Would you go back in time if it meant living your entire life again from your first memory.

I think it would not be too hard. The easiest way would be to invest in some internet stocks and make a few million dollars in the 90s. Use that money to buy access to a few powerful politicians. I’m pretty confident that a million dollar donation will get you a half-hour meeting with a senator.

Then explain the details of the plot and how it can be verified. Tell them that on September 10th, there will be unusual options activity for the airlines in question. Tell them that there will be a number of young middle eastern men buying first class tickets for flights on 9/11.

A call from a couple senators ought to be enough to get the FBI to at least check the trading activity for the two airlines. Once that is confirmed, it’s pretty likely they will intercept the terrorists.

I can’t decide.

If I were sent back, given the personalities of my parents, the lack of social concern for child abuse, my mother’s seriously screwed up family, the best thing that I could do, as a four-year-old, would be to shoot my psycho father in his sleep. Four-year-olds don’t go to jail, so I wouldn’t serve time.

If that were to happen, then it’s a good chance that two of my siblings wouldn’t have developed severe, debilitating mental illnesses, and my younger brother would not be on the streets. My older brother’s children would not also be seriously screwed up because my brother would be less likely to have married that bitch from hell, and he may have actually turned out to be a father instead of just the breadwinner.

Chances are that my all of my siblings would be able to graduate from high school, and attend and graduate from college, and be able to have stable jobs.

My mother could have avoided the mental breakdowns, attempted suicides and self mutilations which occurred a few years later.

It would be fun to be in Sunday School and ask really, really difficult questions to the teachers.

On the downside, I doubt I could get the help I needed back in the mid 60s, especially as an adult mind in a child’s body. It would be years before Zoloft would come along, and counseling would suck. (No, really, I’m suffering from PTSD from events which never happened. I can see having to really shut up or get locked away for a long time.)

Also, I would not likely have the same children, which would really be a show stopper for me.

Also, my sister would not have married that guy who reminds everyone of my father, and so would likely have different children. Since my nephew and niece are great kids, that would be hard to remove them from the world.

Given 24 hours to memorize stock trends, I’m sure that picking winners would make me rich, and maybe I could use some of that for good.

Yes, definitely. I’d say to all that listened that I’m from the future - a post-apocalyptic future. I’d tell everyone that in 1996–97, the Earth’s surface was contaminated by a virus so deadly that it forced the surviving population to live underground, and I’d been sent on a dangerous mission to the past to collect information on the virus, thought to be released by a terrorist organization known as the Army of the Twelve Monkeys. I’d try and avoid airports where possible :D.

I’d also warn Elvis, if I got back in time, to go easy on the pills; tell engineers at Three Mile Island to check the water levels; tell John Lennon to go on a long holiday; tell engineers at Union Carbide in Bhopal to check the water levels; tell Coke not to bother; tell the guys at NASA and Chernobyl to take a bit more care; tell the captain of the Exxon Valdez to go easy on the Martinis :rolleyes:; stop 911 etc.

I’d definitely ditch school, and opt for home tuition mainly in computer science and programming. I’d contact Gates and Wozniak and keep in contact with them - I can’t imagine in the 70s/80s they’d be too busy to keep in touch with a kid who’s full of ideas about the future; CDs, touchpads, USB, Vista (grrr) etc and who happens to be a shareholder too.

Yes, without hesitation.

Young again, more time with loved ones, more time in general.
Plus in my case, there are a couple critical mistakes I made around my mid-teens that set my life on a negative course that would be trivial to put right.

I have a fairly good memory. I voted “NO”, because I have no doubt, that the second time through, I would end up being committed for “living in a fantasy world.” As I interact with the world, I’ll form new memories that would not be consistent with how I remembered things went.

“Remember the time we went tubing down the creek and Jimmy the bully finally got what was coming to him?”

“Uhm, who’s Jimmy the bully”

“Oh, nevermind, we avoided him this time around.”

I always was “older than my years” or had “been here before” (as one elderly woman insisted) so having the mindset of an adult as a 4 y/o wouldn’t be a problem per se…

Are we allowed to make changes to our life, or do we have to relive everything in full horror of knowing what’s going to happen next?

If we’re allowed to make changes then I’d go back without hesitation. Otherwise you can forget it, my life was bad enough first time 'round, not going there again :mad:

My thoughts exactly. Since I’ll remember everything, it’s practically like trading HIM in for a new life. Can’t do it.

I’d do it with hesitation. I doubt I could memorize enough to be worthwhile in the past. The hesitation is from the point the OP brings up. It would be so frustrating to be treated as a child. However, I think I could mitigate that with my own behavior. The real incentive would be being better able to handle some of the crap others (and I myself) put me through.

I wonder, though: can you really experience the joys you had as a child again? I doubt it. But it would be nice to visit some of the past places again.

Right now I have some reservations, but would probably go for it. Ask me when I’m 80; I’m pretty sure the reservations will be gone.

The likely result is that I’d be killed in my crib for being way too creepy, though.

Actually, that would explain a lot. . . :eek:

Perhaps there’s some way to fix that “hanging chad” situation down in Florida in 2000.

