Would you exchange your passport for one from another country?

Am I the one that’s supposed to move it? Because I don’t know how.

That makes the Netherlands ideal for me! I’ve got a bigger hill on my farm than I saw during my 10 days in the oude natie. And I’m tired of climbing my hill.

I already moved it.

Unless it’s an American passport, right?

I’d like to have an EU passport. I’d probably be willing to exchange my Canadian passport for let’s say a French one, or one from some other EU country, but I’d also need to be able to find a job over there.

The highest mountain of the Netherlands is 322 meters high. That’s about the height I have to climb when I do the 15 minutes walk from the train station to my home in my little village. It isn’t called the Netherlands for nothing.

Ha Ha Ha! That’s hilarious. Trade for a US one? Hubs won’t even transit through the US when we fly to Asia. Even if it’s cheaper, and the man loves a bargain.

(I actually could get a British passport, as my Dad was born there. But, nah, it’s not tempting, even a little.)

Ok I’m embarrassed…

Sure. I’d trade for Canada, Australia, or a fair number of EU countries.

Never. While I have enjoyed my times living abroad and expect to do it again, my US passport, and citizenship, is too valuable to me.

I think most people wouldn’t trade their passport for another country, unless they happened to live in a country that really limits your travel possibilities, like North Korea.

The difference in the number of countries you can visit without a visa doesn’t really matter unless you often drop what you are doing and fly off to Peoples Republic of Slobbovia for a quick weekend. Visas, in my experience, are pretty painless to get, it’s just that they are not a same day thing.

Unless you look Japanese AND speak Japanese you won’t be treated the same as a Japanese. There is no point in getting a Japanese passport for most westerners. It would be really frustrating to have Japanese citizenship and yet be treated like a foreigner every single day.

In a heartbeat. My South African citizenship is not a big deal to me, and getting a passport that did away with all our visa restrictions would be great. Not all visas are “painless” to get when you come from an African country.

If I was able to exchange, it would be for some place like New Zealand, Canada or a big Schengen country like Germany or France.

How often are those you’re interacting with even aware that you hold a US passport or that your sister holds a Canadian passport? Certainly when you enter the country and perhaps when you check into a hotel (don’t they ask to see your passport?). But most of the people who are treating your sister well don’t know that. I doubt they can even tell someone is Canadian but instead just assume they’re American.

Are you allowed to go to Iceland and ask for a passport, if you’re not an Icelander?

There are a small number of refugees from Syria and other countries who have settled in Iceland.

There are times when I’ve made a small effort to “pass” as Canadian when traveling internationally. I’d trade for Canadian citizenship if i could. (I’m too old, they don’t want me.) I’d consider trading for German, Netherlands, Danish, Irish, Icelandic, probably other EU nations, Australia, New Zealand. But I’m really bad at learning languages. If i could learn, for example, Portuguese i might like to live there, but i don’t think i could do that.

I don’t foresee being able to afford to travel for pleasure much anytime soon so it doesn’t much matter.

Now? Not unless I can somehow keep my job here in the US with a foreign passport, which seems unlikely. In my twenties I would definitely have swapped for any EU country in a heartbeat, and probably Australia / NZ / Canada as well. I might be willing to make that trade again after I retire, but right now it’s not worth it.

It’s relevant to my answer that i am close to retiring.