Yankee Stadium

I know Yankee Stadium was refurbished in the mid-70’s and that as part of that, the roof over the upper deck and the posts were removed. So my question is, without the posts, what keeps the upper deck from crashing down into the lower deck? Modern stadiums (Camden Yards, Jacobs Field, etc) eliminate posts by having the upper deck set back from the lower deck so it each has its own support, however, from what I see on TV Yankee Stadium’s decks sit atop each other. So what’s keeping them up?

Underwiring?

I thought that the particular engineering technique that made the new Yankee Stadium possible was the cantilever system.

With cantilevers, you don’t have to look around support posts, but you also end up further away from the field the higher you go up.

But didn’t a big chunk of the roof of Yankee Stadium fall down earlier this year? I remember it being closed for a few days. Maybe what’s holding it up is the “termites holding hands!” :slight_smile:

It was last year, voguevixen, and after a thorough check by inspectors, it was shown that the legendary building was structurally sound. Chalk it up as an isolated incident that fortunately happened when nobody was around.

GO YANKS!

Yer pal,
Satan

Bob, I guess that is my original question. The decks at current Yankee Stadium are still atop each other, unlike Camden Yards or Jacobs Field, both of which use cantilevers and both of which have upper decks set far back from the field. By way of contrast, Yankee Stadium doesn’t appear to my engineeringly-ignorant eyes to be using cantilevers. So what is holding up its upper deck?

Well since Satan is supporting them it seems obvious it is the Dark Lord of the Unholy Netherworlds himself that is holding up the upper deck.

Jeffery

According to a report in ENR from 1998 on the collapse of an expansion joint in Yankee Stadium, the House that Ruth Built was always cantilevered. However, in its first incarnation the cantilever was only 27 feet. When it was renovated, the cantilevers were moved out to 62 feet.

Not being a structural engineer, I assume that the first design still required supporting columns, but the second design didn’t.