Worst songs of the 70s

“The best-selling single of all time by a female group” was the unforgivable Euro-disco track “Yes Sir, I Can Boogie” (1977) by Spanish pop duo Baccara.

I swear that in the late 1990s, there was a TV advertisement for a 70s hits compilation album that included about 50% of the songs that have been mentioned in this thread. Unfortunately I can’t seem to find it on Youtube. I seem to recall that the album title was AM Gold, but it appears that Time Life Records put out more than one album under that title. I think that almost every song in that commercial has been named in this thread!

Not just at Lambeau; it was used by a ton of sports teams in the '90s and early 2000s, before Glitter’s conviction on child sex offenses. It looks like the NFL instructed teams to stop playing the song at that point.

Apparently had a huge crush on Stevie Nicks (Didn’t we all?)

Frightening look at what cocaine can do to someone.

Oddly, I really like this song.

This is an interesting discussion. Some terrible songs listed here, but also some good ones.

Can we all agree to hate this?

I’ll be a nay vote on that. That’s a fun, peppy, breezy disco song, one of the defining songs of the genre, to me.

It’s a great little song, despite the clumsiness of the metaphor.

MacArthur Park was so bad that the badness extended two years into the future.
:wink:

Rosanna by Toto. It makes me gag.

I can see that, but it’s kind of legendary in music circles for Jeff Porcaro’s drum part (it’s a type of half-time shuffle a la Bernard Purdie and then John Bonham that is seen as a high point in drumming. Like, literally, almost every rock drummer will know about the Rosanna shuffle.) While it’s not one of my favorite songs, Porcaro’s groove cannot be denied, so, for me, it’s hard to put it anywhere near the worst of the 70s. That said, I understand one’s revulsion towards the song.

Ooops, Toto’s Rosanna was from 82,so it does not qualify. Change my submission to “You Little Trustmaker” by The Tymes.

In the “McArthur Park” and “You’re Havin My Baby” genre, I offer this piece of crap for which I have an almost irrational hatred. Midnight at the Oasis.

I’ve always hated “Copacabana”. I’m surprised there’s not more hate here for Barry Manilow, what with “Mandy,” “Looks Like We Made It,” “Can’t Smile Without You,” and “Ready to Take a Chance Again.”

Styx has always got on my nerves. “Lady,” “Babe,” and “Come Sail Away,” are awful.

I’m hoping they are referring to the Donna Summer version.

Because the Richard Harris version is awesome. Donna’s, well, “disco sucks”.

(as I kid - what did I know? - I thought there were two RH, the actor and the singer.)

OOF, that one is annoying as fuck. And there’s NO GODDAMN CACTUS IN AN ARABIAN DESERT. Stop saying “cactus is our friend!” It’s a stupid fucking line even if the song took place in the American Southwest, but again there’s NO FUCKING CACTUS IN THE DESERT THAT YOU’RE REFERRING TO!!! AGHH!

We need to include the entire Gary Puckett/Union Gap catalog. I don’t know or care when they were recorded. They all suck cue-balls through PVC pipe.

There is a song that repeats, “I’m getting closer to my home” for about 15 minutes.

Actually, there are lots of cacti in the American southwest. Not many camels, though. And we generally speak of a “waterhole”, not an “oasis”.

“I’m Your Captain (Closer To Home)”, by Grand Funk Railroad.