Would you rather lose 5 fingers for $100 million, 4 fingers for $10 million or 3 fingers for $1 million?

How about one for $333,333.33?

I really don’t use my pinky or ring fingers except to type.

I pick five fingers.

Five fingers for $100 mil. I’d hire something to everything for me. Including…ummm…yep, everything!

I can’t think of the title, but there’s a short in a horror anthology, I think based on EC comics, so may have been the Creepshow series.where two bored gamblers bet parts of their fingers when they lose. In the closing shot, they’re two stumps playing cards with their teeth.

Right pinkie for a cool bil.

No to all of them. Making money in the US isn’t that difficult, and acquiring a million or so can be done with patience and long term planning. 100 million is more likely to destroy your life than improve it, and 10 million is questionable.

I’ll keep my body parts, thanks.

Heh! “On one hand.”

Dan

Bad idea - Doctor told me the index finger is less important than the fingers farthest from the thumb, because the outboard fingers preserve the useful width of your hand.

Dan

Double-action, don’t forget.

Dan

I can count on one hand the things I’d miss if I lost my fingers…Doh!

You’re referring to an episode of Tales From The Crypt titled “Cutting Cards” featuring Lance Henriksen.

Thanks! I imagined the playing cards ending. They’re playing checkers! Tales from the Crypt S02E03 Cutting Cards - YouTube

Great episode!

3 fingers: both pinkies and one ring finger. 1 million would be enough to pay off the mortgage, and leave sufficient extra money to cover our salaries for the next few years - so it would be enough to retire on (with existing savings etc.). That’s important - as I am on a keyboard nearly full-time for work, and losing those fingers would impair my ability to type. But overall functionality for other things would be fine - gotta keep the opposable thumbs on both hands.

I lost the use of one hand for a couple months, back in 2018 due to wrist surgery. I would not want to lose more than 2 fingers on any given hand.

Of course I’d need the middle fingers on both hands or I wouldn’t be able to drive.

i tried closing some fingers … the fingers one is least likely to use would be the last two. however … supposing one removes two from each hand for total of $10m … there’s gonna’ be stalkers and assassins waiting to pounce on you … the moment that check arrives. i choose to keep what god gave me.

I would rather not play. Is that an option?

I think I’d give up five fingers, take the $100M, then hire a hit man to take out the guy who’s enforcing the no-preostheses condition, and get prostheses.

I read the short story that episode was based on! Weird twist at the end.

He said, hands in pockets as he backed away.

“Man From the South” (1948) by Roald Dahl. It was also dramatized in the first episode of Dahl’s Tales of the Unexpected anthology series. Jose Ferrer played the gambler in that one.

It was also done in Four Rooms as the fourth vignette:

The penthouse is occupied by famous director Chester Rush (Tarantino) and his friends, including Angela. They request a block of wood, a doughnut, a ball of twine, three nails, a club sandwich, a bucket of ice, and a hatchet “as sharp as the Devil himself”. Ted is invited to join their challenge: Chester’s friend Norman (Paul Calderón) has bet he can light his Zippo cigarette lighter ten times in a row; if Norman succeeds, he will win Chester’s car, but if he fails, his pinky will be cut off. Ted, asked to “wield the hatchet” should Norman fail, tries to leave, but Chester offers $100 up front and another $1,000 to perform his assigned role. Norman’s lighter fails on the first try, and Ted chops off his pinky, sweeps up the money, and leaves the penthouse with an energetic step. As the credits roll, Chester and company frantically prepare to take a screaming Norman to the hospital.