You Are A Billionaire - Want A Chauffeur?

Absolutely. I’m sure someone will say this is opinion is an example of class prejudice, but I honestly think a rich person getting a DUI should be punished more because it’s a situation so much easier for someone like that to prevent.

I would hire a part time chauffeur. The minor convenience of being able to do stuff while driven around is trumped by the fact that I enjoy my privacy. But for parties and long trips, heck yeah.

Instead of a chauffeur or taxis, I’d just maintain an account with a private car service, on the understanding that a car would be sent within ten minutes of my call.

Do most rich people even have chauffeurs any more? I think they were necessary in decades past when cars were less reliable and the chauffeur also maintained the cars and washed them. Now, of course, even low-end cars are very reliable.

And even more that a chauffeur, the great luxury of being really rich would be to fly in a private plane (either one I owned, a charter or through NetJets).

I would have on in a New York minute. I would, however, have my own machine gun in the back seat, just because I don’t know if the chauffeur would have enough sense to know how to use proper evasion techniques in case some kidnappers were to get any foolish ideas.

I have never ever had my driver’s license (I’m 33.) A limo would be a hell of an upgrade over the bus.

Now, to me, having someone else available to do the drive-through at McDonald’s is one of the real perks of having a Chauffeur.

I say “I’d like a Shamrock Shake, Please”

and the chauffeur makes it happen.

All I have to do is pay the chauffeur at the end of the month, and make sure there’s always some petty cash available.

Absolutely. The order of things I want if I get that billion is:

1. Mansion
  2. Cleaning staff
  3. Chauffeur

The chauffeur would come before the gardener, trainer, stylist, cook, etc. I don’t drive (I have a license, but I hate driving), and while I manage O.K., my life would be so much nicer with a chauffeur.

Why couldn’t I have invented Spanx?

I enjoy driving most of the time, and I tend to want to be in control when I’m on the road. So I’d have a chauffeur on stand-by if I were feeling particularly lazy (or if I knew I was going to be sitting in a lot of traffic), but I’d prefer to drive myself the vast majority of the time.

You make a good point. I live in a small town, and if there are more than four or five people in line I just go somewhere else. But my chauffeur could get in line and do the waiting after he drops me off at Wal Mart (ha! Like that’s going to happen anymore! It will be Target once I have money!)

So I change my response.

If I’m running errands around town or going to Ohio, I’d love having someone else drive.

If I’m heading up into the mountains, I’ll do the driving.

Why involve the chauffeur? If I’m that rich, I’m going to have a personal assistant.

I’ll need both to carry the load. I’m going to have a hell of a long list at Target.

Do I need a driver if I have a helicopter, a 747, and pilots for both?

Oh sure, why not? My driver can drive right up the plane’s cargo ramp.

Asimovian, we know from a thread not long ago that you recently got your private pilot’s license.

If I was a billionaire, I’d be thinking about just what kind of private airplane(s) I would be getting. And whether I would want to hire pilots, or fly them myself!

How about you?

I can’t drive, so I picked Yes, even though I’d prefer to be somewhat autonomous and get to places via public transport as much as I could, even if I was super-duper rich. But that’s likely unrealistic, and probably I’d either learn to drive, or get a chauffeur, or both.

If I went for a long drive I couldn’t bear having someone else in my car but one of my peers.

I don’t like to drive - it’s a necessary evil as far as I’m concerned. So I’d love to have someone else deal with it for me, along with keeping the vehicle in top condition mechanically and visually. I don’t know a lot about luxury cars, but mine would be the equivalent of a rolling living room - comfy seating, good TV and sound system, perfect temperature control, insulated from the aggravations of the road. Yeah, that would work. :smiley:

Hell, I recommended this to a friend of far more modest means. He used to run a medium-sized business and he drove over 50K miles per year. It would have made sense for him to have a chauffeur to drive him everywhere so he could work in the back and be fresher for meetings.

So hire a billionaire as a driver.

I’d have a laptop with 4G wireless capability and a chauffeur. I like driving, I’m quite good at it, but it is not as mentally engaging as the Internet. That said, I’d probably live in some Florida enclave on the beach and would really only need a car to travel to nice restaurants.