Would you rather lose 5 fingers for $100 million, 4 fingers for $10 million or 3 fingers for $1 million?

Clever. But have you considered you may well be committing some form of assault, which may in turn invite a lengthy prison sentence, and expose you to a tort action that may result in your having to fork over all the money gained?

Best bet is to take the fingers off the kids menu, and give your server a sizable tip with your newfound wealth. If they won’t let you order off the kids menu because you’re too old and unaccompanied, splurge on the adult selection, but deduct the amount from your server’s tip for their being so difficult.

Do not take the server’s fingers. That would be wrong, even if they refused to let you order off the kids menu.

For personal utility, sure, it makes no direct difference; I’m not a splurger and I wouldn’t buy a spree of houses or cars or whatnot. But I have fantasized in the past that if I had real big money, there were some movies I’d like to see made (which could only happen if I pulled the financial purse strings with my own money,) and a professional baseball team I’d like to start (in Taiwan’s pro league, which has fallen on hard times and now only has 5 teams remaining.) And there is a lot of philanthropy I’d like to do.

Having lost the function of all five on my paralyzed right arm, it’s not such a big deal. Take the money, while millions is still considered a lot.

A friend’s husband lost the tip of his left pinkie in a work related accident years ago. He got a check for $50,000. His wife always brings it up when she’s drunk, and tries convincing him to chop off another for the cash.

I’ll pass on the money, although I guess I’d go for the 10 million and pick four fingers on jtur88’s right hand.

I guess it depends. 10 million is great for sitting around doing nothing but if you want to accomplish something its not a whole lot. I’d like 20 million before I start my next distillery and that would involve me not getting paid for 12 years so I’d need another 6 to fund my life in the meantime.

Heck, I’m involved in small start up right now and we’ve used 6 million with another 2 in debt in the last 6 months. Hopefully we’ll be profitable in another year. Even the smallest distilleries that have a chance at success need 3 million to fund their first two year. 10 million disappear in a hurry. I could spend the 100 million without trying too but I’d end up with land and businesses so it wouldn’t really be gone even if one or two of the businesses failed.

In this dramatization of a short story, a gambler places a bet.

If the gambler wins, he gets to cut off the man’s finger. If he loses, he gives the man a car.

I want a deposit.

If I have no choice and don’t know what fingers they are, I guess I’ll do four. The marginal difference between a million and ten million is much greater than between ten and a hundred.

I would never do this, I have to say. But about 1/4 of the conversations in my life are conducted in American Sign Language.

For 100 million you could have a full time translator just follow you around 24/7

For most people a windfall like one, or ten, or one hundred, million dollars just means they can stop working and do whatever they want with the rest of their lives. Most of what I want to do involves having an intact, healthy body. Just call me a killjoy.

I concur.

Joy of playing my guitar is worth more.

if you want my leg or an eye though…

5 for $100 mill, please. I know a guy who has thumb/pinkie on his right hand. Many people don’t even realize he is missing any.

For $100 mill, I’d give up my main hobbies of golf and music.

I’m honestly having a really hard time conceptualizing why anyone would pick any number other than 0 or 5. Assuming 0 is off the table, how can losing 5 fingers be so much worse than losing 3 that its worth $99M? Once you’ve already accepted the loss of 3 fingers, the other two feel like small beer.

After the work I put into becoming fluent? I’m happy when I speak for myself.

Definitely 5 for 100 mil. It would let me be a significant philanthropist for the rest of my life. And I’d still be pretty good for hiking. Besides, my left hand doesn’t work all that well anyway, and I often use the arm for bracing things instead of actually manipulating them. I’d probably buy an automatic, though…

I’d be willing to part with fingernail clippings. Let’s say $85 or $100 if I throw in toenail clippings as well.

Yeah, that was my thinking - keep at least three fingers (and definitely the thumbs) on each hand, to retain as much dexterity as possible. Truth be told, though, I don’t need $10 million that badly.

It just occurred to me that one could take the $100 million and get prostheses anyway. Make sure you keep one of your own middle fingers to show to anyone who says “hey! that wasn’t part of the deal!”

One of my sons and I just discussed this question. We both play guitar, so we’d pick 3. My other son plays bass, so he could probably give up 5 (his girl friend may have something to say about that). Ms. P can keep all of hers, because we won’t need the money.