Worst songs of the 70s

Muskrat Love - and pretty much every other song by Captain & Tennille

This (I’ve Never Been to Me) was used in Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, and with those visuals, it’s not a bad song at all. :slight_smile:

I agree. Perhaps they didn’t get all the details right etc. but at least they brought the issue to the attention of the public. I like the “righteous indignation” and “social injustice” songs for the most part, anyway. In that Half Breed video, was Cher hawt or what?

Remember “Rocky” by Austin Roberts, where boy meets girl, falls in love, she has baby, she dies, etc.? Ugh.

Or Emma (Leen) by Hot Chocolate where she finally gives up and suicides?

I wonder how many songs are hated due to overplay. I grew to loathe “The Things We Do for Love” by 10cc for that reason. Another song by 10cc that never got played enough: I’m Not in Love.

I beg to differ. There were a lot of crap songs, true, as there are in every decade, but the 70s also brought us

Layla (Clapton–original and best version)
Ramblin’ Man (Allman Brothers)
Black Magic Woman (Santana)
Another Brick in the Wall (Pink Floyd)
Sultans of Swing (Dire Straits)
Get Back (Beatles)
Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin)
Bridge Over Troubled Water (Simon and Garfunkle)

There are probably more I’m not thinking of. You may not like every song on there, but if they all sound like dreck to you, we have nothing further to discuss.

And my nomination for one of the worst:

“Rocky,” sung by Austin Roberts, which hit #9 on the Billboard chart in 1975, and that includes the lyrics

Alone until my eighteenth year
We met four springs ago
She was shy and had a fear
Of things she did not know
But we got it on together
In such a super way
We held each other close at night
And traded dreams each day

The chorus changes from “Rocky I’ve never been in love before/Don’t know if I can do it” to “Rocky, I’ve never had to die before/Don’t know if I can do it.”

This right here. Absolutely the most wretched song I’ve ever had the misfortune of hearing.

This gets my vote. In fact, I am willing to cast a vote for it in the name of every woman in existence.

When I was in college in the early 1990s, a writer for the school’s newspaper, who was in his early 20s, said that he realized he was an adult when he heard “The Night Chicago Died” and didn’t think it really was that bad of a song.

I thought this song went away in the 70’s but then it got new life as a backing track to Green Bay Packers football at Lambeau Field in the 90’s:

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86fK4jNT8-k]

I never could stand the song “Lovin’ You”. The screechy, high pitched notes
are like listening to nails on a chalkboard to me. Tragically, the singer of this
song contracted cancer and died at the young age of 31.

Lovin’ You · Minnie Riperton

This is the flip side of “Seasons in the Sun”.

It did get some air play in the 70’s. Why I don’t know.

Put the Bone in, she yelled out once more!

Can’t believe nobody mentioned this puker Made it all the way to #6.

She was also the mother of Maya Rudolph.

More on topic, my votes are for songs that were already mentioned. Having My Baby, Seasons in the Sun.

This thread has gone on a mighty long time without mention of Walter Egan:

I am of two minds on this one:

Oh, you want to talk about B sides?
I give you the B side of David Souls’s hit “Don’t Give Up On Us Baby”

The single, maybe.

But the 15-minute version that comprised the entire first side of the album? Probably the best thing to come out of the disco era, IMO.

No love for Mr. Loaf?

I thought this thread was for “worst songs of the '70s”, not “greatest pop songs of all time”.

I don’t know if it counts, as it was released first in 1968, but it was re-released 1970m so perhaps: The Pot Smoker’s Song, by Neil Diamond.
Ebony and Ivory (this has been expended to the 80s, right?) gave me the creeps. I bought the record, listened to it once.
And that is without getting into the disco genre…

“Why do birds fall down from the sky,
Everytime you walk by…”