Would you be uncomfortable sharing meat space with troglodyte homophobes?

from der Wiki:

Dish of the Day [edit]The quadruped Dish of the Day is an Ameglian Major Cow, a ruminant specifically bred to not only have the desire to be eaten, but to be capable of saying so quite clearly and distinctly. When asked if he would like to see the Dish of the Day, Zaphod replies, “We’ll meet the meat.” The Major Cow’s quite vocal and emphatic desire to be consumed by Milliways’ patrons is the most revolting thing that Arthur Dent has ever heard, and the Dish is nonplussed by a queasy Arthur’s subsequent order of a green salad, since it knows “many vegetables that are very clear” on the point of not wanting to be eaten — which was part of the reason for the creation of the Ameglian Major Cow in the first place. After Zaphod orders four rare steaks, the Dish announces that it is nipping off to the kitchen to shoot itself. Though it states, “I’ll be very humane,” this does not comfort Arthur at all.

Several years later, the principal characters encounter a herd of Ameglian Major Cows on the planet Nano, a colony planet established for exceedingly rich refugees from the destroyed Earth. Ford and Arthur (who is now far more open-minded after years spent traversing the galaxy) seriously consider the Cows’ offering themselves as a meal, only to be interrupted by the arrival of the Norse thunder god Thor and his subsequent duel with Bowerick Wowbagger. However, the lightning display accompanying Thor’s arrival kills and chars several Major Cows (while their still-living herdmates curse their fellows’ luck), and Ford and Arthur take the opportunity to sample the cooked meat. Later, a Major Cow is shown offering itself to Thor at the thunder god’s victory party.

Appears in:

the novel The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

What I love is that most of the guys I’ve known who took that viewpoint were about as sizzling hot as Michael Moore; they had NOTHING to worry about as I’m going to really go the extra mile not to see them in any stage of undress.

That said, in various theatrical productions I’ve shared dressing rooms with guys who looked like Greek gods, and while I won’t like about taking a corner of the eye peek, I don’t think they minded much. Even if they’re straight, most men don’t spend that much time at the gym and getting metrosexually groomed because they want to be ignored. So long as the no obvious drooling or touching (unless putting twenties in the designated armband) rule is followed I don’t think most mind.

Gots to get me an arm band!

I could tell Esco was either trolling or hopeless when, in his OP, he stated that he was “homophobic” like someone else would state they have “brown hair” – i.e. 'I yam what I yam" indifference.

What a dick.

My name’s Esco, and I’m afraid of men who have sex with other men.

I’m not a troglodyte homophobe, but I do have some friends who are. I may have experimented a little with troglodyte homophobia in college, but who doesn’t?

That little douche nozzle needs to post over here…

I haven’t ploughed through the whole thread and I doubt I will. As such I expect that pretty much everything I say has already been said; but hey kittens are cute right?

In Junior high and High School was best friend was FLAMING fucking gay. I hung out with lots of gay folks - never in a shower room. Got hit on lots but the only time it bugged me was when,“Sorry man, I’m straight.” didn’t work.

Sharing a bus with any variety of queer doesn’t bug me at all - unless they are loud, flamboyant and obnoxious. But that qualification goes for anyone.

Basically it works out to, “Regardless of race, gender, orientation, ethnicity or planet of origin; so long as you don’t irritate or intrude on me and we’re cool.”

The only way it would bug me to change / shower with a gay man is if a) I found myself attracted (and it’s happened) or b) He’s staring at me sporting a pole you could hang a lead flag on. <— this has not happened.

I would not, however, feel comfortable showering with a female I was not currently or about to be intimate with. The reasons being that I’d be afraid she was measuring me up and judging me. Not that I’d be thinking “she looking 'cause she wants to jump me” but more like, “What is she thinking? Does she think I’d be inadequate?” It would be my own insecurity that caused the discomfort.

Zeke

So you care if a woman judges you sexually inferior, but not if a man does? That’s blatant sexism and you’re worse than Hitler’s valet.

And, yes, kittens are totally awesome.

No…well yes as a matter of fact.

I’ve no interest in men so if a guy thinks to himself, “Damn, he’s well hung for small rodents.” It doesn’t matter because I’ve no interest in fucking him so his opinion doesn’t matter. Whether he finds me arousing or comical doesn’t matter.

