Yep, I'm done

I just scrolled down a thread I was interested in and down and down and down and read repeat after repeat after repeat after repeat in different orders with different quotes repeated and repeated and repeated.

And I never got to the “new replies” I was looking for, or maybe I missed them buried in the scrolling and the repeats of posts and the repeats of quotes inside the repeats of posts.

Not to mention the screen filled with white space and the the extremely intrusive “this is like this other thread” “suggested threads”, “you won a stupid meaningless award” ad nauseum. And too many other things to even list. I tried it. I thought we would end up with a version of the other discussion board software I have found perfectly fine, one is by Invision Community, another by something called VerticalScope … this is NOTHING like those.

I HATE this new board. I can’t even fucking read one single thread without thrashing in the weeds until I flounder to shore and go away.

Screw it. I’m outta here. Maybe I’ll come back in a year or so and see if any of the crap problems have been resolved.

I have not seen any repeated posts happen in any thread I’ve looked at.

Can you link to the thread so we can see what you’re talking about?

You can drag the scroll bar on the right to get to the bottom, or click on the time at the bottom of the scroll bar to get there immediately.

Press # to move quickly to a particular post number or date.

It’s a good feature that you can see the replies to a particular post attached to that post (if you want to), without having to scroll down. And you can see the post that someone is replying to, without scrolling up (if you want to). But you don’t have to click those buttons if you want to see all the posts in sequential order.

Try it for a bit longer. You’ll get used to it quickly. It would be a pity to lose you after so many years over technical issues. There’s plenty of help available.

There is a button to see the replies to a post. If you open it up you get a Reddit-style nested quoting experience. But the posts you see still show up in the vBulletin-style linear time-based format if you scroll down far enough.

I still am on the fence about whether this feature is a plus or minus. In theory you could just never click the “see replies” button and your experience would remain the same. Except there is another change: when you hit “reply”, it no longer quotes the post you were replying to by default. The combination of these features encourages some people to click “reply” and just start typing their reply with no other context, which gets confusing when you only see the response in traditional vB order.

I don’t know how to use the quote feature, but I just tried hard to find the thread I mentioned and it has disappeared. Of course.

It was the one titled something like “how many people would you kill so you wouldn’t have to wear a mask”. If it exists, I have no idea where to find it.

Also, I’m having a really crappy day in general and my fuse is very short, even for me, right now.

I’m not leaving the Dope, but I can definitely relate to the OP. What was originally a very tidy, simple, neat-to-read message board now feels like Facebook, Reddit, and a few other boards all mish-mashed together. It’s definitely an eyesore.

I’m sure we’ll all get used to it with time, but…ugh. (Although, yes, no more 502/504 errors)

I disagree with the negative assessments, but I do agree that this board is a little bit “Facebooky” compared to the old one. Since I’m very familiar with FB, that doesn’t bother me. But I can see how it would turn off people who are only accustomed to 1980s-style static boards.

I’m sorry you’ve been frustrated. I’ve found it mostly non-frustrating, so far. I found that thread py searching on kill mask and selecting Latest Posts. It came up, I clicked on it, and it took me to the first unread reply.

Might seem kinda weird, and it’s probably just me, but I’m actually beginning to like the board precisely because I don’t see all threads as easily I used to see them.

The only thing I don’t like is that it sometimes takes me too long to scroll down. But that’s really the only negative. I’d take a break and come back in a week or two and accept it for what it is.

I kinda like the reply system. It tells you if a post has had replies, and how many, so that’s kinda cool. If you click it, then you can go ahead and read the replies now, while the context is fresh in your mind. There have been many times on the old board when I would have to scroll back up to get good context on what someone was replying to.

The other way is also useful. If you see a post that is in reply to someone else, in the upper right corner, there will be the posters name and a little arrow. If you click that, it’ll put that post up above the reply, making it much easier to see the context.

It is different and new, and may take some getting used to, but I find it better than how it was before.

This is a great feature. It instantly removes a lot of the gripes we were seeing about very long old threads.

You can also (if on a keyboard device like a desktop or laptop computer) hit the “Home” key to go straight to the beginning of a thread (topic) or the “End” key to go straight to the last post.

@Ulfreida, I would respectfully suggest that there’s a general phenomenon when moving to new technology that the differences and apparent disadvantages compared to what you’ve been used to are immediately obvious, but the many new features that might actually make it a better overall experience sometimes take a while to find out about and get used to. I myself am just blundering about in this new environment not knowing what I’m doing half the time and certainly not using very many of the new features yet, but I’m already starting to feel at home here. Please consider hanging in there for a while longer and giving it a chance, even if it’s far from your concept of ideal.

Much faster, indeed.

What @wolfpup said.
It takes time.

If you’re have a frustrating time, turn it off and come back another day.

But, do come back.

Good idea.

Excellent idea!

I’m sorry you’re having a bad day. Dealing with the frustrations of learning a new site while irritated over the worse frustrations of a terrible day would make most of us boil over.

I’m kind of a techno-idiot and will probably be the last one to learn all the ins and outs here, but the old site was in bad shape and wasn’t fixable. Dealing with repeated 502’s /504’s after a crappy day wouldn’t have been so great, either.

Hope your day got better!

For me, the big issue is still the massive amount of gray space to either side of the area with the text. It takes up nearly half the screen on my desktop or laptop, which drastically reduces how much of a thread I can read at once.

Now some of that is the column where the avatars go, and another small bit is for the scrollbar and the two icons underneath it, but most of it is sheer wasted space.

At least AnalogSignal’s neat white space fix, along with masonite’s explanation of how to use it that a relative techno-dummy like me could follow, has cut way back on the amount of wasted space within the column where the text is. But that still only does but so much. The column itself could be way bigger, and should be.

Try SDMB Light or Dark. It removes a lot of the empty space.

I liked the fact that you could access the old message board via Tapatalk, but I can find a reasonable interface here on Safari so I think I’ll survive. Still not sure how to find my old fave thread preferences. Seems I have to search for them all over again.

Go to categories and choose the forum your favorite thread is in.