year 2000

Why is everybody making such a big deal about year 2000, to me its just another year like anything is going to happen.

The last year nothing happened was 1900.
We are upset because it might happen again.

This topic begs a corollary question: Is there a year in modern history in which not much happened? In other words, what’s the most uneventful year of the last 100 years?

How about 1985? 1910? Any historians here?

I don’t know who first said “everyone’s a critic,” but I think it’s a really stupid saying.

1985, my sophomore year of high school, definitely uneventful, as for what happened in the rest of the world I can’t remember.

Whatever happened to “party like it’s 1999”? It’s been 1999 for about half of 1999 now, and I haven’t partied like it. Anyone here have any really cool spontaneous 1999 parties?

It’s a big deal because everyone thinks it’s a big deal. When the majority of the population is thinking of a single thing, no matter how trivial, things can get kinda scary.

¾È ³ç, ÁÖ µ¿ ÀÏ

It’s a big deal because of the odometer effect – it’s watching all the little 9’s turn over to 0’s. That’s cool. My kids loved it when the car hit an even thousand or ten thousand miles, and, to tell the truth, I think it’s cool too.

It’s not as neat with these damn electronic odometers, of course, because you can’t see the wheels turning.

But all those checks or forms that gave year as “19__” going obsolete, ain’t that a kick?

Also, of course, the famous seer Notgivadamnus predicted that the year 2000 would be the end of the world as we know it.

Pete:

In 1985, the Royals won the World Series, so it was definitely a year with great cosmic significance.

Don’t you try to take my 1985 away from me!

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@schicktech.com

“Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be
the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks.”
– Douglas Adams’s Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective

You should read “Questioning the Millenium” by Stephen jay Gould… it basically explains the various reasons why you shouldn’t care… in a rather academic way but still.

There’s a word for this phenomenon, can’t remember, tranlates to “love of large, round numbers”

There will not be an apocalypse nor shall the sky fall. However, there is a fairly real possibility that there could be some interruption in daily life due to the “Y2K bug” in various systems. I assume that you know this, but this is why a lot of people are making a big deal.

It’s cool cause it shows how stupid some of the earlier computer programmers were as they only allowed 2 digit dates :slight_smile: & what the consequences are.

Well it may seem stupid now, but at the time they believed that they were saving space & reducing processing time (which they were).

Alas, they continued to use the same system, out of habit mostly long after it was necessary.

It ceased to be cool months ago for any of us who work in publishing, TV, films, fashion . . . We’ve all been working on our “2000” stuff for six months now and are already into next summer . . . it’s hard, being blase.

Why, I whipped out a few Y2K bugs last November. Its deceptivley easy.

May I gloat again about how Macintosh computers will be unaffected by the Y2K thing, as, in the words of one famous SF writer:

Apple. We may not have done everything right, but at least we knew the millenium was going to end.

–Douglas Adams