Worst lyric rhymes

Says the person who backed up their opinion with a video of a band that is conspicuously not the 1971 Doors.

I wasn’t referring to internet lyric sites, precisely because they’re outrageously inaccurate. I was referring to printed lyrics from 1971 onwards, and sat here wracking my brain trying to remember if I have any of those sources in my possession. Old books or magazines, LP liners. Nope. Knowing that I was right isn’t much of a cite.
I gave up, posted my response, and about 60 seconds later it dawned on me that I happen to own the new uber-definitive collection of Jim’s poems and lyrics, including photos (where available) of the handwritten originals. Furthermore, that 600 page book is in my Kindle which had literally been right there in my lap all the while.

So the “Christ sake” and all caps represented me slapping my own forehead, not that there was any way you or anybody else could have known it.
Great. I’m now someone who talks to himself and posts it online.

Not ignoring, just not bothering to mention it. Jim was badly burnt out by the time he wrote it, and it shows. IMO.

I always thought that was quite clever

My apologies to Lucas_Jackson. I was under a tremendous amount of stress yesterday and the day before, I was prickly, not quite myself, and shouldn’t have been posting online. While I hope this explains my verbal outburst, it doesn’t excuse it.
Again, I apologize.

Sweet dreams are made of this
Who am I to disagree?
-The Eurythmics

Just say “these” :angry:

I don’t think they were going for a rhyme there. The next lines are:

I traveled the world and the seven seas
Everybody’s looking for something

Not every song must have a rhyme structure. There was a recent thread about songs that don’t rhyme, and a lot of good songs were posted.

Except if you say “these”, you GET a rhyme with both the second and third lines, capping with the fourth. And the way its sung is commonly mistaken to be that way because that’s how it sounds.

Then you get a bunch of you/you/you/abused rhymes anyway. So it never struck my ear as some innovative structure, just bad rhyming.

I think they just didn’t give a shit about conventional rhyming. Hey, this was British new wave after all, a kind of anything goes genre.

That’s a reason for the bad rhyme but it’s still a bad rhyme :smiley:

Ok, I concede that. :grin: (but it never bothered me. It’s such a great song that I don’t even ever noticed structural shortcomings)

I hate it when people sing it as “these” :hushed:. I mean, the way Annie sings it does sound like “these” but then the line doesn’t make sense. It’s as if people think it has to rhyme with “seas”. That being said, it occurs to me now that I’ve never actually looked up the lyrics; it could be “these”, for all I know.

Kid Rock - All Summer long:

And we were trying different things
We were smoking funny things

FFS, how hard is it to find a word that rhymes with “things”?

Related: you’ll often hear the B-section of “Oh Chanukah” rendered as:

And while we are playing, the candles are burning bright,
One for each night, they shed a sweet light to remind us of days long ago.

when it’s actually “…burning low.”

As I was reaching into the refrigerator for the pickle jar to make a sandwich, I thought of Arlo Guthrie’s Motorcycle Song:

I don’t want a pickle
Just want to ride on my motor[sickle]
And I don’t want a tickle
'Cause I’d rather ride on my motor[sickle]

Funny or just dumb? I guess it depends on how high you were at the time.

The verses ain’t much better:

Just last week I was on my bike
I run into a friend named Mike
Run into my friend named Mike
Mike no longer has a bike.

I don’t wanna grow up
I’m a Toys “R” Us kid
They got a million toys at Toys “R” Us
That I can play wid

Fingernails. Chalkboard. Forever.

Those two couplets are a set-up for the punchline in the third couplet:

I don’t want to die
Just want to ride my motorcy . . . . . . cle.

It amused me.

No, it’s brilliant. You expect "cup of tea, but get “cup of meat”. Like Shakespeare saying “sea of troubles” instead of “host of troubles”. (Thanks to I. Asimov for that comparison.)

“Mississippi Queen”!

Jeez, welcome back, man! Or woman as the case may be.

Especially since they’d get so pissed when I opened the packages to play with them.