This sounds like a good idea on the surface but, having considered this sort of idea in the past, the more I think about it, the worse it works out.

On a personal level, a huge part of who I am is the relationships I’ve developed. I would be completely unable to develop any relationships with my peers, particularly at a younger age. Admittedly, most of the relationships I have, outside of family and family friends don’t date back to my childhood, but they do date back to times when I wasn’t who I am now. And beyond that, some of the relationships I regretted ending at the time, I’ve also come to realize were probably better off for me in the long run. Even the relationships that ultimately ended in painful ways, through a nasty break-up or a betrayal by a friend, they were still net positives because I enjoyed them while I had them and, of the two or three most painful relationships I recall, I learned an enormous amount from them.

I live by the motto that a regret is a lesson unlearned. Sure, I guess I wouldn’t need to learn that lesson anymore since I’d be who I am now, but still, if I went back to try to effect changes in all that, I very well could just end up reliving an entirely different life and not even being the right person for that life anymore since it wasn’t the one I grew up and created for myself.
Now, there is the more general changes I might be able to make. Being aware of some great disasters that have happened since my youth, would foreknowledge mean I could prevent them? Anything before I was about 18, I seriously doubt I could do anything since, even with specific knowledge, would I be able to convince the right people? For instance, I was 19 when 9-11 happened, could I at that age as a college sophmore, have made a believable case to the right people? Four years later, even working as a government contractor in the Coast Guard, I’m not sure I could have done much to help prevent the Katrina disaster.

Even if I could actually change one major event like that, how might it affect all of the events that followed? Sure, natural disasters almost certainly would occur regardless of what humans would have done over a few years, so I’d really only have any useful knowledge about one major event, assuming I could convince people to believe me, and then a set of natural disasters thereafter. If I do pick a single event, what single event do I pick and how can I be sure it may not end up backfiring. For example, say I do pick 9-11 and I do get it prevented, maybe Al Qaeda just plans another attack instead a few years later that is worse, or without the lessons and/or justification for some beefed up security afterward, we basically just get the same thing a year later but with unpredicted world events intervening that throws off all of the rest of the knowledge I’d have about it.

So yeah, I’d like to think I’d be willing to essentially relive my entire life if it meant I could help correct something I see as a major preventable error for humanity. But it’s sort of like asking what would have happened if we went back and assassinated Hitler, but just as we’ve seen in a thread asking that sort of question, it’s not a given that even killing someone who is widely considered one of the most evil people in the 20th century would have made things tangibly better and could have even made things worse.

So no, I don’t think it’s in our interest to go back and change things because, even if I would retain the knowledge of those lessons, anyone else affected by it wouldn’t and then all hell breaks loose.

@Blaster Master

I would imagine that it would be best to let history happen the same as it happened previously, and all you can do is get your friends and loved ones away from ground zero of whatever manmade or natural disaster. You could make sure for example if you lived in New Orleans to have all your important documents and pictures/family heirlooms ready to be evacuated so you don’t lose anything important. For anything else there is insurance. You could do a little messing around in your personal life [pay attention in school, use a condom, go to a different career choice, avoid sticking your dick in the crazy] maybe make sure that you stick $10-100 bucks a paycheck into a retirement account. I would be fairly hesitant at the whole invest in Apple/Google/Microsoft/memorize the megamillions numbers for 3/20/2012 [1,2,6,11,14/30 by the way. ]

I basically agree with you but some people still aren’t getting it. Chaos theory would turn this whole thing into a very memorable and horrifying Twilight Zone episode really quickly even if the downside is just personal. The popular saying manifests itself as a butterfly flapping its wings causes weather changes in a different part of the world weeks later. Chaos theory isn’t a philosophical construct, it is experimentally true but people here are volunteering to do it on an unprecedented scale. The fact that we haven’t all been wiped out from a world-wide pandemic or nuclear war in this timeline is reason enough for me to say no because an alternate timeline always has that risk.

Any person with such knowledge would alter the timeline starting immediately but the effect would become world-changing over time. You might be able to get your parents to buy the right lottery numbers in the first few hours after you went back and expect it to work but things would start to fall apart quickly after that. Anyone who is younger than you would not ever be born if you had or caused any direct or indirect effects on their parents. That includes just about everyone in the world within weeks to months at best.

Hurricane Katrina would be an example of something that would be very difficult for one person to change in the short to intermediate term but certainly not the long term. Lottery numbers are easy to disrupt even by one person because those ping pong balls are controlled by chaos theory themselves.

I think you would simply end up driving yourself insane mourning the non-existence of huge numbers of people that you once knew but weren’t even born in your new time-line. People older than you would have experiences like accidents or illness that never happened the first time. It sounds like going straight into a true nightmare.

The sad truth is that I think about this every day of my life. As far back as I can remember, even at age 8 or 9, I was wishing I could live my life over. Which is really pitiful for a kid that young to already have such regrets or miseries that she wants a “do-over.”

