You control where and when a group or cause you hate is going to protest - what's your choice?

That Onion article about a Black Lives Matter group protesting the lack of proper African representation in ISIS/ISIL and doing human chains to prevent their armed trucks from getting to their genocide destination with ISIS completely bewildered on how to stop it sounds about right.

Other - inside the Capitol. Why should ordinary citizens have to suffer?

Center of an active lava-filled volcano. Even the signs would burn.

Chernobyl.

I would want the group to maximize how annoying they are so their attention grab backfires on them, so I pick that they “Shutting down a major highway in the middle of rush hour traffic, in a major city” and that city should also be annoying, so somewhere on the west coast, like Portland or Seattle.

But at night time, so they don’t hurt themselves.

Hey, I’m not a MONSTER.

Then it would make sense to assess “where it was before the protest.” If it was effectively invisible, then preventing it from attaining visibility would be the way to go. Only if the vegetarian restaurant puppy-falafel movement had achieved a significant level of notoriety that they were trying to parlay into greater active support would it make sense to try to associate them with the idea of “things that inconvenience Joe Sixpack.”

Anyway, what’s the big idea, assigning me authority to decree the when and where of the demonstration without giving me the power to simply ban the organization by fiat?

Chain Locker. Titanic.

Front and center in the town square, just like any other group or cause, whether I support them or not. Free speech and all that.

I’d want them to protest where they want to protest, even if I opposed their cause, and even if it messed up my commute. What is this push for convenient democracy that says “Yeah, yeah, yeah, just don’t make my commute longer”?

I get that the OP is about groups I hate. I loathe the West Baptist Church, but as sickened and outraged as I am by them and all they stand for, I’m not going to limit where they get to protest. Come on, we all know the Right to Assemble Peaceably is easy to believe in when we’re not inconvenienced and we agree with the protestors, but that it’s when it inconveniences us or when we oppose the protestors’ goals that it’s most important to defend it.

I mean, don’t we?

Drop the threadshitting. If you think the poll is stupid, move on. We don’t all need to know how stupid you think someone’s thread idea is.

Missed the edit window. That should be Westboro Baptist Church.

I, for one, would support kids being issued Role Playing Games.

I would repeal whatever laws or regulations were in place requiring them to have a permit in the first place. I would encourage and support non-violent protests. I would meet violent protests with quick and overwhelming force, that force if possible targeting the actual violence and allowing the rest of the protest to proceed.

It’s good that people’s lives are disrupted by protesters, just not violent ones.