X-files coming back next season? [Yes!]

I’m surprised they convinced the actors to return. They got spoiled making the movies.

I’ll give it a chance and watch a couple episodes.

Edited title at OP’s request.

Retcons are all the rage these days, so I don’t see why they couldn’t just pretend that nothing after Season 7 actually happened. It was all a dream! A very poorly plotted dream!

So this will be a miniseries? Like they did with Torchwood? They had two miniseries runs of it after it got canceled.

Spoiled how? They’ve both continued working in television.

<shrug> Typically actors think making movies is more glamorous than tv. Actors that start in tv and transition to movies don’t want to go back.

I guess David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson need the work and that’s a good thing for fans of the show.

Sure wish they’d bring back Star Trek Deep Space Nine for a mini series. That would be the coolest thing ever. But, the cast is bigger. They’d at least need Sisko,Kira, Miles O’Brien, and Odo. Four actors to make it happen.

I really hope X Files gets back to its roots. Do episodes like they did seasons 1 thru 3. Investigating paranormal stuff. I quit watching after season 5 because all the conspiracy stuff just got too silly. Mulder chasing after his missing sister episode after episode. I got sick of it.

I’ll watch a couple episodes too see which direction they’re taking the show. If they just continue some conspiracy where it left off then it won’t make any sense to me. I don’t remember all those back story details this many years later.

Anderson’s also continued to work steadily in film.

I’m in two minds - I like both actors, but hate the way the alien plot ended up going (I loved the beginning, with Mr X and all that), and this is going to have to be about wrapping that up.

Right, but Duchovny and Anderson have been working in television pretty regularly. Neither one of them abandoned TV. I don’t see how you reached your conclusion that the movies spoiled them.

They’re both getting plenty of work. They don’t need to do X-Files again.

Here’s an idea: Make X-Files a season of American Horror Story. Use the regular AHS cast, along with David and Gillian, and let the AHS writers and producers have free reign.

I’d watch the hell out of that.

I hope it throws out all the “Mythology” and does six stand alone episodes. The Monster of the Week episodes were always the best and aged the best.

A slap in the face, maybe, but if they want to entice me to watch, these are exactly the elements they’ll forget ever happened.

And I say that as someone who is an X-Files fan. I have all the episodes on DVD and have watched through it all at least three times. Scully’s baby is the single worst plot arc in all of X-Files. The alien conspiracy and end of the world are not entirely bad, but they become so ridiculously convoluted by the end that I need to pull up Wikipedia to remind myself what the plot is sometimes. By the time you have an alien faction working with a human faction that’s only pretending to work with another alien faction… and then you realize that there are multiple factions pretending to work with or against other multiple factions… and then they call in freaking alien bounty hunters… to kill the psychics! :smack:

I’ll definitely watch. Loved the show, especially the first few years. Didn’t care much for either movie.

Here’s a Chris Carter interview: AOL - Finance News & Latest Business Headlines - AOL.com

Please, God - don’t have Mulder and Scully rapping.

Oooooooooooooo…why must you say such awesome things because you know we will never get them. You deserve a kick!

They’d have to ignore the mytharc, because by the original conspiracy, the aliens invaded for reals about 1997 and infected everyone in the world with the Black Oil, and now there are no humans or earthly civilization left at all. The earth is now, in 2015, an alien world, populated by whatever the original aliens that Deep Throat and Mulder Sr and CSM and WMM met in 1947. There’s no reason they would have stopped their invasion plans. We had nothing to stop them, or even slow them down, other than deceit.

They should have made the mytharc this way: the aliens planned to invade, the Syndicate knew they couldn’t stop them, so they pretended to be collaborators. But they were secretly working on a plan. And that plan was the X-files. The whole reason for the XF department was to find supernatural or superscience ways to defeat the invaders. The Syndicate hopes that, before the delayed invasion deadline, something would be found that would work. Maybe an army of Tony Shaloubs that can kill with their shadows. That would be quite the weapon!

And the interesting thing about this version - CSM is the good guy! He wasn’t a collaborator, he was saving humanity.

Not a bad idea. And they could probably still make it happen that way! More likely, though, the invasion will either not be mentioned at all, or will somehow have been… postponed.

:bump:

Cool news.

Netflix has added HD-widescreen copies of the first 13 episodes of the show. Sounds like they chopped the tops of the pilot, but the rest was filmed in widescreen even though it aired in 4:3. The pilot was filmed differently.

Edit: Apparently some data is lost from the top and bottom, but I guess we won’t see crew or lighting, etc?

Watching “Ice” in HD right now. Wow, they look so young!

Yeah, I watched Ghost in the Machine last night and noticed the change to HD. I hope they can do the same with the rest of the series.

Ice is up next for me–a very memorable episode that I haven’t seen in a long time.

That is awesome. Same sort of thing with Seinfeld, the currently running reruns are HD widescreen and look quite good. Its neat seeing more on the sides of the screen than the original airings had.