recognizing the brilliance of the film, but rather the result of one of the most egregious politicizations and smear campaigns in Hollywood history.

The English Patient

You’re welcome.

Avatar was nominated for best picture, and it was recycled, saccharine crap.

I don’t think I can be friends with someone who didn’t like The English Patient! :slight_smile:

Well, it’s no Sack Lunch.