­xkcd thread

I’d wield an integral mostly like a staff, and you get the most effect out of those by sliding one hand along the shaft. The closed circle would get in the way of that, so I’d prefer an open integral.

Yeah. Hook that bad boy behind an ankle & pull; the opponent’s on the ground. Then wield it like an axe and drive the hook on the business end into their head. The closed integral circle is just weight and obstacle to wielding this long-pole weapon.

Ref the original comic I do think a treble clef would be a good shield or maybe even, like nun-chucks, something you can get rotating as a dynamic shield to deflect incoming spear / swords. But it’s not an attacking weapon; way too much redundant weight.

It could be someone (the giant?) reciting the alphabet, one letter/second and then jumping when they get to Z. Further research needed.

They know what they did!

I don’t want to get a virus in my spreadsheet.

“Send the trolley over the bridge.”
“But it takes 10 minutes to cross that bridge!”
“That’s strange. I can cross it in 2 minutes.”

“Just put the trolley on a treadmill.”
“OK, the treadmill is behind one of these three doors.”

Of course, absent the trolley, there’s a simple solution available starting in panel 2. These things only eat each other when unsupervised, and so once you have three people present, you just need to keep one on each bank and one in the boat, and then take the cargo across in whatever order you choose.

All right, who let this guy with the logical, simple solution in here?

That reminds me of one of my* old sayings in IT: Any sufficiently complex problem statement affords a trivial solution which isn’t what the business users want.

IOW: Requirements suck! Always have, always will. Godel proved it; I believe it; and that settles it.

Bravo @Chronos!

* I'm not claiming originality; just claiming use.

If the boat can’t carry a person, wolf, goat, and cabbage together, then I’m not sure you can fit anything more than a cabbage in the boat if you also have two people in it.

Perhaps the cartoonist for the Telegraph reads xkcd.

That’s about the grades fiasco in the UK:

For those of us who don’t recognize British public figures by caricature, do the farmer and the fox there represent specific individuals?

Farmer = Boris Johnson
Fox = Gavin Williamson, Education Secretary - there have been widespread calls, even from his own party, that he should be fired (given the sack), but Boris Johnson is backing him.

That’s a great cartoon. The Brits have such a better tradition of intelligent lampooning than does the US.

I didn’t recognize the face on the fox, but it was obvious from context exactly who he was and what was happening. It helps I read a lot of British writing & get many British idioms.

“Get the sack” is understood in American English, too (maybe not the most common expression for being kicked out of a job, but enough to make the pun work).