Worst film to get an Oscar nomination

So just going through the Oscar nominations and noticed Fifty Shades of Grey got one for Best Original Song. It struck me odd, given the incredible piece of shit the movie was. That got me to thinking. What’s the worst movie to get an Oscar nomination? Better yet, what’s the worst movie to get an Oscar win?

Norbit was nominated for Best Achievement in Makeup (Rick Baker and Kazuhiro Tsuji) in 2008.

The Greatest Show on Earth won the Best Picture and Best Story Oscars. It’s widely considered one of the worst films ever to even be nominated for Best Picture. One of the other nominees was High Noon.

It’s actually not that bad, though certainly not the best picture of any year; the award was mostly just a lifetime achievement award for Cecil B. DeMille.

I’ve seen people saying the worst film to win an Oscar was Thank God It’s Friday, which won for best song in 1978. That category has always been Oscar’s Achilles Heel – there are many nominees from mediocre movies where the song was the best thing about them.

Phantom Menace got three nominations, but it isn’t as bad as some other even worse movies.

I think the better question is what is the worst movie to get a nomination for writing, directing, or best picture.

From my point of view in these situations the song itself got nominated, not the film. The song itself “Earned It” by The Weeknd was highly appreciated and The Weeknd won a lot of awards this passing year.

To be on topic, I feel like what Micheal Caine said in a BBC interview 2 days ago very true, that Oscars are not that representative. Some actors argued that it’s the second year no black actor was nominated and there were great roles interpreted by black actors.
Micheal Caine , himself, said that it took him years and years to be nominated for an Oscar.

I didn’t think it was fair that in 2013, Ben Affleck’s “Argo” won the Best Picture Award, since from my point of view it should have been Quentin Tarantino’s “Django Unchained” . Both are great films, but Tarantino succeded in creating his best film, a once in a lifetime masterpiece from my point of view. I am daring to bet that he won’t make any film better than Django Unchained, and as I’ve seen The Hateful Eight , it concludes that his style will become more common and unentertaining to the vast majority, hence he will go downhill from here on.

Fair enough, I was trying to picture someone standing at the podium witha straight face saying, “I’d like to thank the Academy and the producers and crew for the opportunity to work on such a special project like Fifty Shades of Grey…”

Gladiator won best picture and best actor, plus three other awards. It’s easily the worst film I’ve ever seen that won the top Oscar, though I haven’t seen Crash.

Lots of horrible films have won or been nominated for Best Visual Effects: Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, The Golden Compass, Real Steel, Prometheus, etc.

Well, The Broadway Melody is pretty terrible by modern standards. It was a big hit, and well regarded in its time, but looks pretty bad today.

The Deer Hunter certainly isn’t very good. The Academy wanted to give an award to a film that tackled Vietnam, and couldn’t wait for Coppola.

Best Visual Effects is a good category to seek out some stinkers:

Alice in Wonderland (2010)
Alien 3 (1992)
Cliffhanger (1993)
Dragonslayer (1981)
Earthquake (1974) - won
The Hindenburg (1975) - won
I, Robot (2004)
King Kong (2005) - won
The Lone Ranger (2013)
The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)
Moonraker (1979)
1941 (1979)
Pearl Harbor (2001)
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End (2007)
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest (2006) - won
Poltergeist II: The Other Side (1986)
Poseidon (2006)
The Poseidon Adventure (1972) - won
Prometheus (2012)
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)
Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002)
Starship Troopers (1997)
Superman Returns (2006)
Transformers (2007)
Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011)
When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth (1970)
Willow (1988)

I think it’s worth noting that The Poseidon Adventure won two Oscars (Best Song and Best Visual Effects) while Citizen Kane won only one (Best Original Screenplay).

From the synopsis: Subplots involve the secret past of Buttons the Clown

Thank you. That made my day.

Yeah, I think Gladiator is the worst Best Picture I’ve seen and I also have not seen Crash.

Wait. Shakespeare in Love might be worse. It was a rare year where all other films nominated for Best Picture were better(Saving Private Ryan, Thin Red Line, Elizabeth, and Life is Beautiful).

Batman Forever had…wait for it…3 nominations, by the way.

Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa* from 2013 is the one that stands out in my mind in this category. Got an Oscar nom for Best Makeup and Hairstyling. Johnny Knoxville couldn’t believe it.

It also won an award from the Makeup Artist & Hair Stylist Guild!

(While it is 60% at RT, I think there’s a huge genre pass given by the critics. “Well, for a Jackass movie …”)

• Not to be confused with the new De Niro trash Dirty Grandpa, 7% at RT.

Dude, that movie was hilarious in some parts. No way is that a really bad movie. I’d put it in “most unlikely” nomination, not worst movie to get one.

While I agree it was a bad choice for Best Picture, the question was “What’s the worst movie to get an Oscar nomination,” and if you think “The Greatest Show On Earth” was worse than “Norbit,” you have either not seen both movies or you’re Eddie Murphy.

All the references here to movies that won Best Picture are wrong. Sorry, I know it’s an opinion call but you’re wrong. “Gladiator,” “Shakepeare in Love” and “The Deer Hunter” may not be your cup of tea but they are all perfectly well made movies. “Poltergeist II: The Other Side” was every bit as good a movie as it sounds like it would be, which is to say it blew.

One look at the cast list to see who played said clown and you have some idea how it won Best Picture.

Speaking of which, it was the last Best Picture before Crash in 2005 where Picture, Director, Lead Actor, Lead Actress, Supporting Actor, and Supporting Actress went to six different films.

Here are some worse movies nominated for an Oscar in that category:

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
Bicentennial Man
Click
Dad
Heartbeeps
Hook
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
(winner)
The Lone Ranger
The Time Machine

as well as the aforementioned Norbit.

But there was a very strong case for the nomination. Remember, the movie was shot in public areas, and the makeup had to be good enough to fool people close up.

I have seen “Crash” (the Oscar winner from about 10 years ago; there do exist other movies with that title). It was OK, but I didn’t like the characters. The movie mainly consists of people not being nice to each other, for an assortment of reasons.

:rolleyes:

No offense, but that attitude is what makes the subplot work.

Because, c’mon, what are the odds that “Buttons The Clown” has problems that anyone would care about? I’m sure he’s just a silly goofball who, yeah, now that you mention it, I’ve never seen without his makeup – but who gives a crap who he is? On an unrelated note, just yesterday I saw where the cops are still looking for a respected physician who killed his wife years ago; I understand they go everywhere you’d expect to find a serious and well-educated man like that.