A woman on the other hand there is always that underlying sense of “what is she going to say to her friends, daughter, grand-daughter etc.”

I’m not currently in the dating pool being as how I’ve been married close to a decade. But I am still a sexual being and since women interest me I’m always a bit insecure when they see me clothed, let alone naked.

Zeke

P.S. This is not an invitation for either gay men or critical women to ogle my naked lacklusterness

P.P.S. How dare you attack my cred on feminism! I have a super tight “Rosy The Riveter” tee-shirt that says, “A Woman’s place is in her Union” Which I wear proudly :stuck_out_tongue:

Women don’t talk to their granddaughters about some dude’s dick they managed to spot.

Just, you know, to put your mind at ease.

Great response to a not so serious post.

eta: re: Zeke

I’ve got nothing against troglodyte homophobes per se, but what if one of them thinks that I’m so good looking he just can’t keep his hands off me? Or what if it rubs off or something and turns me to teh troglodyte homophobe?

No humor here, just guilt. I’m ashamed to admit it, but I was a troglodyte homophobe when I was younger.

I wasn’t strong enough to stand apart from the culture I inhabited and say,“This is wrong”.

For failing a broad swath of fellow human beings and letting the history of harassment, intimidation, discrimination and assault flourish in our society, I’m sorry.

Impossible! If you’d go peruse the writings of our learned friend in the other thread, you’d quickly understand that this isn’t something you can change. It’s a trait, like “having brown hair!” You should embrace your inner troglodyte, not repress it, and start demanding a homosexual-free environment!

So when is the troglodyte pride parade?

All I know is it’s a damn good thing GEICO stopped running those caveman commercials 'cause otherwise . . . awkward.

How to talk to homophobes at parties:

Hey, that Pat Robertson is a hell of a preacher!
I’m sure I can get you some orange juice. Any OJ around here?

I don’t want to be around homophobes because they’re always testing you against their limited definition of manliness. They’d look at my drink or my hat or listen to my topic of conversation, decide “Ha! Gayyyyy!,” and start giving me shit.

Seriously?

God Damn It! Why else would I volunteer at a fucking retirement community?! :wink:

I was a little surprised at the behaviour exhibited by all of those who piled on in the original thread. While it’s not a popular opinion in this day and age, it is still his opinion. Intelligent people are usually able to disagree with an opinion without judging the person holding it.

I happen to share his opinion, and I’ll explain why.

First, let me get my “but I have a black friend” caveats out there. I had a childhood friend come out in our final year of high school, who I stuck up for many times growing up. An ex-girlfriend came out recently, and I couldn’t be happier for her and her girlfriend. There are also a number of FOAFs who are gay, whose company enhances the group dynamic. Homophobic? Not by a long shot.

Now, I used to work at an office located next to the gym near my city’s LGBT community, where I would work out at lunch five days per week. Here are some of the things that I was exposed to in the locker room:

-men who were naked and socializing when I got there, and still naked and socializing when I got back - these men would pause their conversations and leer as I walked by
-men shaving their pubes in the shower (not necessarily gay men, couldn’t tell)
-men who would use the shower head right beside me in an otherwise empty shower room (12+ showers), and face me the whole time, sometimes sporting an erection - I would usually say “Really?”, shut off my shower, and go use another one
-men having sex in the sauna that you had to walk by to use the shower (I never saw any up close penetration, but there were the telltale motions out of the corner of my eye)

Now, am I unreasonable to have felt uncomfortable using that locker room?

I thought about complaining to the staff, but there were a few reasons I didn’t:

1. I was worried about being accused of be homophobic/not PC/a bigot, and didn’t need the drama.
  2. I would’ve had to wait until the offender(s) came out of the locker room to point them out to staff, and I had to get back to work.
  3. It would’ve been my word against theirs.
  4. Half of the front desk staff were gay, and may not have been receptive to such complaints (see 1).

I currently work out in a different gym (near my new office), where no such behaviour takes place, and I am not uncomfortable in the least.

I would have, though, appreciated a separate change room at the old gym, so that I could have changed in peace, and not be leered at, have my personal space invaded by the tip of another man’s erect penis,or be exposed to people having sex.

I’m ready for it now. How bad of a person am I?