You don't like tattoos, Clothahump. We get it.

How much of that is, you know, simple politeness? Even if somebody hates tattoos and thinks they look awful and that it’s terrible that people have them, once you tell them you have a tattoo, if they then go on criticizing, it turns into a personal thing.

Well, shofar sho good.

Lame sauce for a pitting. You don’t like my opinion, that’s fine. But pitting me because you don’t like an opinion that I have stated what…three times in eleven or so years?

I really do try to be nicer to folks in most cases, but in this case, Rachel: go eat a big steaming bowl of shut the fuck up.

It’s not your opinion, it’s the way you say it. I’m glad you hate girls with tattoos, that means more pussy more me, and more of you jerking off in the dark wondering why no one will sleep with you.

Point being, they really are not all the same. A small butterfly on the wrist does not equal a giant naked lady on the back!

For myself, it’s mainly the trendiness of it. It seems like *everyone * has them now, when it used to be something limited to bikers, sailors, and circus performers. Now every Becky out there thinks a tattoo will make her soooooooo unique, but since they’re no longer considered out of the ordinary, people end up going overboard with them just to stand out. First of all, Becky, most tattoos are poorly done, of questionable artistry, and are jarring aesthetically. A half sleeve of corpse heads and black roses is not a good look. Second, covering your body with tattoos is no substitute for developing a personality. Your generic burning hearts, birds, flowers, Chinese characters, and dragons don’t make you interesting.

Earlier this year I had my world turned on its head.

I always hated tattoos. HATED. Then I had a month and a half fling with a woman that had a discrete little one and when she was naked that tiny little mark was the sexiest thing imaginable. I just couldn’t explain it.

Pity she turned out to be a bit weird in other ways and it all fell apart. Man, she was hot.

Here you go.

So…what happens if none of that stuff applies? I can only talk about myself, so:

1. I admit, I got my tattoo because it is so mainstream and not as horrific to get one.
  2. But I never thought it would make me unique.
  3. I researched and found an artist whose work I liked. It is well-done and small and not jarring aesthetically - it’s a lovely copper color against the light brown of my inner wrist.
  4. I think I already have a personality. :stuck_out_tongue:
  5. It’s an ‘Om’. I don’t know if it’s generic or not, but it’s not something I picked at random out of a book. It’s something that has great meaning in my culture/religion.

But even after all that, people are like TATTOOS OMG! Tattoos are not all the same, and I always point out that I am totally judgy about, for example, tattoos in a language you don’t even speak. But that doesn’t really make me form judgements about the person as a whole.

You don’t like tats? Eat my fucking shorts. News! Breaking news! You’ll be FUCKING DEAD SHORTLY !!! And who exactly will give a flying fuck?

Judgemental fucking dork fuck. Piss up a rope.

p.s. i have got big big ass shorts. Fine stew, those fuckers would make.

You know, decaf is just as tasty.

Well, of course it’s just politeness. I’m sure many of those people go on thinking tattoos are trashy and the only people who get them are low-lifes and prostitutes (despite the fact that I am neither). I just find it fun to watch them scramble to qualify their criticisms. The point is that, while I believe that Clothahump truly hates tattoos, I don’t believe for a second that he tells tattooed people that in real life, and that includes the story about walking away from sex with a girl he liked just because of a tiny butterfly tattoo. I call shenanigans on that.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I got my tattoo because I liked it, not out of some misguided quest for uniqueness or personality. Since very few people even know I have it I don’t see how it would succeed in providing either of those things anyways. And I’m far from alone - there are lots of people who have tattoos that hardly anyone ever sees.

To me it’s just something that you like the look of and like the idea of and therefore decide to do - like getting a certain haircut or colour, or piercing your ears. Why doesn’t anyone bemoan the fact that ear-piercing is soooo trendy and practically every single girl does it because she thinks it makes her soooo unique?

I know, I know, you’ll say that the difference is that it’s permanent. I just don’t find that a very compelling argument. Why does that make any difference to the onlooker? They’re not the one who has to live with it. I don’t really care if someone dislikes tattoos and I sure as hell don’t care if someone chooses not to get one themselves. I just don’t understand or appreciate those who care so much, and make these sweeping generalizations about all tattooed people and how terrible and stupid they supposedly are.

Well, you’ve got me there.

Meh. I’ll say what I always say in these threads.

I tend to assume people who hate tattoos, particularly those who judge others with tattoos, are expressing their prejudice against the working class and their distaste for the poor. I’m aware that not only poor people have tattoos, but dress codes tend to be stricter in white collar jobs so you’re not as likely to see someone majorly decorated.

I have a tattoo, it’s small and almost inconsequential - I can hide it under a watch. I got it for personal reasons, I don’t care about impressing anyone with it, I use it for its intended purpose (mindfulness) every day, I have never cared what is ‘‘trendy,’’ and I think having a tattoo is a dumb reason to judge someone.

I don’t automatically dislike people with tattoos. I know for a fact that daily I come in contact with numerous people that have tattoos that I am never aware of. My thoughts are, if you want to work for me in a professional setting, your tats better be able to be covered by a button up shirt and slacks. Many customers may not care, but many others would see it as unprofessional to have garish or otherwise distracting body illustrations on the person they are doing business with. For Some occupations and employers it is no problem, for others it is.

My real pet peeve though, is those that do have bold tats in places that are essentially in-concealable (side of neck, back of hands, fingers, face) and yet insist it has nothing to do with drawing attention to themselves. Sorry, you are just kidding yourself.

Fascinating theory, professor. If I think the mullet is a stupid-looking haircut, does that mean I’m anti-union?

As a person with multiple tattoos, I think it’s funny when someone says they don’t like tattoos. Unless someone is holding you down and tattooing you, what’s your beef with what I do? Why is it a big deal to you?

On one occasion, a woman was going on and on about how all women with tattoos are “lacking in morals”. Yes, that’s just how she said it. The look on her face when I pulled up my pantsleg to expose the bottom of my legpiece was priceless.

No, I didn’t confront her on her opinion of my morals. I just walked away laughing. For some reason (I guess my lack of morals) she has avoided me since then.

I mean, I’m personally aesthetically offended by SHITTY tattoos, but I’d still hire a guy with one as long as it didn’t say “fuck you” or something similar.

Is it possible for someone to not like tattoos yet at the same time be totally ok with other people getting them and also not think any less of someone who has them? I generally don’t care for the way tattoos look on people but that’s where it stops. It’s no different to me than not liking their hairstyle or something. Other than some ink in their skin, I don’t think people with tattoos are any different than those without them.

These threads always go the same way. Clearly the comments from Clothy that spawned this thread were asinine but whenever this happens the histrionics from some of the people who happen to have tattoos are ridiculously over the top and hypocritical. There isn’t anything wrong with people who don’t care for tattoos. There is something wrong with people of both types who paint with a retardedly wide brush.

I think you are all giving the Humper an unfair shake for getting up and leaving the woman the moment he saw the tattoo.

For all you know it might have said “I have herpes,” or “I will wait until you are asleep and then I will cut your penis off.”

If it was me, and it was either of those tattoos, I would have done the same thing.

Hell, I’d be damn grateful. At least she’s giving advance warning.