Yellow Polka-Dot Bikini

Yellow, with yellow dots of a different shade.

You’re just being difficult. :stuck_out_tongue:

A Google image search on “yellow polka dot bikini” turns up almost exclusively suits with yellow backgrounds and white or black dots.

Edlyn says white bikini with yellow polka dots.

Same here. Though my wife said she always pictured a yellow bikini with white dots.

Huh. Never questioned this before. I see it as yellow background, black dots.

Also, for some reason, that song is inextricably linked with One Eyed, One Horned, Giant Purple People Eater in my brain.

I despise ambiguity.

From hearing the song in the yogurt commercial, it surprises me that "she was afraid to come out of the locker’. Did “locker” used to mean something else, like a little changing hut? Or maybe locker room?

I’ve heard the song only one or two times, and it seemed to me that the point of the song was that it was a tiny bikini. Yes, something about it was yelllow, but the fact that it was “revealing” was the point of the song. Whether the dots were yellow, or the bikini itself, were yellow is not really important.

But to me [not to hijack], what really matters is why this pattern is called “polka dot”? I’m not a fan of polka, but why should these dots be named after polka music?

I’m old enough to remember when polka dots were all the rage, and white was the default color for the dots, unless stated otherwise. “Yellow polka-dot” would have meant yellow with large white dots, or possibly the reverse, but if any other color was involved, it would have been mentioned.

white with yellow dots
possibly pink with yellow dots
but not yellow with some other color dots

I’m guessing it scans better than “cabana.” I don’t think they had locker rooms much at the beach.

I could have sworn we did this thread before. Maybe it was somewhere else.

I think yellow with white dots.

According to the Wikipedia article on polka dots: While polka dots are ancient, they first became common on clothing in the late nineteenth century in Britain. At the same time polka music was extremely popular and the name was also applied to the pattern, despite no real connection between them.

To dovetail back into the original thread topic, this sort of “naming by coincidental concurrent event” is also how the name “bikini” for the outfit came about; the two-piece outfit was popularized right around the time the Bikini Atolls were in the news due to them being used for H-bomb testing). And “ball point pens” are called (literally) “atomic pens” in Chinese for the same reason.

And I’ll note that the picture given is a yellow background with red dots. Just like I imagined the bikini in the song, ha ha!

Well, *that * settles it. :rolleyes:

well, when I was a lot younger, yeah, we had Polka Dot Door.

Yellow with white polka dots as well.

And she’s fiiiiiiine as hell.

Río by Duran Duran.

Black with yellow dots and the dots are medium sized.