Yo-Yo Ma: The Std Operating Procedure Sucks

It sounds to me as though you’ve never actually watched a television, and so do not understand that this is, in fact, SOP. It’s hardly “deception” when the entire population of a country knows it is happening and understands it to be the norm. Don’t let that keep you from using emotionally charged language if you’d like.

What else would you call it? From my perspective, watching my television, everything was made to look as if it were a live performance.

This is what should have happened:

“We would very much have liked to join in the celebration of this occasion by performing live. Unfortunately, our instruments will not function in the cold, so we will now play a recording that the four of us made yesterday. We hope you will enjoy it.”

It would be better for you to make an attempt to understand certain cultural norms before you go and make ridiculous demands on performers.

A ridiculous conclusion. I watch television all the time. I don’t, however, find myself in the position of watching recorded music that is made to look a like genuine live performance.

That’s, in fact, the subject of this debate: The S.O.P. sucks.

I would be very curious to see an actual survey of “the entire population” of the country to see what proportion actually knew, while it was going on, that it was recorded.

I’m not saying that they know every single instance, only that it is common & accepted practice.

We had some discussion about this in the Aretha Franklin thread. I thought it was real, too (using heaters) but was told by others in the thread that it was announced the next day that it was pre-recorded. It wasn’t a deception. That’s simply the way it goes when there are string instruments coupled with cold weather.

Frankly, I consider this an insult. What am I, an alien from outer space? I was born in Illinois, grew up in Ohio, and now live in Virginia. I’ve watched television nearly every day of my life. Which part of the culture am I missing out on? Perhaps I’m missing out on the assumptions and professional practices of professional musicians. If that’s the case, then I think the problem is not my lack of understanding of cultural norms but rather the lack of communication between professional musicians and the wider culture.

Which part is ridiculous, the being frank and honest part?

Blah blah blah. Like I said, you need to learn to better understand certain cultural norms before you make ridiculous demands on performers. Tom Hanks does not announce to the world at the beginning of a movie that he was faking that whole part about being stranded on a deserted island for four years. Yes, it is frank and honest, but unnecessary.

I’m sorry to hear that your appreciation for music is such that your enjoyment goes down substantially when it is not live.

Again, I ask, which part is ridiculous and what makes it ridiculous.

And I think you’re mistaken about the norm here. I don’t believe I’m the only one who assumed that what looked like a live performance was actually a live performance.

I don’t believe this is a “cultural norm” at all. If it is as common as you say, then I think it’s rather a standard practice of consumer deception on the part of (musical) service providers.

Do you really see a live performance at a supposedly real event as being comparable to a scripted work of fiction? Why not save our new president and chief justice from the risk of freezing weather and instead sent out look-alikes of Obama and Roberts to perform the oath of office outdoors while the real Obama and Roberts do it privately indoors? What’s the difference so long as it looks real?

[quote=“acsenray, post:30, topic:483073”]

[quote=“Labrador_Deceiver, post:28, topic:483073”]

Blah blah blah. Like I said, you need to learn to better understand certain cultural norms before you make ridiculous demands on performers.

There’s a very real difference difference in the analogy you’re attempting to draw. Musical instruments are extremely sensitive to minute changes in temperature and humidity. The human body is much more robust, and no one was going to be judging them (i.e. Obama and Roberts) based on their intonation.

And where exactly do you get that? In fact, I think I said “I listen to recordings.” I love recorded music, I listen to recordings daily. But I see no reason to watch someone miming to a recording – what’s the point? If I want to listen to a recording, I listen to a recording. But when I am viewing what seems to be a live performance, then it should be a genuine live performance; otherwise, it’s wasting my time.

I’m with the OP. Not a burning issue and not the biggest affront to human dignity and rationality out there. But mimes? We don’ need no stinkin’ mimes.

I assume the OP and I suffered similar injuries to the forehead (from intense eye-rolling) over the Chinese sending CGI feeds during the opening ceremonies that neither of us watched. Again, not really that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, but ridiculous none the less.

I suppose some water ballet in the Reflecting Pool would have been a nice touch, and with a nice feed and some chroma-keying could have been accomplished. Why didn’t they go that far?

The deception is of exactly the same nature.

It doesn’t matter why you’re doing, but if you’re going to do it, you shouldn’t do it in a deceptive manner. Miming is deception, unless you state explicitly “We’re going to mime our performance now.”

Miming in a fictional movie is not deception, because the assumption is that everything is fake.

I get that from the following

You explicitly state that if a given performance is actually not “live” performance, then you are no longer interested in the performance. The only way I know how to interpret that is that you enjoy the performance less after knowing that it is not live.

This is approaching an entirely new issue here, but does that mean your assumption in everyday life is that everything is not fake? I agree with you that in a movie it’s both obvious and implied that everything is fake. The way you worded your above phrase leads me to believe your default assumption when you’re walking around is that everything you encounter is real.

No, I’m no longer interested in the show, if the show is nothing more than miming to a recording. I’ll listen to the recording at my convenience (if it’s good), without the superfluous miming.

I already made it pretty clear that it is unnecessary to screw with the audience’s suspension of disbelief to that degree. The vast majority of those who have watched any music outdoors or on television, in an event that isn’t designed specifically to be a paid concert of that performer’s music, know that dubbed music is a very real possibility.

You can rant and rave about it all you want, calling it “deception” and the like, but you’re aren’t going to get the amount of vitriol from the general public that you would like.

Your analogies about look-alikes is nonsensical, since performs who are performing to live music are doing so to their own music. When they aren’t, people get pissed. Your analogy would work better if Obama was shown ceremoniously signing a fake piece of legislation on TV for the cameras, when the actual official document was signed quietly some hours before.

Do those giant fake checks they give out to award winners piss you off too?

This is my position as well. I understand that Pres. Obama invited them personally, but at some point someone should have either come up with a way to keep the instruments and performers comfortably warm enough so they could play well - or chosen different musicians. I don’t think anyone would have cared that they would play with less fragile instruments.

Did the marching bands in the parade march along to pre-recorded music?

Re: “cultural norms”

When something is presented as “live”, I take it to mean that everything is happening right then. Sure it’s been rehearsed to death to make it as mistake free as possible, but otherwise, this is it.

What’s the point of taking the time and effort to tune in, or go see a “live” performance if they’re only going to play a recording you could listen to at anytime?

He doesn’t watch sports, parades or music shows, so he didn’t catch that.

Nobody particularly enjoys watching a mimed performance, particularly if it is obviously bad. However, they aren’t going to pick up pitchforks and start demanding disclaimers by musicians, either.