Yaaarghh! It's pronounced SUB-SID-I-ARY, goddammit!!

I heard a retired military expert on the news the other day refer to the “1st Calvary Division”.

I had a science teacher who was convinced that “robarts” were going to take over the world.

He also had trouble with “the instresting thing about thinking about emzymes”…

My boss says “pacifically” all the time. He even read it off a presentation yesterday that said “specifically” right there on the screen. He’s not the only one in the company, either. =3

Maybe she’s stealing the “r” from another word.

Has she ever mentioned her periphial vision?

What do you want him to say? Atlantically?

I was in line at a Marine chow hall. Near the end of the line, a young Marine stood with a soup ladle. “What’s the soup today, Marine?” I asked. “Mine strone” says he.

“Pacific” may refer to the ocean, but it also may refer to simply being peaceful; that was the original meaning of the word, and is in fact why the ocean was named as such.

An antonym of “pacifically” might be “violently.”

Butt hiss hart was rite their!

I’m am super sensitive to (what I consider) mispronunciations but it’s been drilled into me on this very board that there are regionalisms, and “no such thing as wrong pronunciation” , blah blah blah, so I, like the poster upthread, try to let it slide as much as I can. But I think the real pisser in the OP is that it’s almost an industry term at his company and it does indeed seem moronic that someone, simply by virtue of hearing it all the live long day, could still mispronounce it. I’ve mentioned my borderline retarded co-worker (not really; she’s just form Philly:p ) and even her stupidity I’ve come to excuse as “regionalisms”. But, thre are some words and names that are not open to interpretation.
It’s “Emeril”, not “Emerald” and “Conde Nast”, not “Connie Nash” you stupid twat.

So, which one won out: the Why-eye or the Piss-three?

Sounds like my dad, on both counts. He’s originally from southeastern Wisconsin.

Heh. I worked on military manuals for a defense contractor. We published two separate versions because of ONE word: the Navy and Air Force were fine using the term “align,” as in the phrase, “align the arrow on right edge of this chart with the arrow on the left edge of the following chart,” but the Army insisted on spelling the word “aline.” Even though THAT term is both 1) wrong and 2) easily mispronounced itself (a-leen?), and thus likely to throw off both educated and ignorant users.

I crankily pointed out that the Army has no trouble expecting these same people to memorize hundreds of complex, almost arbitrary abbreviations, and suggested they just tell people ALIGN is an abbreviation (“Never mind WHY it’s spelled that way, maggot!”), but apparently it was in the contract that we spell it that way, so my complaint was ignored.

My division is a subsidiary of our parent company. A guy in our division has a great DJ-type voice and records the outgoing messages for our voicemail. And for years now, callers have been greeted by “Thank you for calling XYZ Company, a **subsiderary **of ABC Corporation”.

Grrrrrrrrrrr.

But I try to ignore all mispronounciations like that, so I don’t stab my coworkers who say “aks”.

That looks like a British pronunciation—like how Brits pronounce “secretary” or “ordinary” with three syllables but Americans pronounce them with four.

It’s wih-ih, you drooling Philistine.

This kind of thing can really get under my skin, exspecially when you have athaletes who suddenly decide to become realators. Ah, what can you do? It’s a doggie dog world.

Yeah, but does it have french benefits?

I would ask if you’ve seriously heard someone say that, but I think I know what the answer is.

After they’ve been athaletes they may also choose to become mothers, and during labor the cervix can either dialate or even sometimes dilatate. (I heard both of those from different medical professionals).

Just yesterday I sat through a meeting featuring at least three uses of the word “satistics.”
Anybody seen a missing t lying around anywhere?