Worst songs of the 70s

And why do the police want him? Because in the first verse he dished out his own brand of law enforcement. QED

He’s just a regular killer. He killed a guy that SAID bad thing about his woman. That’s not vigilantism. It’s plain old murder.

I’m not sure I can quite make it through this thread. It burns. I know so much of it already, but feel compelled to listen to a lot of it again so I really know how bad it is. So I have to pause at post 69 or so to note:

Hehe, I dearly love that song.

My, that rules in its own loony way. How did I never hear this before?

Good lord, just the placeholder lyrics, huh?

I’d have to say that this thread gives me hope for my long, unsuccessful musical career. I’ve just been writing the wrong sort of crap for decades.

Good lord. Before now, I just thought this song sucked. Now I realize it’s jazz wielded as mental weapon. I think you might win this if these songs were ever brought together in a head to head combat of sucking.

The guitar player–maybe Amos Garrett?-- is terrific. Muldauer’s not bad, either.

You Light Up My Life is absolutely horrid. Pat Boone is a fraud and a phony and his daughter sings the song. Just ugly all around.

Physical by Olivia Newton-John is horribly bad as well.

I have a confession. I liked many of the songs listed and I still do… We put these songs at the top of the charts, I didn’t know any better and there was influence by friends and society.
Once upon a time Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods was my favorite group (until I graduated to Elton John). Recently I checked out an album of their “greatest hits” which includes songs that I knew and some I have never heard before. I still liked (more or less) the songs that I liked back then. But, when I heard other songs for the first time, without any association, I got it. I couldn’t listen to those songs. Now I see how others see Billy Don’t Be a Hero and their other songs.

I actually put “Sky High” in the small group of pure disco songs I can tolerate. It’s pretty catchy.

This is what I came to post. There are some other doozies in this thread though. WOW!

My grandma was one of them. She pretty much thought all pop culture was eeeeeevil, though.

I, too, love most of the songs listed here. The reason I chose Anka’s “Having My Baby” is because of the brazen misogyny it contained.

Some more 70s soft rock dreck. ‘Baby Come Back’ from the band Player.

Player, Baby Come Back

I’m pleased to see the level of loathing for 10cc here. It reminds me that I’m in the company of good people. Now… it occurred to me today that I know something about them which is so utterly useless that I could not, in fairness, describe it as a fun fact. From the wiki for the album Deceptive Bends

The title of the album was taken from a sign warning of dangerous curves in the southbound A24 between Leatherhead and Dorking in Surrey. Gouldman said in 1977: “Every day I used to travel down from London and see the sign, ‘Deceptive Bends.’ It struck me to be quite a subtle word the Department of Transport was using, and Eric agreed it was a nice title.” The sign is no longer there.

I used to work just down the road from there. This is pretty much exactly where the sign used to be:

j

I think I’m realizing as I read the thread that after growing up listening exclusively to the radio through about 1979 or 80, I pretty much moved all my listening to cassettes/8-tracks in the car and vinyl (and eventually CDs) at home. So a lot of these songs are a little fresh for me still, and I still like them.

The 10cc song “I’m Not in Love” in particular still resonates with me, especially now that I know about the complicated, clever way they turned voice choruses into playable notes to fill out the song. Great stuff there.

I’m Not In Love is probably my least favorite 10CC song - not that I’m any kind of huge fan of the band or deeply into their discography, but I don’t have any particular distaste for their other oft-played hits, I just find INIL to be really tedious. Yet looking at the comments on its Youtube video, it’s remarkable how many people truly adore it. There are a lot of commenters describing it as “hypnotic” and I guess I can actually see how, at the time, it would have been perceived that way due to its use of various trippy sound effects which I take it were uncommon at the time. It makes sense that it would continue to resonate with those who heard it in their youth and found it alluring. Still, I find it pretty dreary and dull, and it goes on for far too long.

My friends, I give you Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep, by Middle of the Road. Warning: mental bleach required, and serious danger of a complete lapse into psychosis.

And the credits ran over the “performance”.
:laughing:

I also just noticed that in those credits, known serial sexual predator Jimmy Savile introduced the song.

You know, that’s actually pretty darn catchy.
Of course, I have no desire to listen to it a second time.

It’s catchy until you wake up in the middle of the night in a straight jacket, screaming for someone to please give you a needle full of rat poison.