Worst "Best Picture" Winner of the last 40 years?

What film do do think is the worst film to win the “Best Picture” Acadamy award since 1979?. Poll coming, may take a while.

No need for a poll. The answer is Crash.

Forgot to add in my OP, please only vote if you’ve seen at least 15 of them. Please do not vote for a film you have not seen, even if from reputation you think it is worse than all the films you have seen.

Well, you can make all the arguments you want but the freaking academy gave best picture to Dances With Wolves and not Goodfellas.

I wish we could have multiple votes. But only 1? Chariots of Boring.

Also please don’t vote for the “most unjustly given” film. The level of the other nominees that year should not be a factor.

Ah, good clarification. Would definitely have changed my answer if the question was interpreted as “worst choice of Best Picture.”

The Artist, hands down. Can’t believe I’m the only one who’s voted for it so far. Even without taking into consideration that 2012 was a weak year for nominees, **The Artist **is the one winner from the last 40 years that I would least want to sit down and watch right now.

Crash was not great, and **The Shape of Water **sucked, but I’d rather watch either of them.

I seen better than half of them I suppose. Shakespeare in Love did nothing for me.

I still have no idea how Gladiator is a Best Picture film.

I knew my movie watching really dropped off lately but this is an interesting bit of evidence. I’ve only seen 7 of these with the Lord of the Rings entry the most recent.

Birdman definitely!

Sooooo much self indulgent, metaphoric crap. When he flings himself off the roof, I began celebrating, IT’S OVER ! But no! It went on for another eternity after that. Ugh!

This. What an ugly film.

I actually have seen all of 'em but one. The classic answer for many a year is of course Titanic.

The one I haven’t seen? The Lord of The Rings: The Return of The King.

The first movie was so godawful bad that was the end of it. Even at the time people said it was a pity Oscar. So it’s a contender but since I didn’t see it …

I have no idea what people’s problem with Crash is. (Other than the title obscuring a better film with the same name.) There’s several good-but-not-great films on the list that are not nearly as good. E.g., the first two: Kramer vs. Kramer and Ordinary People.

Gladiator. Overlong and tedious.

People dislike Crash because they don’t understand (or resist) its message.

Yeah, this. Not the worst movie I’ve ever seen but completely undeserving of an award.

Birdman was contrived to appeal to academy voters for the sole purpose of winning an Oscar. It has no entertainment value outside that small audience.

I’ll stack rank the ones I have seen, favorite to least favorite (roughly):

Favorites:
Dances With Wolves
The Departed
No Country for Old Men

Very good:
Ordinary People
Gandhi
Amadeus

Pretty good:
Platoon
The Silence of the Lambs
Unforgiven
Forrest Gump
Braveheart
Titanic
Gladiator

Decent:
Kramer vs. Kramer
Terms of Endearment
Rain Man
Schindler’s List
A Beautiful Mind
American Beauty
Chicago
Crash
Slumdog Millionaire
The Hurt Locker
The King’s Speech
Argo

Pretty bad: if we got more than one vote, these would be them
Million Dollar Baby
Out of Africa
The Last Emperor
Driving Miss Daisy
The English Patient

Awful:
Chariots of Fire — just awful

I have not seen: not considered in my voting

Shakespeare in Love
The Lord of The Rings: The Return of The King
The Artist
12 Years a Slave
Birdman
Spotlight
Moonlight
The Shape of Water

I don’t get it either. I thought Crash was great. Maybe they think it’s too preachy?

There’s a bunch of films I didn’t care for but The Hurt Locker was one of the few that I really didn’t understand all the love for. Just felt like cliche driven crap.