Yikes! It's Ike!

That’s okay, now I can say “Sweet Josephine, please don’t follow me home,” and I can make a bad pun and plus, no one will get the Coheed and Cambria reference.

I’m feeling real bad for the Bahamas/Cuba etc., seems like everyone had visited them this season.

I see the 11am update put it heading across the tip of South Florida and across the Keys into the Gulf. Still, Tuesday and Wednesday seems awful far out. I did pick up a few supplies just to have on hand since it’s been awhile for us, but didn’t go crazy because I don’t have room for 20 gallons of bottled water around the house!

The hurricane food of champions: smores stuff, pudding, spaghettios, granola bars, tuna, peanut butter and oh…some canned fruit cause we need something healthy! :stuck_out_tongue:

For the last dozen years along the Texas coast we keep prepping for big storms and then they either fizzle or veer off. Not that I’d like a Cat 5 come pounding but seeing as everyone else from Florida to Lousiana has been hammered recently I’d like to see this one come ashore here in a less dense spot and stall over the Hill Country, bringing much needed rain to their chain of lakes and refilling the Edwards aquifer for San Antonio. So if it was up to me, y’all quit worrying and we’ll handle this’un.

I know, I know… be careful what you wish for.

I’m sure you have one, but for anyone new to the game: be SURE to have a mechanical can opener on hand. :wink:

Ike’s a worryable one for sure, but even tho Hanna has my home Dead On for targeting we’re not too worried about it. I loaded up on beer and smokes yesterday so I should be good.

The Weather Channel is reporting mandatory evacuations for visitors to the Florida Keys starting at 9 a.m. tomorrow, with mandatory evacuations for everyone on Sunday. What a horrible weekend for those people. I spent 14 hours on the Florida Turnpike before Hurricane Frances (it had been expected to hit as a Category 4). This time tomorrow, the roads heading out of the Keys could be the world’s biggest parking lot.

Palm Beach County looks to be out of the woods on this one, at least for the time being. I’ll be following weather reports all weekend in case Ike decides to land further north.

You sound like my brother. His hurricane preparedness kit consists of a stack of graphic novels and a case of Mike’s Hard Lemonade. :smiley:

Good wishes to everyone affected by T.S. Hanna!

I’m in Key Largo, FL and we’re having tourist evacuations Saturday and resident evacuations on Sunday. We’re doing a wait and see for 24 hours and see if Ike still looks like he’s going for us or not. I have a few places north of here to visit with my mutts, so that’s good at least.

This looks ugly as hell, that’s for sure.

Phew. I feel for those poor people in the Keys and elsewhere in Ike’s path, though.

Don’t wait too long, BoBettie. You won’t be able to drive out!

I’ll rally all the other Ohio and Great Lakes Dopers to move the trough wherever it needs to be moved to deflect Ike.

So this is weird- bear in mind, I work on a boat (I’d rather not say what boat, since it would be easily identifiable). My boss sent out a “revised schedule” for the staff for next week, which included reporting to work on Sunday and Monday. Um, we’re supposed to be LEAVING by Sunday afternoon. As in evacuating. I saw this on the Weather Channel (there’s a crawl on the screen about it).

Talk about crazy, you know?

Well, it looks like it’s going to skim the bottom of the state and head out to the Gulf.

I filled up with gas today, just in case they have to shut down the oil rigs again.

We’re still keeping a very close eye on it (no pun intended, I swear) but while Key West looks like it will get it pretty good, we seem to be on the edge for now. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Very Odd Dept: Broadway on Broadway, a huge free outdoor concert in Times Square, is usually held the first Sunday after Labor Day. For whatever reason, this year it is scheduled a week later on September 14th.

Good thing, cause the remmants of Hannah are due to be here tonight & tomorrow.

That reminds me, in case you didn’t know, there is a site called The Oil Drum which will often have updates about the oil industry on evacuations, closings, and damages due to hurricanes in the GOM.

Still looking pretty bad…

It looks like it’s going to miss Florida. Hopefully this isn’t another storm with a hard-on for New Orleans…

Keys are still under Cat 2 or 3 warning, panhandle still in the cone. Check out this map with all the projected paths of the different models. Glad to hear you’re out of the cone ivylass!

The latest projections suggest that Ike will make landfall somewhere in Texas next weekend. I hope my relatives outside of Houston are paying attention.