Would you be uncomfortable sharing meat space with troglodyte homophobes?

The original thread was started by a self-proclaimed homophobe who suggested gays have segregated dressing rooms just because they make him uncomfortable.

You, on the other hand, seem normal enough, except that you seem to have mistaken a mediocre bathhouse for a gym.

What you are describing sounds like sexual harassment, which is problematic regardless of one’s sexuality. But you of course must know that all gay men do not behave this way, so it would be silly to generalize about them based on this experience.

For the record, I’m totally cool with judging anyone who is an admitted homophobe that does nothing about it.

Chilliwack:

So you now go to a different gym, but only (apparently) because you work in a different office and the new gym is more convenient. Nevertheless, you have voted with your dollars and decided not to patronize the previous establishment (how long did that take? I would not have come back after the first incident if things indeed happened as you described - color me dubious).

You did not, however, take Esco’s tack and expect that gym to provide homo-free* facilities for you. For that I congratulate you.

As far as I’m concerned, Esco is entitled to his feelings; they say a great deal about him. But I do get a little exercised based on his supposed solutions - segregation, or else a special accommodation for him and others of his ilk. To that I say, well, it’s a nice day, so I’ll just say fooey.
Roddy

*using his term. Did it seem offensive to you?

Sexual harassment is sexual harassment, and I would have reported it to the management after the first incident.

I’d like to know just how creepy homophobes can be, considering it’s them (and ordinary males) who usually get creeped out by groping gays in the bus.

Well then they should not be groping gays if it creeps them out. If they groped gays on the subway would they feel it was less creepy? (But then all the gays might complain about being groped by homophobes on all public transportation.)

Confusion on the use of a verb or deliberate sidestep?

I am never confused about word use, unless the speaker (or writer) is being deliberately obfuscationistic.

That being said, I feel that many public displays of affection are tacky, whatever the genders of the participants. A hetero couple making out on the bus is just as uncomfortable to view as a same-sex couple.

Unless it is my Wife and I, because an old married couple fooling around is freaking adorable.

I see. To correct my first post, a lot of gays annoy men (and young boys) in ways both creepy and tacky. From the direct solicitations inside the men’s room (it is the MEN’s room.) To groping in buses and movie houses BY gays.

Now, just what do these troglodyte homo-whats do that could make a gay choose to take the taxi?

Regarding your aside on PDA, yes heterosexual PDA is tacky and only idiots will explore alternative forms.

An unwanted solicitation in the Men’s Room is not “creepy.” It is sexual harassment and should be reported to the authorities as soon as possible. Your congressman will thank you for the publicity. Really.
You really need to start hanging out with the gay guys at art galleries, bars, baseball games, Costco, or wherever it is that single people meet nowadays instead of the ones looking for random hook-ups in the rest rooms.

But in a mens room, you might feel trapped - as if you have no choice but to submit to whatever perversions are demanded of you. :eek:

This is a cross-cultural misunderstanding. Here, let me explain:

DrFidelius, many Westerners do not realize this, but in 1973, Metro Manila was forced through budget cuts to relinquish control over the ownership and operations of their entire fleet of commuter buses. After a tense private auction, over 80% of their bus lines were turned over to Espuma del Ano, an Ibiza-based contractor specializing in homosexual foam party tours. The buses were repainted, sequined and fitted with state-of-the-art audio systems, and by 1975, public commuters in the largest city in the Philippines had no access to affordable transportation besides this sordid assemblage of mobile gay discos. Well, and light rail, I guess. Anyway, I hear it’s been rough.

They have a great happy hour cocktail special, though. Try the lime rickeys!

Oh, I understand. I apologize for my unforgivable USAnian bias. I tend to have the unsupported belief that conditions in other parts of the world are the same as here.

I definitely wouldn’t want to be anywhere near a troglodyte. I mean, it’s a chaotic evil reptilian humanoid that emits a 30-ft. radius aura of stench!

No mention in the rulebook if they’re homophobes, though. :slight_smile:

::standing ovation::

Yes I googled “Espuma del Ano.” No it wasn’t as interesting as I had pruriently hoped. Unless you like yearly foam parties. But not that kind of foam.

To correct you, the Philippines in 1973 was barely a year into martial law. A military-ruled regime is, understandably, a somewhat macho environment with micro-laws enforced. These laws may appear trivial but nonetheless annoying to many. It includes men (regardless of degree) being required to sport short hair and no facial make-up. Skirts and other revealing clothes were not allowed. Women were “discouraged” from wearing pants.

Oh yes, displaying one’s self in public with the likely purpose of soliciting certain comforts was also banned. Others, like littering, jaywalking, having tinted glass in one’s car, people accepted more easily.

So no, the Philippines in the 70s was definitely not a USAnian’s fantasyland.

Anyone who doubts colander should Google “jeepney”. This should provide (safe for work) evidence that the Philippines do in fact have some of the world’s most flamboyant public transportation.

I assure you, jeepney owners are real men who festoon their chariots with ribbons and curliques on purpose. They commission sign painters to paint various motifs on the side of their vehicles, generally mainstream themes such as celebration of female beauty and masculine virtues (strength, valor, all that tacky stuff.) Men and women do need eye-catchers. I mean, exactly how does one choose between 10 jeepneys vying for your patronage?

But dressing one’s self into a bird of paradise, that’s a different story. More of an American habit than Filipino.

I’m confused. If they’re so manly and courageous, then why don’t you just ask them to tell off all those trolley gays who won’t quit goosing you?

Come over here and show me where because I honestly don’t know what you’re talking about.