WTF? it's freakin Orange

Absolutely. Gameboy-color puke green is not an acceptable hue for cash. The $10 isn’t really that great, though. They still used some of the old green, and splashing peach over that color isn’t pretty.

This is very true.

Hear hear!

The new tens look coffee stained to me.

I like that we are updating our currency to be easier to distingish/identify. It will be more difficult to do the “I gave you a fifty not a five” scam. And our tourists will be less flummoxed. And I think most of the new designs are pretty. :smiley:

“Dude, is that one of the new $10 bills?”

“Naaa, I was just eating some cheetos.”

:smiley:

Sorry, but colored money makes it look like monopoly money. Real money comes in shades of green.

And dollar coins are stupid too. I don’t want to have to carry a pocket full of change everywhere I go.

We’re lazy and stubborn. It’s part of our charm. :slight_smile:

We are not la… ah nevermind.

My reaction to the new ten was pretty much in line with the OP. "Huh? It’s peach! :dubious: "

It looks like somebody took a normal greenback and bleached it. Not attractive.

Get wit’ the program, fool - the new bills rule

Seriously, this has to be a sensible idea. When I visited the states I hated that dull green money, and having to squint at the notes to see what was what.

I also hated accumulating a thick wad of $1 bills, when a small handful of coins could have done the job much more easily. In most countries, you keep a pocketful of change for small purchases, and only have to get your wallet out to fumble with notes when buying something big. In the states, buying a hamburger is a paper-money transaction!

And don’t forget that the Canadian ten now has a hologram stripe, and the five soon will!

Banknote designs haven’t arrived until they have a hologram or transparent plastic bits, says I. :slight_smile:

As for the design, not the colour, I like the previous series of US bills, with the larger, still-off-centre portraits.

Oh yeah, and about the damn dollar coins: Every time the Mint tries to introduce those things, the American public responds with overwhelming disinterest. There’s a reason for that. It’s the same reason why you see those penny dishes at cashier stands, why CoinStar machines are popping up in grocery stores, and why electric coin sorters are popular Christmas presents. People don’t want to be bothered carrying around small change.

Anyway, looking at the pictures on this page, the new $10 isn’t any more or less brightly coloured than the new $20 or $50.

Like I just said - WHY? Surely it’s far more convenient to have a pocketful of change for day-to-day purchases, rather than having to fish your wallet out and find a banknote?

Having paper money worth about 60 pence is just silly. Banknotes should be worth a decent amount of money - you shouldn’t have to hand over the folding stuff just to buy a newspaper or a can of Coke! That’s what coins are for!

Who the hell wants to stand there feeding a dozen quarters into a vending machine, or fiddling with bills that the machine just won’t accept? If you had a dollar coin (or even better, a $2 coin) it would be just plunk, plunk, done!

As a matter of curiosity, how does this affect a currency’s core functions of being easily distinguishable and hard to counterfeit? I couldn’t even tell you what’s on UK banknotes. I tell them apart by the size and colour and leave it at that - I have better things to do than sit around savouring the beauty of my beer money.

Whereas of course if nickels, dimes, quarters and pennies were bills no-one would ever want to trade them in for larger, more useful denominations :dubious:. Alternatively you could just round up all prices to the nearest dollar, but I can’t imagine an outcry of support for that proposition either…

I for one am glad that America has finally come to its senses. After something like two hundred years, the Treasury Department has finally begun to realize what should have been obvious to begin with: it is impossible for many people to tell the denomination of a bill just by looking at the number. It’s about time that the United States began emulating the dozens of other nations that don’t discriminate against people in this offensive manner. It’s utterly ludicrous to have to waste five or ten seconds staring blankly at uniformly colored currency, trying to process the frustratingly incomprehensible symbols thereon. It’s so much simpler to make choices based on bright colors, like a pigeon in a behavioral research experiment or something.

But what about the thousands of color-blind people who don’t care to waste their valuable time deciphering numbers? Perhaps, like coins, bills should be different sizes as well; or maybe they should incorporate a microchip that produces the distinctive sounds of various barnyard animals. Personally I think it’s a scandal that American currency doesn’t glow in the dark.

There was a time when I worried that the recent garish currency redesigns would subtly lessen the country’s dignity, but obviously this has become something of a moot point over the last four or five years.

Yesterday I thought I has no money at lunch–I had no folding money–but then I looked in my change pouch, and there was the needed $6.07 in change (2x$2, 1x$1, 4x$0.25, 7x$0.01), and I could get my lunch!

Maybe it’s just because the local syndicating TV station used to have it as one of their billboard catchphrases, but I can just picture Dr. House scowling at a new ten-spot and growling “You’re orange, you moron!”

:slight_smile:

Screw funky colors. I want my bills to sing “Hallelujah” when I take them out of my wallet.

That link made me laugh out loud.

“Hey! our bank notes are all the same colour, wouldn’t it be better if we used a color other than just… you know… green?”
“Great idea, how about we use a sort of washed out, indistinct muddy mix of colors on this denomination?”
“I like it, but what about the other denominations?”
“Oh, that’s easy, we can use the same colors on those too”

Hey! Our currency has always been colorful. Two scintillating colors were used, green and black.

It used to be that when I found a yellow tenspot in my wallet it was because I left it on the floor, and the dog peed on it.
Ahh, the memories!
Yet, I still wish they had picked a color that looked less like ‘distressed’ paper.