Yikes! Earwigs!!

For the first time in the fifteen years that I have lived here were are inundated with Earwigs. They are chomping down the plants and even coming inside. Is there anything short of calling an exterminator that will work?

Earwigs do not usually live by scavenging alone. They also hunt prey. You might have a low level German cockroach or silverfish infestation. Clean your kitchen baseboards and mop the floor. Clean your countertops, dry your sink. and leave no wet dishes anywhere. Put out some roach traps and spread boric acid along the edges of your drawers and cabinets.

Sounds like a very low level infestation. I live in the second most roach infested city in the US. Earwigs are a blessing, but if you can’t even see the roaches, the earwigs can seem disturbing. Kill and clean up the critters the earwigs eat and there will be no earwigs.

Also, while we could have a low level of silverfish or roaches, that would not explain the incredible number that we now have. Why would thousands of them show up hear. And how long does it take for boric acid to work?

If you are in an apartment, or share a wall with a neighbor, you might want to watch Pacific Heights, a movie that may explain where your bugs are coming from.

When we were living in a small village closer to Cape Town we had a huge infestation of crickets some years ago. Withing two weeks of the infestation we had massive flooding, cutting off the village for close on a week. On talking to locals they said that exactly the same had happened some 30 odd years previously.

We live in a detached home, and outside there are millions of the things.

If I were you, I would start building an ark.

The neighbouring village that did not get flooded did not have the “cricket” problem.

Please let us know.

A lot of reasons. A bumper crop of bugs, right when the seasons are changing, will draw them into your house for one.

Have you had a lot of heavy rain in your area recently? That can sometimes send bugs searching for dryness indoors.

My folks get them. Try taking a small plastic food container with a lid (like a pesto or dip or sour cream container), cutting a hole in the top a couple inches wide, and baiting it with a small layer of soapy water, corn syrup, or cooking oil. (Try 'em all, see what works for you.)