Would you exchange your passport for one from another country?

I have a US passport. I can’t think of another one I’d trade it for, except maybe Iceland.

I live in the US, so I’m not sure I understand the question. I can go most places with my US passport (not Cuba I guess). Passports from many other countries would work just as well, if I lived there. I’d be happy with passports for Canada, Mexico, UK, France, German, Denmark, Sweden, The Netherlands, for example. Iceland too, that’s a good one.

I’d rather not have a passport from current day Russia, North Korea, China, or Saudi Arabia, to name a few on the “no” list.

There are lists kept of which passports are most “powerful”, meaning they allow travel to countries without a visa. By that measure, a Japanese passport, with 191 visa-free countries, is ranked number one.

I’m a Canadian.

Never.

Not ever!

With 189 countries, my German passport is almost just as worthy, so I wouldn’t want to exchange it for an American passport.

Let’s move this over to IMHO from GQ.

O Canada! Our home and * mumble * land…

The point about the number of countries you can visit without a visa is interesting trivia but how meaningful is it?

The most important thing is where do you want to live and can you obtain a residency visa if you don’t have a passport or would having a passport allow you to live there. I know many people who would love to have green cards and may jump at the chance to option citizenship so they could live in the States.

If someone is an American, and exchange is their passport for a Japanese one then there may be a few countries they could visit without having to obtain a visa, but then it would be a much greater hassle to live in the states.

I’d gladly be Canadian or Norwegian. US citizenship is pretty loathsome these days.

It’s only meaningful as a valid reason for preferring one passport over another.

Except I don’t believe the issue “how conveniently can you visit the most other nations” was the point of the OP question. ISTM that asking the question the way he/she did was only another way of asking: “Would you opt to be a citizen of a different country than yours?”

And while there are pros/cons of holding various passports surely the rights and responsibilities of citizenship are more interesting than whether you have to bother with a visa or not if you visit Botswana.

E.g.: I’d happily hold a European passport instead of an American one. But that’s because I’d like to be free to live somewhere with civilized healthcare, politics, and society. It’s not because a EU passport would let me legally visit Cuba.

I’ve collected the documents necessary to prove my grandfather was Scottish, just in case Scotland becomes independent and re-joins the EU (though it may never happen, or not in my lifetime).

And this is why I’m not giving up my U.S. passport, even though the taxes are annoying. I want to have the option to move back without having to go through hoops.

So, no. I would not exchange my passport

Which country is that? Many European countries have similar issues with politics. And if you live in some countries, you might get healthcare, but you’ll be paying a whole lot more for taxes. Switzerland’s taxes are lower, but health care is not included, and the cost of living is migher than most places in the U.S.

[quote=“I_Love_Me_Vol.I, post:11, topic:938262”]

Certainly the OP is free to come back and clarify. Or they could have been clear in the first place.

Exchange mine for another? No thanks. But if I could have a second one, I’d love one from the Netherlands. My grandmother was born there, I still have kin there I keep in touch with at times, and I really like that nation a lot. Also, EU, etc.

I suppose you’re asking if I’d rather be a citizen of a different country because it won’t do me any good to have someone else’s passport, and possibly a much bigger problem if someone else has mine.

I’m a US citizen and the answer would be no. This country is on the verge of something though. I’m pretty old but if things go the wrong way I could see my children considering somewhere else.

Being English and living in England, I believe swap my current passport for an Irish one would be an all-round plus right now.

Oh yes. We’ve been losing clarity and nuance here, as on the internet as a whole.

I’ll take a passport to Denmark or Norway if they’re offering. I like fjords, cross-country skiing, and Lego blocks, and I’ll ride a bike as long as I don’t have to do steep uphill sections.

Stranger

My sister has a Canada passport, I have a US passport. She told me she is treated better in Europe and Latin America with a Canada passport than with her old US one. I was slightly hurt, and told her I’d rather have an Iceland passport. I’ll keep my US citizenship and deal with the French politely.