The only difficult part for me would be things I know I can’t change, or have very litttle possibiity in changing. I’ve documented elsewhere my ridiculous over-empathy with inanimate objects; that goes quadruple (at least) for my loved ones. With my cats now, for example, I hate knowing stuff they don’t know – like that I’m going to be taking them to the vet and they have no idea where they’re going or that I’m about to put them in a carrier and uprooting them. And that’s just for average vet visits, y’know?

So could I really live my childhood and watch my mother knowing she’s going to get lung cancer when I’m 18 and die when I’m 19? I suppose I could spend most of my time trying to get her to stop smoking, but what are the odds she’d listen? Plus, the damage might have already been done by then. Wouldn’t this knowledge inform me terribly throughout my childhood? Yes I’d get to see her again, and pay more attention to her, and be less self-absorbed and oblivious than a kid is, and I’d have conversations with her that were more meaningful and ask her more about herself and do my very best to get her into therapy of some kind so she could eventually maybe forgive herself for my brother’s death (which would be impossible for me to prevent since it happened before I was born).

I’d obviously be looking for the signs of her illness earlier instead of, um, never until I was told she was ill. Could I watch that whole horror show knowing she’s doomed? I don’t know. I have a dread feeeling I’d end up doing purposely what my 19-year-old self did subconsciously: back away from her, cut off my feelings, try to sever myself so I would hypothetically be less tormented by her death. It didn’t work when my mind kept me in denial subconsciously, of course. I would know in advance that her pointless last trip to this experimental snake oil-esque treatment center in the Bahamas was doomed. Would I go with her this time, instead of stay home to be musical director of a stupid community theater show? Would I want to see her die instead of being thousands of miles away at the time?

Usually when I have my daily fantasy wishing I could live my life over again knowing what i do now, I make the caveat that I’d start right after my mother’s death. If that weren’t a possibility, it would be a very difficult decision to make. But considering everything else that I could change, I think I’d almost have to go for it.

Aside from that, sadly I have nothing in my life now that I would worry about losing, except my cats, and I guess what I’d try to memorize is the day I found them on Petfinder so I could adopt them again. I’d try to do a better job in school and focus more intensely on singing, music and studying theater, and I’d take dance and take much better care of my physical form than I did. I’d work toward going to Juilliard or even Yale School of Drama isntead of going to crappy a crappy state school because I didn’t care where I went to college originally. I’d demand my parents put me in therapy as soon as I was able to influence them, because I’d still be clinically depressed --as I said, my brother would still be dead, my mom would still be depressed and guilty over that for years until/unless I were able to convince her and my father to get some counseling for something that happened before I was born.

I wouldn’t be as intimidated by my father and might have a better relationship with him, instead of waiting until he was in his last ten years of life to finally forgive him for being with someone else after my mom died.

Maybe I’d have a spouse. Maybe I’d have kids. I don’t know because these were things I was never mentally healthy enough to consider as possible goals. I’d save my father from dying from a stupid falling accident, though that would mean he’d probably end up dying a few years later, older and less vital a man than he was. That would be hard too. Hopefully through long years of therapy that started much earlier, I would be able to live my life without as much fear and regret and doubt. I suppose there’s a risk my sisters wouldn’t meet their future husbands, and worse, that my amazing niece woudln’t be born. But I’d try to have as little impact on my oldest sister’s life as possible so that hopefully her marriage and thus niece would be the same.

On the less personal issues, I’d try to save John Lennon and Phil Hartman; I’d call in specific bomb threats to United 93 and so on before September 11; a few years earlier I’d write Al Gore and forewarn him that his election was going to be stolen; I’d do everything in my power to destroy GWB’s campaign. I’d also write a letter warning Clinton against the Leweinsky affair, but I doubt I’d be able to prevent him from being a dog and hurting his reputation and thus his VP’s chances for election.

Oh, I’d rewrite the Harry Potter books myself before Rowling had a chance to. Duh.

If I could guarantee that I’d wind up having the exact same wife and children, I’d do it in a heartbeat. To see my grandparents again, my childhood dog, play sandlot baseball again would be great. I’d also need a guarantee that I’d wind up in the same dorm in college so I could be a cook once again, and that co-worker that I figured out later had a thing for me… well we’d spend a lot more time in that walk-in refrigerator only we’d close that door behind us.

As far as trying to change history, no thanks. How do we know that one of the innocent people killed on 9/11 wasn’t the next great criminal mastermind, or carried in his loins the seeds of the next Hitler? Or that foiling that attack would merely delay a more successful (in terms of body count) attack by a year?

Chaos theory does not mean “If you stop a bad thing, worse things will happen.” It just means different, unpredictable things will happen. They could be better things.

I’m fine with different. That’s the whole point as far as I’m concerned.

Even if my life had been nothing but sunshine and roses, I’d still take the offer.

Rewind back to high school? Maybe. Back to first memory? No way. I wouldn’t be able to change anything for 15 some odd years, so why bother? Now, knowing what I know now would have been handy in high school, when you can actually make decisions that make a difference.

I’d love to see what would’ve happened had I gone back in time and lived my entire life again. However, I’d stand to lose far too much to actually go through with it.