[QUOTE=ralph124c]
Anthropologists are puzzled over the diappearence of neanderthal man from europe. I guess the concensus is that Cro_magnon man wiped out the neanderthals. my question; would a modern neanderthal (dressed up in a $300o Armani suit), and suitable coiffed, look all that different from the rest of us?
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=solkoe]
Scientists have now sequenced small fragments of Neantherthal DNA from the thigh bone of fossil. Here is a link. It claims a 99.5% genetic similarity. How this compares with variations within our own genome, I don’t know.
[/QUOTE]
Today I saw a bit in the newspaper that normal human DNA is a lot more different between individuals than they thought.
[QUOTE=John Mace] Here is a really good reconstruction from the Yale Peabody Museum. If he were wearing a hat, you might not think him odd looking, but without a hat, that forehead just says something’s wrong with this guy.
[/QUOTE]
He looks just like a guy I used to work for - seriously.
[QUOTE=ralph124c]
Anthropologists are puzzled over the diappearence of neanderthal man from europe. I guess the concensus is that Cro_magnon man wiped out the neanderthals. my question; would a modern neanderthal (dressed up in a $300o Armani suit), and suitable coiffed, look all that different from the rest of us?
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=dropzone]
…in order to give the appearance of “otherness.”
[/QUOTE]
My thinking is exactly opposite. I think recent reconstructions go out of their way to give the appearance of “sameness” – by giving the Neanderthals the same skin tone and hair patterns as modern Europeans. That seems to be the fad these days.
There is no reason to believe that is accurate. For all we know, they were as hairy as Persian cats, and could no more be mistaken for a modern human than a mastadon could be mistaken for an African elephant.
Here’s an older image of Neanderthal man from 1965, before the current trend to “modernize” Neanderthals. I can’t see this guy walking down the street without drawing stares.
[QUOTE=spoke-]
Here’s an older image of Neanderthal man from 1965, before the current trend to “modernize” Neanderthals. I can’t see this guy walking down the street without drawing stares.
[/QUOTE]
You call it a “current trend to modernize”, I call it, “improved forensics and reconstruction science.” What used to be 90% “art” and 10% “science” is now t’other way 'round. (Yes, I made those numbers up.)
Also, our British chap up above was shorn and shaved in that shot only so the skull and musculature was visible.. If you watch the linked intro, it shows him all wildly hairy and he definitely looks more “other”. Or at least more Grizzly Adams.
I don’t think we have reason to think they’d be Persian cat hairy, simply because no other great ape is. We all have at least bare faces.
[QUOTE=spoke-]
There is no reason to believe that is accurate. For all we know, they were as hairy as Persian cats, and could no more be mistaken for a modern human than a mastadon could be mistaken for an African elephant.
Here’s an older image of Neanderthal man from 1965, before the current trend to “modernize” Neanderthals. I can’t see this guy walking down the street without drawing stares.
[/QUOTE]
Good points, although let’s specify that Neandertals presumably did not have pelts like bears or gorillas, but rather (if hirsute) looked like the guy at the beach who resembles the victim of a fraternity prank involving toupees. (You’ve all seen him or his counterpart – if he shaved his back, chest, and legs, you could stuff a throw pillow with the trimmings.
Also your pachyderm analogy is better than you think. The mastodons had low, sloping foreheads (though apparently as intelligent as other elephantoids); the mammoths as a rule had high domed skulls with pronounced foreheads, much like the African elephant. And it’s believed (I’m not sure on what evidence) that the more southerly-range species of mammoth, the Columbian, Imperial, etc., were not shaggy like the woolly and the mastodon, but had the same sort of thick skin sparsely haired that typical modern elephants have.
[QUOTE=WhyNot]
You call it a “current trend to modernize”, I call it, “improved forensics and reconstruction science.”
[/QUOTE]
Well, no. At least not as concerns skin tone and hairiness. “Better forensics” can’t tell us anything about those because skin and hair do not normally fossilize.
So I stand by my “current trend” comment. Current trends are to make Neanderthals look more modern, but there is nothing in the fossil record to support that.
Perhaps DNA analysis will one day help us answer some of these questions, but for the moment its just guesswork.
[QUOTE=Polycarp]
…let’s specify that Neandertals presumably did not have pelts like bears or gorillas…
[/QUOTE]
Why should we assume that? We’re closely related to chimps, and look how hairy they are. Why should we assume neanderthals would be less so? (Particularly given their north-trending climate range.)
In fact, if Neanderthals looked radically different from modern humans (for example much hairier), it would help explain the newest DNA evidence suggesting that there was no interbreeding going on between the two groups. Who would want to mate with an upright gorilla?
As I mentioned in the GD thread, that cannot be based on a Neanderthal skull. The cranium is about right, but the face is completely wrong. We know how to reconstruct noses based on the nasal cavity and the angle of the bone just above it, and Neanderthals didn’t have flat nose like that. Their mouths did not project out that far, either. I don’t know where that came from, but it looks like a deliberate attempt to make Neanderthals look ape-like.
We’re fairly certain they wore hides to protect against the cold, and they had fire as well. The more likely scenario is that were not hairy like a chimp, even if they might have had more hair than we do.
[QUOTE=spoke-]
In the reconstructions, there seems to be an assumption that Neanderthals had the same hair patterns as modern humans. That may or may not be a valid assumption. hair doesn’t normally fossilize. For all we really know, Neanderthals could have been covered with thick fur.
[/QUOTE]
I was also wondering about the apparent assumption that all neanderthals were white. Any credence to that?
It’s perfectly reasonable to give Neanderthal reconstructions sapiens-like hair and other superficial features. Given that our reconstruction techniques can’t actually determine those features presently, our best guess is to make them resemble their closest known relatives. Who, fortunately, we do have living specimens of. Yes, they’re reasonably closely related to chimps and gorillas, but then, so are we. And we’re significantly closer to each other than either of us is to the modern hairy apes.
[QUOTE=Brain Wreck]
I was also wondering about the apparent assumption that all neanderthals were white. Any credence to that?
[/QUOTE]
If you’re referring to it’s color, it’s not white. If you’re referring to its ethnicity, you’re anthropomorphizing.
[QUOTE=Brain Wreck]
I was also wondering about the apparent assumption that all neanderthals were white. Any credence to that?
[/QUOTE]
No, other than the thought that similar selective pressures would produce similar physical results. Also, Neanderthals and proto-Neanderthals lived in Europe for hundreds of thousands of years, unlike us who have lived there only about 1/10 as long. They most likely were much better adapted, physically, to that type of climate than we are.
[QUOTE=John Mace]
No, other than the thought that similar selective pressures would produce similar physical results. Also, Neanderthals and proto-Neanderthals lived in Europe for hundreds of thousands of years, unlike us who have lived there only about 1/10 as long. They most likely were much better adapted, physically, to that type of climate than we are.
[/QUOTE]
And, to complete that thought, those adaptations include things like light colored skin to let the sunshine in to make Vitamin D, protruding noses to warm the colder northern air and light colored eyes in areas with less light…or, to “anthropomorphize”, roughly Caucasian features.
[QUOTE=levdrakon]
If you’re referring to it’s color, it’s not white. If you’re referring to its ethnicity, you’re anthropomorphizing.
[/QUOTE]
In many artistic depicitions and reconstructions, the skin is quite obviously closer to a caucasian tone, and the soft tissue facial features look more caucasian than not. I have never seen any depiction of a caveman with curly African-type hair or Asian-style epicanthic eyelids. I don’t think I’m the one who is anthropomorphizing.