Would you attend a wedding on a major holiday?

It’s the wedding of a close friend, the venue is convenient to you, and all other things being equal, would you attend a wedding on a major holiday?

Whatever “major holiday” means to you, be it Christmas, New Year’s Eve, Thanksgiving, Halloween, Yom Kippur, Groundhog Day, your birthday, whatever.

Are there specific holidays you would NOT attend a wedding, if for others you would?

Poll possibly in the works.

There are two days of summer festival in my home town that are totally non-negotiable. Everything else can be, and probably has been skipped in favor of personal invitations.

Sure, I got no plans.

If it’s on Christmas, no. That time is reserved for my family, whom I only get to see as a group during Christmas. If it’s “Christmas adjacent”, maybe. If it’s Thanksgiving, they better be serving a Thanksgiving dinner (and it had better be good). I’m fine with all the other holidays.

I’ve worked/been away for most things that people consider major holidays. Christmas may in fact be the only one in the year that hasn’t had that conflict. I don’t put a lot of personal value on holidays in and of themselves. They’d have a hard time trumping family for the holidays with family celebrations attached. It’s not the holiday itself but who gets priority for my time on that specific day.

My brother got married on December 25th. Why not, everyone had the day off from work? And why should only Christians get to celebrate something on that day?

All things are up for consideration.

I clicked everything except the last. I actually prefer weddings on National holidays since it gives me the time off built in and allows me to hit a few amusement parks going to and from most times.

It would depend on how close I am to the couple, but generally the answer is yes to any of them except for the Christmas dates, since my anniversary is the day after Christmas, and we’re generally traveling. If it’s a small wedding on Christmas Eve or Day and it’s convenient to where we are, I’d still likely do it. But if it’s going to be a day-long ordeal, probably not.

I was thinking in terms of the poor folks working the reception venues on holidays - I think it would stink to have to work on Christmas because some couple insisted on getting married that day. Same goes for Thanksgiving, Memorial, Independence, and Labor Days, plus the associated Eves. However, I had no problem with Columbus Day, Halloween, or Veterans Day - those aren’t generally big-deal family days - nor would Presidents Day or MLK Day or Valentine’s Day or St. Patrick’s Day cause me any issues.

Not that it’s a real concern, since I’ve only been invited to one friend’s wedding, and most of my family is married already, so I don’t anticipate any dilemmas any time soon.

I’m Jewish, so Christmas means nothing to me. I have never attended a wedding on Christmas, but I have attended a Bar Mitzvah service on Christmas, and that day did happen to be the young man’s 13th birthday. I also attended one on Christmas eve, and a bris on either Christmas eve or day, I don’t remember which. I would be perfectly happy to attend a wedding on Christmas, but most people don’t schedule weddings for the middle of winter.

Since most of the weddings I’ve been to have been Jewish weddings, I’ve not been asked to one on Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur, but I wouldn’t go. I wouldn’t go on Simchat Torah, or a number of other Jewish holidays either, if it was a gentile wedding. If it was a Jewish wedding taking advantage of the holiday to marry, like Lag B’Omer, which is supposedly a good day for weddings, then I’d love to go (and have).

My brother scheduled his wedding for three days before my son’s first birthday, which seemed a little thoughtless to me at first, but it turned out he didn’t mind sharing the spotlight a little, and so we booked the private room of a neat little restaurant my brother found, and had the party there, and did it while all my family who came into town for the wedding was still there.

It kinda left my husband’s family out in the cold, so what we did for them was invite them to the party (they lived nearby at the time) that we had with the kids from our son’s preschool, on our son’s Jewish birthday (it was a Jewish preschool), and then took them out to a nice lunch.

ETA: we tend to use Jewish (kosher) caterers, who hire people who are either Jewish, or know in advance that they will be working a Jewish schedule. If they are dead-set against working Christmas, they need to work for a gentile caterer.

Christmas and Easter no, but any other day.

Two very good friends of mine got married 12 or so years ago on Halloween. In a cemetery. With a hearse as their vehicle. In costume. I performed the ceremony, which would not have worked any other day of the year.

My parents got married on New Year’s Eve and a couple of friends got married on the 4th of July (I didn’t know them at the time) (my parents, either) so I have no problems with holiday weddings.

Weddings only happen once ever per couple (fingers crossed) and holidays happen every year, so I don’t mind missing them. I might not go to a distant friend’s wedding out of town for Christmas (I have gone to a distant friend’s wedding out of town before!) but if someone close to me was getting married on Christmas or Thanksgiving, I’m in.

It would have to be a VERY close friend or relative’s weddingy, and there’d have to be a VERY good reason the wedding was being performed on that particular day.

I would be miffed by a wedding on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, or Christmas Day. Pretty much everything else is up for grabs.

I got married on Independence Day. It was a picnic wedding, and over long before fireworks. Almost none of the invitees declined.

Everything except Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I’d think it would be weird if it was on Thanksgiving, Easter, etc., but I’d still go - they just might not get as many guests.

I’m not a fan of holidays and would be happy to attend a wedding on any of them.

Not xmas or xmas eve, thats a family thing. But hell, we attended a wedding on our own tenth anniversary, so we clearly aren’t too fussy.

I work retail. This means that I often DON’T get time off when “everyone” else does, and my willingness to burn the good will of my co-workers, plus limited vacation time and travel during my retail busy season is limited.

That said, I don’t think there are any holidays I’d refuse to attend a wedding on for ideological reasons.