Worst songs of the 70s

My submission is Paul McCartney’s apologia for bad songs from the 70s.

True enough, so so long as we don’t have to actually hear that song.

Dammit, now I have an earworm of that song in my head now… :exploding_head:

I remember in the 70s when ‘Wings’ was getting a lot of radio airplay, my grandfather, who normally hated rock music, seemed to like that song. I think he liked the brassy horns in it.

As I remember he also liked the wings song 'Let ‘em in’.

WHA? That song is awesome.

But, comparatively speaking, in the land where Disco Duck, Seasons in the Sun or Chevy Van live, Silly Loves Songs is freaking Mozart.

And y’all lay off A Horse With No Name while you’re at it.

I just thought of another one. ‘Wildfire’. I guess it’s not a bad song musically; it’s just too mawkish for my taste.

Wildfire

…ooh, Three Dog Night’s “One” is from 1969, so it barely misses the cutoff.

If there’s ever a guilty pleasure for me, it’s that song. I love it!

OTOH I hated “Maybe I’m Amazed”.

A bit of trivia: the singer on Elvin Bishop’s “Fooled Around and Fell In Love” was Mickey Thomas, who went on to sing for (Jefferson) Starship.

Don’t worry - there ain’t no one for to give you no pain.

This one is so funky you might miss just how cancelled Jimmy Castor would be if this came out today. We sure loved it back in the day though. The studio version wasn’t nearly this good either.

Because the heat was hot.

“Wildfire”
Oh, they say she died one winter
When there came a killing frost
And the pony she named Wildfire
Busted down its stall
In a blizzard, he was lost

Just into the 70s, there was “Neanderthal Man” by Hotlegs.

The group changed their name to 10cc and continued on as if it never happened.

FTR, I always hear it as ‘to’ not ‘in’.

Some of my own choices:

“Go Away Little Girl” — Donny Osmond
“Baby Don’t Get Hooked on Me” — Mac Davis
“Rhinestone Cowboy” — Glen Campbell
“Fly Robin Fly” — Silver Convention (already mentioned)
“Convoy” — CW McCall
“Star Wars Theme” — Meco
“Pop Musik” — M
“A Fifth of Beethoven” — Walter Murphy (might be the worst song of all time)

I loath Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress (1971).

I will NOT post a link, I hate it that bad. Why would I want to punish you Dopers?

Because it’s a awesome song!

My career in AM radio corresponded almost exactly with the 1970s, so I personally heard (and played) pretty much every song in this thread. Allow me to scrape the barrel bottom a little harder.

The Night Chicago Died

Ben - Not only is it the story of a boy and his rat, but proof that even Michael Jackson couldn’t save a bad song.

Have You Never Been Mellow - I was torn between this and Olivia’s version of If Not for You, but this song is just so perfectly 1970s (it sounds like a dozen other bad songs) that it captures the entire era.

He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother - The Hollies took a long time to recover after Graham Nash left. I guess they had to work through it with stuff like this.

An early issue of Judge Dredd featured his brother Rico, whom Dredd had arrested and sentenced to serve twenty years on Titan, returned to kill him. Well, Joe Dredd won, and when carrying his brother’s body out of the building a paramedic asked if he could help. Dredd replied, “He ain’t heavy. He’s my brother.” This would have been around 1977.