Would you call a prince, prince?

The U.S. State Department’s head of protocol got in trouble in the mid-'70s for curtsying to Prince Charles. We were supposed to get away from all that after 1776, after all. Nevertheless, I think you ought to address titled foreigners as they expect to be addressed; it’s only polite. Similarly, they ought to address our head of state (much as I hate to admit it, given the incumbent) as “Mr. President.”

Or you could do what Jim Thorpe did. When the King of Sweden presented him with an Olympic medal and praised him as a great athlete, he said simply, “Thanks, King.”

And, in fact, this is very close to how they met. My wife and a female friend of hers arrived at a party and a mutual friend introduced them to “Al”, whom they didn’t recognize. Being hot, nubile college girls who were used to getting guys to do their bidding, they promptly ordered “Al” to fetch drinks for them, which, to his credit, he did quite cheerfully.

Pretty much. Wouldn’t blame them at all even if I liked the fella. Why are you going on about that? Heads of state of course, should address each other properly.

Again, difference between hanging out at a bar with the guy and meeting him/her in a formal/business situation. No way would my old-fashioned Western upbringing allow me to be rude for no reason, besides - “Sir” and “Ma’am” are my default methods of address.
“Prince” is a title - “Highness” and “Majesty” are loaded words implying that the person being addressed is, in fact, a better person. Those are the ones I’d choke on.

I realize that I may have changed my stance several times in this thread, but it’s fairly easy to say I’d act one way but on further review I probably wouldn’t.

“Queen of Canada”, for some reason that always cracks me up.

Right on. I remember the Miss Manners articles you’re thinking of, and they mostly had to do with whether Americans should bow or curtsy. We don’t show obeisance to royalty, so no bowing or curtseying. Unless it’s simply a sign of mutual respect & politeness, like bowing slightly while greeting someone from Japan.

But the OP isn’t asking about bowing. How to address a Prince on American soil? It would help to know specifically which country this prince is from.

Generally, Americans treat foreign VIPs with the same respect we show our own. Personal politics aside, you probably should address the president as “Madam President” until she says “oh, call me Hillary.”

Now with a Prince, it seems to me we’re talking about the son of a foreign leader, so you’d show them the same respect you’d show the son of POTUS. Sorta.

As Americans, we’re all considered to be of an equal class as the aristocracy and gentry of countries which have a class/royalty system. So, if you know how someone from that class would address the prince, that’s what you’d use. If it’s “Your Highness” it would be good manners to use that. I’d expect if this prince had any class & good breeding, he’d appreciate the respect you’ve just shown him and respecting you as an American, would immediately say “please, call me Fred.”

I’d suggest that it also depends on whether the prince is there in an official capacity or a personal one. If the former, then you’re insulting the nation if you insult the man.

BTW I’ve met Prince Philip once. He didn’t insult me; I was gutted. :smiley:

It might be stupid, but royalty that exerts litle power over the people they presumably reigh, like the English royal family , I would do whatever the respectful thing to do is. If they are royalty, as well ruling the country, like the Suadi Royal Family, I might think differently.

That was actually intended for Dob, who seems to have lost sight of the fact that heads of state represent their country, whether he agrees with how they attained that position or not (he already stated that he felt that the President was owed the courtesy of being addressed as “Mr. President”, even by non-Americans) . Also, I think his insistence that the attainment of elected office is based on some sort of meritocracy is cute.

I don’t understand why the President is entitled to be addressed by his proper title, but, say, the Queen isn’t. They’re both jobs. One is elected and the other’s inherited, but a job’s a job, and I would point out that lots of elected officials are greater jackasses than many members of royal families.

Addressing Prince William as “Your Highness” or the Queen as “Your Majesty” is a form of words no different than calling the President “Mr. President,” or for that matter calling a doctor “Doctor” or some such thing. If you expect foreigners to call the President by his title, return the goddamned courtesy.

I mean, it’s a free country, so if you want to be a jackass, by all means have your fill, but don’t pretend you’re striking a blow for liberty.

Oh, sorry. I’ll shut up now… No, really, I know when I need to stop. Don’t have to tell me twice. I just look around an know that I’m rambling on again and I’ll stop.

Just like that - I’m done.
Really, don’t worry about me saying the same thing over and over even if no one cares. Nope. I know when I’ve said enough

Because, you see…

I was born into being a Ms. I prefer to be a Ms., but don’t mind being addressed as Mrs. or Miss - understandable oversight if you don’t know me and make assumptions. But, despite earning the title of Ms. merely by an accident of birth, I would be offended to be addressed as Mr.

Not necessarily. Princes can also be heads of state in their own right- see Monaco, for example.

I think, if it were a dude, I’d address him with a grunt, some dap, and perhaps a chest bump.

If it were a babe, then I’d have to…do…something that would make her fall madly in love with me and give me a fun title as long as all the resources that a dude can get from such a lofty position.

Just…need to figure out exactly what…that thing to do is…hm…

I’m unlikely to bump into him on Hollywood boulevard, and more likely to be introduced to him in an environment which would include lots of protocol droids.

I appreciate your nit-pick though, because I’m really not much up on who’s who in the royalty biz worldwide these days. How is it he’s a prince and a head of state?

Because some monarchiest are principalities, some are duchies (ruled by dukes) or grand duchies, etc. Monaco just happens to be a principality. Luxembourg is a grand duchy. I guess if Monaco really WANTED to be a kingdom, they could change it, but why bother?

Why? That’s her official title up here, as set out by the Royal Styles and Titles Act (Canada):

When she acts as Queen here, it’s as Queen of Canada, not Queen of the United Kingdom or any of her other realsm or territories.

Just so’s everyone knows, the formal way for a non-American to introduce an American President (or Ambassador) would be to say, “His Excellency, the President of the United States,” and in addressing him, one would be polite to call him “Your Excellency.”

So there ya go.

I’m fairly sure that a Canadian wouldn’t understand, but it kind of strikes me as being like a 35 year old man living in his moms’ basement. Cut the cord, guys!

Yeah, yeah, I just offended our beloved neighbors to the north, and probably several of our dearest friends in the international community…
Really, I don’t want to hear it explained again. Seriously, I’ve heard it before - it’s all about cooperation, the glory of the Commonwealth, yadda yadda.
It’s not my country, I don’t care who they put on their money. They can and do make fun of my government, so I can laugh at them having a queen.

Can’t even come up with their own royalty, they gotta borrow from the Brits <snicker>.

Dude, you’re not offending me. You’re really embarrassing me as an American who likes his Canadian buds. You’re also embarrassing Colorado. Is everyone there like you? Don’t you have like, schools & stuff or do you all sit around listening to New Age music and drinking distilled water all day and waiting for ski season to open up?

Well as a fervent anti royalist if I met ‘ol jug ears I may say something along the lines of "Hi Chuck hows it hangin’ mate, still wanna be a tampon and how is that 'orse faced bint of yours these days?"

I said I MAY say it but being a born coward I’d prolly grovel, tug my forelock and call him boss man #2

Except that his name was actually Karol, of course. :slight_smile: