Worst songs of the 70s

:astonished: Goddamn! Look at the size of that guy’s fucking head!

I, too, found this kind of cute. What’s wrong with me?

And I say to your Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep, How Do You Do. Note to the drummer: you have a whole set. No need to use just the bass drum.

And then there is always Meri Wilson’s “Telephone Man”. I’m biased because my dad worked for the telephone company, and my parents owned a copy and played it often. So, I think it has its charm, but I know its really bad.

ETA: oof, yeah, that’s a novelty song, isn’t it? I’ll let my crime stand as a warning to others.

When I was a little kid on a long road trip with my dad I heard this song on the radio and afterward became convinced I actually dreamt it because the radio would never play such an absurd song. When I told my dad about it later he explained that it was real and it indeed played on that trip.

It’s too bad that they’re identified by many in the U.S. for their dreary Top 40 hits* of the mid to late '70s.* They did some good stuff prior to that, including “Wall Street Shuffle” and my personal favorite, “Rubber Bullets”, which is about as far as you can get from “I’m Not In Love” (classic dubbed Top of the Pops rendition here, which unfortunately fades out before the screaming crescendo ending):

*I see that “People In Love”, another example of soft pop dreck, topped out at #40 in the U.S.,

OK boomers. Nothing screams "we’re old here’ more than knee jerk “disco sucks” attitudes.

Not sure if “Careless Whisper” is a 70s song. Probably isn’t. But sounds like one, and not in a good way.

You are hereby sentenced to 100 consecutive hours of the Hues Corporation’s “greatest hits”, starting with

So I’d like to know where, you got the notion
Said I’d like to know where, you got the notion
To rock the boat, don’t rock the boat baby
Rock the boat, don’t tip the boat over
Rock the boat, don’t rock the boat baby, rock the boat

Mid-80s. I remember it from high school.

Yeah, and my parents were exaggerating when they said they had it tough during the Great Depression.

You are very, very wrong.

Speaking of 10cc, here’s a muddled stew of wtf by spinoff group Godley & Creme.

Nothing “knee jerk” about it. I’ve considered the subject for 45 years, and I have come to the well-researched, well-thought out conclusion that disco not only sucked in the 70s, but still sucks.

But hey, get your white shirt and sanabelt slacks on and head on down to Studio 54.

Damn you! ::shakes fist::

“I’d Really Love To See You Tonight” has to be the best example of '70s AM radio soft-rock dreck that I can possibly think of, and the matching mullet-and-mustache combo the two singers are showing off on the cover art, plus the longing look the one on the right is giving the other one, just reeks of regrettable decisions.

That may have worked in our home towns and out boroughs but it took more than that to get in the door at '54 (which is part of the origin story for Chic’s “Le Freak”) :grin:

As we’ve seen here, there was plenty to be embarassed about in all the other styles. And for all that people may say, IMO MacArthur Park’s disco treatment at least was light fun. Richard Harris’ will be leaving people baffled forever.

If you ever want to demonstrate the difference between a groove and just repeating things, this is the perfect example for the negative side of the ledger :nauseated_face:

So you diss the four of us and get us all to answer. Well played!

Yeah, punks get old too. And mellow…

Was disco any worse than other pop music trends? Dance music is just fluffy; there is a lot more objectionable stuff out there, imo.

Well, not worse than rap IMO. But I think I lost that argument 40 years and 500 billion records ago. :slight_smile:

This old man has Stayin’ Alive in his itunes collection. Ha ha ha HA!