Would you call a prince, prince?

I was in Saigon recently at the Park Hyatt for a team offsite. Prince Andrew was there at the same time. I asked my manager, who is English and descendant from nobility what I should call him.

Answer was “Randy” :smiley:

I didn’t actually see Andrew, although walked by the lunch room where he obviously was given the single bodyguard outside.

I called Princess Diana’s aunt “honey.” (We’re a folksy bunch in this area.) She had come into the museum where I work to do some geneaology research because one of her ancestors lived in this area. I had no idea who she was, obviously.

When she finished up in the library, she came over to the gift shop. I was closing up, and she apologized for taking so long but wanted to know if she could still shop. “Sure, hon, no problem,” I said breezily. She bought a couple of books and I gave back her change with a cheerful, “Thanks, honey. Ya’ll have a nice day. Hey, we’re having a historical speaker come in tonight. It’s free admission, if you’d like to come.”

Afterwards, when I found out who she was, I felt a little embarassed at my American “cheekiness” but she took it in stride and was very nice. She even came to the speech that evening.

If it’s a formal business setting and I’m getting paid, then I’ll sometimes use whatever formal labels that have been deemed correct by someone. For instance I recently introduced a visiting speaker as “Professor [lastname]” to the audience of a talk that he was giving. Usually it’s just [firstname] [lastname]. I address letters that way (with a “Dear”) or “Dear Friend(s)” and introduce myself and others that way. If I feel that some person’s job is relevant then I’ll mention it after their name. eg. “This is John Johnson, he’s the administrative assistant here.”

I’ve never met George Bush, but I don’t see myself addressing him as anything but that unless I decided for some reason to consciously make an effort to do otherwise.
I don’t remember the queen’s name so I’d probably just avoid calling her anything.
People without names (ie I don’t know them or I forgot their names ) are “sir” and “ma’am”, whether it’s the guy buffing my shoes or some prince (not that I’ve met one).

So far this has worked out ok for me. I don’t really give it much thought.

Dude, if I get a snicker out of sovereign nation continuing to place the queen of a second sovereign nation on their money, how does that reflect on anyone but myself? C’mon “dude”, a CALIFORNIAN is making cracks about New Age music and foo-foo water? Go surfin’ and chill out, dude.
Really dude, I implied that I’m acquainted with the Commonwealth and the functioning of this august body, which I am embarrassed to admit is not taught in our “schools & stuff”, and you gotta be all hatin’ like that.
Levdrakon, I think you need to cut down on how many “Canadian buds” you be smoking, pull your head out, buy a sense of humor (or at least tolerance, which seems to be in short supply out your way), and stop reflecting so poorly on California.

Now if an Australian or Canadian was to call me to task for my comments, that’d be different, but a Californian? Go back to your million dollar condo and have some tofu.

Seriously dude, I meant that as a light-hearted jab, as I have no problem with the nonstop flow of hate coming down about our screwed up government,
but since you can’t understand something like that, here, have some of this link or here , because it seems like they’re a little more laid back than uptight Californians. Check this out

That’s obviously not an uptight Californian right there, dude. And after being surrounded by thousands of people that managed to flee your state, I sure as hell would rather be neighbors with a Canadian.

So there.

I got a laugh out of your post, so I think my sense of humor’s still okay. :slight_smile:

It’s all good.

Well, in that case - Come skiing this winter (if global warming doesn’t kick in) and I’ll buy you some distilled water (AKA “Coors Light”) and we’ll listen to… well, I don’t know any new age music, Bob Seger “Get out of Denver”? And we can make fun of each others governers.

No, I couldn’t do that to anyone on this board. How about some fine Left Hand brew instead?

Unless you are a waitress…

Sorry Randy Andy, but Albert “isn’t he a homosexual?” has got you beaten, hands down! :wink:

At a cocktail party, some years ago, actor Ernest Thesiger introduced himself thus:

“Hi! My name’s Ernest, I’m an actor.”

He received the equable reply:

“Hi! My name’s George, I’m a King.”

:smiley:

I think Mr. George Thorogood would have some insight here, since kings and queens step aside when he walks down the street. I’ve always wondered where he is that there are all these kings and queens walking around. Beverly Hills, perhaps?

I met a prince exactly once in my life at an informal party. It wasn’t a situation which called for “Your Royal Highness” or “Sir”. As far as I know you don’t ever call a prince, “Prince”. Anyhow, he was introduced not by his title but by his name, which unfortunately sounded a lot like “Heinie Toilet Paper”. He was nice enough, but we got a lot of mileage out of what we called him in secret.

Heh. I’ve got to know where this guy was from :slight_smile:

I know. Isn’t that just the most awful? Anyhow, I’m pretty sure I remember this guy was from Samoa. I looked up some info for you on Wikepedia which I really don’t like but in this case seemed accurate. Check out the name of the President and you may see how the Prince’s name (which was different but of the basic vowel/consonant construction) could sound like we though it did.

Here’s the Wikipedia info:

Samoa is often disputably described as a monarchy. The president-for-life, or “o le Ao o le Malo” is Malietoa Tanumafili II, a member of one of the three princely families. The Constitution designates him Head of State for life with a royal style, but he will be succeeded by an elected president.