Chuck Berry, 1972 live recording of Reeling and Rocking
(quoting this from memory)

"I looked at my watch, it was a little past six
Man I jumped back like a cement mixer"

and

"I looked at my watch and it was straight up twelve
Man we started diggin’ like an old steam shevel"

(“shevel” is what it sounds like to me)

To borrow from another thread…Yeah - I’m hearing that whoosh (no - not of non-comprehension) of that oversized mallet-head, swinging ominously through the air, soon to land on something.
And that something would be Bob Welch’s saccharine-beyond-reason “Sentimental Lady”, featuring this perfectly normal rhyme:

Fourteen joys and a will to be merry
And all of the things that we say are very

Extra pukey is that the following lyrics are not, at all, any sort of logical continuation from “very”, even.

I remember it as “with,” and the commercials I found it sounds like “with” to me. You can still find it a bad rhyme. (I think it’s fine.)

The kid had something of a Jersey Mob accent to force the rhyme.

I can’t decide if these ones are stupid, clever, or clever because they’re stupid.

Queen, I’m In Love With My Car:

When I’m holding your wheel
All I hear is your gear

and
With my hand on your grease gun
Oh, it’s like a disease, son

I don’t think Gordon Lightfoot was trying to rhyme “go” and “most”; “As the big freighters go, it was bigger than most” was one line in the second verse. Some lines of The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald did have internal rhyme: “The ship was the pride of the American side”, “Old Michigan steams, like a young man’s dreams”. But not all of them.

Anyway, I’m willing to give Gordon some slack, for the sake of the beautiful rhyme in the fifth verse, that punches home the tragedy:

They might have split up, or they might have capsized
They may have drove deep and took water.
And all that remains, are the faces and the names
Of the wives, and the sons, and the daughters
.”

Okay, how ‘bout rhyming ‘Wisconsin’ with ‘well-seasoned’? Or ‘Cleveland’ with ‘feelin’’?

Not sure there was intent to rhyme - much of the song seemed to me to be in free verse. The song flows, not too worried about the rest :grin:

Slant rhymes. Nothin’ wrong with 'em.

Jethro Tull, Bungle in the Jungle:

Down by the waterhole, drunk every Friday
Eating their nuts, saving their raisins for Sunday

I don’t think Friday rhymes with Sunday.

Oh, come now! It’s Arlo Guthrie. He’s being funny.

This is pretty much totally off topic, but if you enjoy the music of Gordon Lightfoot, @Slow_Moving_Vehicle watch this. Carson McKee has a great voice and it’s a nice cover but wait till the end. He plays it through twice, and the second time… well it was literal LoL for me.

That was funny, yes. But the guy’s own voice is pretty good, too. Thanks for the tip, @Princhester .

Joke failed a tiny bit for me, though, because the version of “Early Morning Rain” I’m most familiar with is the Peter Paul and Mary cover.

Actually I’ve barely heard Lightfoot doing Early Morning Rain myself, but his vocal style is so distinctive it translates regardless of which particular song.

Carson McKee is half of The Other Favorites, the other half being a guitar prodigy by the name of Josh Turner. Basically all their stuff is great.

That rhymes perfectly. In Boston.

Still eluding me, but in the ball-park, there’s

And still it begins-uh
With needles and pins-uh

:neutral_face:

Except that rhymes perfectly, without the “uh”

Meh - whatever legitmacy there may to the rhyme is brutally, horrendously, and viley :scream: quashed by the “uh’s”.
Egregious blasphemy, I say.

Bob Dylan famously thought they were singing “I get high” instead of “I can’t hide,” so you can always pretend those are the lyrics!

Ha, I think I remember that story-- when Dylan and the Beatles first met, he sparked one up, hit it and passed it to one of the Beatles, who were all “what’s this then? Eh, what? Is that one of those ‘Jazz cigarattes’?”

Dylan, surprised, said he thought they already smoked the herb, because he mistook that line as “I get high”.

Sorry to drag this back in, ha ha, but I hadn’t checked back into this thread. Anyway, yeah that was my take (before being corrected). It makes sense - dog without a bone, actor without an audience.

No worries my good man. It’s all good. I probably snarked back a bit myself. :wink:

Appreciate your posting about the handwritten lyrics. I was able to google and find copy online.

I still think “out alone” makes more sense!